Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th September 2016, 15:39   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Small accident while returning from Pondicherry; saved by Dashcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post

Personally, this was a much needed wake up call. I am starting for my 2500 kms road trip this Saturday and I am definitely going to be more careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
And in my experience, people crossing the road at an angle will never stop. They will expect you to slow-down or brake.

Safest option is to brake straight away to stop before the spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
i would stop completely and then move on. I will never assume that the opposite person would stop.
Thanks for your comments and it is right. In my case this whole incident happened all of a sudden, he was moving on pavement of the right hand side of the road before and suddenly crossed over. It was not a junction as well to expect someone almost vertically crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
One question I have - if it is proven beyond any doubt that the fault was completely the other guy's, why should you be expected to pay for any damages to the motorcycle? In fact, he's the one who should be paying for any damage to your car!

Cheers
It was mainly to avoid any future implications from this incident, and make him avoid filing a case in the local police station in the future regarding any damages, we will have to go all the way and incur expenses and wastage of our time. Will be easy for him to file a complaint and a painful process for us all the way from Bangalore to go there for anything.

If the accident has caused any physical damages to the bike rider, then I would have been in more trouble, starting with medical aid and expenses and other expenses. We were much relieved that nothing of that happened in this.

Last edited by narayanang76 : 7th September 2016 at 15:49.
narayanang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 15:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good that you had a dash cam installed and that saved you a lot of troubles.

But going by the photos uploaded, you could have already applied the brakes at the 15:34:17 juncture. There were a good 2-3 seconds before impact and the biker is going to cross lane is apparent at around 15:34:16/17.
I think 2-3 seconds is a good enough time to bring the car to halt.

Maybe the footage, once uploaded, will throw more clarity.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 16:13   #18
BHPian

Smile Re: Small accident while returning from Pondicherry; saved by Dashcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Good that you had a dash cam installed and that saved you a lot of troubles.

But going by the photos uploaded, you could have already applied the brakes at the 15:34:17 juncture. There were a good 2-3 seconds before impact and the biker is going to cross lane is apparent at around 15:34:16/17.
I think 2-3 seconds is a good enough time to bring the car to halt.

Maybe the footage, once uploaded, will throw more clarity.
It is quite deceiving to look at the images I have posted and make all those analysis/decisions later, compared to what happens in real time.

In this case, going by the images, at 17 seconds, we could make out that he is going to cross, at 19 sec the impact is done. Just 2 seconds. I cannot comment now at which seconds I had applied brakes, am almost assuming that it must be at 17 seconds.
narayanang76 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 23:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thank god - nothing happened to you.

Would you mind sharing what dash cam you have please and is that available in india or in abroad only?

After reading so much about dashcams, I am really looking to get a dashcam for my car. The maniacs on the road seem to be increasing day by day.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
In this case, going by the images, at 17 seconds, we could make out that he is going to cross, at 19 sec the impact is done. Just 2 seconds. I cannot comment now at which seconds I had applied brakes, am almost assuming that it must be at 17 seconds.
I appreciate your presence of mind after the crash especially when the 'guy with cap' took away the keys. He expected you to panic and understand that he is in control of the scenario. He would then talk to the crowd/victim on your behalf and gradually arrive at a settlement and take his cut from it after you leave. But when you kept your cool without reacting he must have got the clue that nothing is going to cook in his favour.

I experienced a very similar situation and my wife dealt it really well. Reminds me of a proverb - "Speech is silver. Silence is gold."

And in my opinion, you could have applied brakes, steered right (as no vehicle is seen in the opposite direction) and proceeded. But only you knew the real time scenario and I hope you did your best

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 8th September 2016 at 11:18.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 11:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Would you mind sharing what dash cam you have please and is that available in india or in abroad only?
My Dashcam is SJCAM SJ4000 Wifi, it is available in India through Amazon, but prices are high. You will get best prices from Aliexpress. The details are available in the page 1 of this thread itself.

Also there are quite different other brands and models available, please check on the Dashcam thread in Team-BHP for latest info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
And in my opinion, you could have applied brakes, steered right (as no vehicle is seen in the opposite direction) and proceeded. But only you knew the real time scenario and I hope you did your best
You are right, I also thought about the same, however this is a matter of 2 seconds decision and actions. And the natural reflex reaction will be to move away from an object than steering directly onto it. And what if he had suddenly decided to stay on the other side of the road?

I have definitely applied brakes after seeing him crossing and I still believe that what I did was the only thing I could have done at that time.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:14   #22
BHPian

A dash cam has become necessary now. People would just start accusing "badi" car waala unless you have evidence to prove otherwise. My tryst with "almost" one such incident.
AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
A dash cam has become necessary now. People would just start accusing "badi" car waala unless you have evidence to prove otherwise. My tryst with "almost" one such incident.
I am not a lawyer, so take what I write with a pinch of salt. My understanding is that India follows the concept of "defensive" driving, where you have to anticipate anything and everything and act accordingly.

Had you run over that chap, you would have been in trouble, at least till the time the court did not set you free. There was a recent case in Bangalore where a jerk was doing wheelies on his bike, and his gf, who was riding pillion, slipped and fell on the road. A tempo/ goods carrying autorickshaw went over her, and she died. The driver of this tempo was arrested as well.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I am not a lawyer, so take what I write with a pinch of salt. My understanding is that India follows the concept of "defensive" driving, where you have to anticipate anything and everything and act accordingly.

Had you run over that chap, you would have been in trouble, at least till the time the court did not set you free. There was a recent case in Bangalore where a jerk was doing wheelies on his bike, and his gf, who was riding pillion, slipped and fell on the road. A tempo/ goods carrying autorickshaw went over her, and she died. The driver of this tempo was arrested as well.
I agree. But, it's still to be in jail for a short while and set free than stay there for long. That's where these footages help. Also, I have been told by a police guy that if someone gets into an accident, the first one to call the police is at advantage. So, if someone hits a jaywalker also, bolt away from the car and call the police. Waiting would only cause getting battered by idiots.
AZ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
I agree. But, it's still to be in jail for a short while and set free than stay there for long. That's where these footages help. Also, I have been told by a police guy that if someone gets into an accident, the first one to call the police is at advantage. So, if someone hits a jaywalker also, bolt away from the car and call the police. Waiting would only cause getting battered by idiots.
I agree with you- having footage is better than no footage at all. This is the reason why my car has a dashcam. Just wanted to temper expectations.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote