Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th August 2016, 09:40   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!

I have always viewed people who do this as the equivalent of motorcyclists without helmets. You just do not stick yourself outside of a moving vehicle and expect to not get hurt at some point. Unfortunate that the child had to pay the ultimate price for its parents' ignorance. I wonder when will health and safety be taken seriously in this country?
motorhead16 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 10:21   #77
BHPian

Sad to hear about this very unfortunate incident, but this could happen to anyone and in any vehicle.

My brother-in-law once narrowly escaped a similar incident when he was driving a bike and he noticed the kite string just in time and narrowly missed it by ducking, but had his finger cut as he had to use his hand to dodge the string.
Car-go-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 11:41   #78
BHPian

During my graduation days in Jaipur (jagatpura), while standing in our balcony we witnessed a middle aged man on scooter just falling on the highway. Initially we couldn't judge it was due to manjha which was lying across the road. He ran towards our building with hands on his face, all covered with blood. His upper nose was cut very badly and may be his eyes. As we didn't had any first aid, we stopped a car and asked the driver to drop him at near by hospital. That day I realized how lethal the manjha can be. It should be strictly prohibited in cities and only be allowed in open fields.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 19th August 2016 at 11:42.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 13:27   #79
BHPian

Hi guys,
It is not just manjha that is the culprit.Even ordinary kite string can prove lethal.
Check out the link below, esp. point no.8
http://www.awindofchange.com/lessons/lesson1-1.html

The fact is kite flying in a country like India must be regulated where the public is not endangered in "any" way. I want my son to experience the same joy that I felt when I flew my first kite. Sadly present day scenario prevents me from doing so, as any form of kite flying (with or without manjha) poses a risk to the common public.
Neil Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 13:42   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post

The fact is kite flying in a country like India must be regulated where the public is not endangered in "any" way. I want my son to experience the same joy that I felt when I flew my first kite. Sadly present day scenario prevents me from doing so, as any form of kite flying (with or without manjha) poses a risk to the common public.
How do you ensure safe kite flying? Even in an open ground, once the kite is loose, its free to land wherever it wants along with the string attached.

How do people in foreign countries manage to avoid such incidents?
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 13:44   #81

The HT article says that 'a case of negligence would be registered'. If anyone, the parents are to blame for doing this. They should've known better than to stick limbs out of a moving vehicle, manjha or no manjha. Hit the brakes suddenly while a kid is peeping out of the sunroof and they'll get a snapped spine with lifelong paralysis at best, and decapitation at worst.
Detritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 16:28   #82
BHPian

Poking one's head out from the sunroof can also be dangerous, in case, whereby there is a need to apply emergency brakes.

Still, yesterday on the eve of Raksha Bandhan, I saw my sis-in-law leave with her husband and child in their Audi with the child towering through the sunroof upto his chest and his arms spread out above his head. All this in spite of living in the city where both the unfortunate incidents with the children have happened. People are still willing to take the risk of their child's life just to satisfy their child's whims or maybe showing off or both.
autoholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 16:29   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How do you ensure safe kite flying? ...
Create designated kite flying zones, create specific days for kite flying and inform the people in the vicinity of such activities. It is not that difficult.My point is that manjha or otherwise, sticking your head out when lots of kites are flying about is dangerous for even adults.
Accidents always happen, but can be reduced by heightened awareness of your surrounding environment. In this case, the parents must have seen kites flying around, still they were not aware of the risk they were exposing their child to. That does not reduce their pain or anguish in any way though. Cant even imagine what they must be going through.
Neil Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 16:46   #84
BHPian

Sad incident, hope people read and understand the basic safety aspects.
Accidents do occur but unless we learn and awaken ourselves and our fellow drivers we are just letting it happen and keep talking.
My company had recently issued a circular that for road trips for official work all passengers are supposed to wear seat belts. Not only do I follow it, I insist my co-passengers as well to follow.
Sadly, not everyone listens, chalta hai attitude continues.

My first team bhp sticker on my car was of "I drive Safe", lets add another sticker stating "Let's Drive Safe", guess it's bhpians moral responsibility to spread awareness.
How much it will affect, well, don't want to think about it.

God Bless all those who die of carelessness.
mahen_narang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 16:56   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
What happened was tragic and there is nothing anyone can do to change the course of event !!

Manjha (Kite String) sale should be banned unconditionally, i am all for Kite flying heck its one of the things my Grandpa taught me and i absolutely enjoy it but world has changed a lot nowadays and simple thing like Kite String has also evolved like our weapons

Kids are getting their hands cut / Bird are getting sliced up and then accidents like this

Why so annoyed you ask - Imagine riding with Full Face helmet on city roads thinking... I got ride safe & keep eye on surroundings nothing will happen and Bam all of sudden you feel something went pass and you have cut on your neck thanks to some Kid enjoying Kite flying on street
I agree 100% with your views. If we do a root cause analysis, kids playing on the street is because we have not made legal space for them to play. There are no playgrounds, no parks (at least which are close by to residential areas and safe enough for kids to play unsupervised) and not even enough footpaths for people to walk. We may succeed in banning kite flying, but pretty soon it will be replaced by something else equally dangerous. But no excuses for the bad parenting demonstrated by the parent, who allowed his kid to stand with the head out of the sunroof when the car was in motion. Ideally the government can bring about a case on carelessness on the parent. Such parents may have their kid taken away by social services in the US.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 19th August 2016 at 16:58.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 17:14   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
It could happen to a two wheeler rider and would be just as sad. same level of risk that a two wheeler carries with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I think this manjha crap needs to be handled very fast urgently. A long time killer of birds, now even humans are victims. I have heard similar news peaking in Jan-Feb.

The kids peeked out of the sunroof, but a biker/bicyclist is ever at risk with these killer threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Clearly, its the manja that is the greater evil (in this case). A two wheeler rider's neck is only a few inches lower than a kid sticking its head out of the sunroof and is just as susceptible.

How many 2W do we have in India compared to kids sticking heads out of sunroofs? 1: 1_million !!

Charging parents is like putting salt on wounds...

This is a systemic problem and needs a systemic solution

Not sure what you mean? Are you saying an incident like this is unavoidable?

Both are fun... buttt they have to be practiced and enjoyed in a safe manner

Kites should be flown in open areas/fields and sunroof should be enjoyed while seated and belted
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
It DOES happen to a lot of two wheeler riders, people travelling on manually pulled rickshaws, and people just walking down a road or street. I still remember the cut on my throat while I was riding a scooter many years back.

The accumulated deaths would easily run into hundreds, and injuries into thousands if not lakhs. It happens predominantly in smaller town of North India, so seldom gets the attention it deserves. And the whole thing got aggravated big time with these Chinese manjhas, that's when the injuries started getting converted into deaths.

Unless the cost of storing, selling, buying or using this Manjha is made as strict as carrying illegal weapons, nothing will improve.

Completely agree with all of you above gentlemen for accusing this Manjha crap as a major culprit in this particular freak accident than the sunroof thing. With due respect to others, these were the only posts that seemed to have balanced practical views and laid emphasis on the perils of both - people peeking through the sunroof in a moving car and flying kite in public places. Most importantly pointing out this stupid Manjha as a direct causation of this accident and a major blame to be put on, since it could have happened to any person who was riding on a two wheeler with or without helmet or simply walking down or jogging along the road or the kid who is enjoying the ride in a roller coaster or giant wheel or anything of that sort in that local fair in your town. No brainer this, since a kite thread can land anywhere and everywhere when people fly kite in public places and on top of this, using the manjha which is sharp and explicitly dangerous. I too had tried preparing this manjha thread at home when I was a kid, but my parents intervened and dealt with me sternly for doing that nonsense and never allowed me to fly a kite with such a dangerous thread.

I do accept the fact that parents allowing their kids to peek through the sunroof in a fast moving car ( or even slow as pointed out by some) throwing safety to wind is dangerous too given all the consequences that has been talked enough in this thread. But I am taking a wild guess - the parents involved in this particular tragic event might have also been knowing all this back in their mind but were negligent for some moment. However I am quite sure they wouldn't have thought even remotely that a thing like ''manjha'' out of nowhere could take their little one's life when half her body was outside that sunroof

Now, if we are to talk about randomly flying objects coming and hitting people who are popping their heads out of sunroof, in my honest opinion though it is 100% true, the thinking is too much a stretch ! Brings us to the same question as to what about pedestrians then, the two wheeler riders though with helmet on, the cyclists etc. who all are directly exposed to all five natural elements and hundreds of man made stupid stuffs ?? When I was a kid of 8th std, I was once walking back to home after school and a randomly lying stone on the road was flung towards me by a truck when it passed over the stone. I had some bleeding thats all, but I am sure no one was to blame here . It just ''happened''.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
[b]How many 2W do we have in India compared to kids sticking heads out of sunroofs? 1: 1_million !!

+1 to that. You brought out a most relevant question when most discussions centred around ''sunroof''.

Lot of families in India have always been a middle class who cannot afford to buy a car. If such parents are to send their kids to school they will do it either on the 2 wheeler/ resorting to rickshaws or school buses. But we know how kids are literally stuffed into those Autos or omni vans and are rashly driven. School buses have their fair share of stories to tell. Result is parents prefer to drop/pick kids to school or ride around in town on their own two wheeler. I don't see anything wrong or outright dangerous in this as long as they ride safe/slow adhering to traffic rules. When they could not afford for a car, they resorted to manage the safety of the kids within whatever their capacity was,please.

The whole point I want to say is that sunroof has partly contributed to this tragedy and parents were definitely wrong/negligent towards safety but a major causative factor was - Manjha. IMHO, talking about sunroofs to such lengths as far as this particular case and many such similar cases are concerned, it does not hold valid when you compare it with instances where human beings of all ages are inevitably exposed to natural dangers due to the inherent pattern of a vehicle or inherent pattern of their job or living conditions etc.

Had the same incident happened to a kid on a two wheeler , this thread would have veered off in a completely different direction but ''Manjha '' would remain common, isn't it ? Hope its amply clear as to who the culprit was. Or still parents to blame for carrying kids on two wheelers in the first place ? I know your answer including mine, to the latter question is definitely NO.

Being a Doctor, I get to see and handle a lot of variety of gory accidents even involving kids at the Emergency department but since most such cases come from rural places, small towns, construction sites etc, they go highly unnoticed and unreported in the media.

The classic case where parents would be to blame solely is when kid in the back seat is left alone without strapping him/her to the seat and then the kid climbs up into the rear boot space, all this while parents are not watchful on him and unfortunately a truck rear ends this car and the kid dies. If my memory serves right, this incident happened in Bangalore last year.

Last edited by vivek95 : 19th August 2016 at 17:24. Reason: spell check
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 17:24   #87

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2016 at 09:09.
aahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th August 2016, 17:31   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
That is really saddening, but could it not happen to just about any two wheeler rider as well???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
It could happen to a two wheeler rider and would be just as sad. But what makes this ironic is that people are buying expensive vehicles equipped with airbags and the like and then exposing their children to the same level of risk that a two wheeler carries with it.
This is very heart wrenching accident. This happens quite often with 2 wheelers in Delhi every year in this kite flying season. Unsuspecting victims does not had reaction time to understand what is happening & till the time they do, they either have a serious throat cut or a dangerous fall. When there are thousands of kites flying & falling down with meters long manjha attached, its a death trap for 2 wheelers especially on Delhi's busiest roads.
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 17:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

Sad.
Apologies if this seems a harsh statement but the parents are to be blamed for letting their kids stick their heads out of the sunroof in the first place.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 19:07   #90
BHPian

I cant even imagine one's own kid suffering such a fate in his/her arms. The helplessness that the parents should have felt is unfathomable.

The problem is neither the manjha nor the sunroof

1. It should not have necessarily been the sunroof. Even if the kid was travelling on a bike or on top of an open truck or on top of a bus, which is very normal in India, this would have happened.

2. It should not have necessarily been the manjha. Even if it was any other sharp thread or any other sharp object for that matter, this would have happened.

So the issue issue here is neither the sunroof nor the manjha, it is the ignorance of the people. Everyone is at fault here. The parents who allowed the kid to stick her head out of the sunroof, the person who was flying the kite totally ignorant that it can kill someone, the person who made / sold the thread, the government who allows such dangerous things, you and me and the parent's friends and relatives and instructors who did not educate them how to safely use a sunroof.

The fault is in all of us. Neither the manjha nor the sunroof !
Anand3553 is offline   Reply With Quote