Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd September 2016, 16:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The guy says he wasn't driving. His "friend" says he was. Some friendship!

Actually, my first interpretation was something akin to what one would say during aquaplaning- " I hit a patch of water, and then I was reduced to being a mere passenger!".
But rereading the bail plea has left me confused.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
The guy says he wasn't driving. His "friend" says he was. Some friendship!

The friend is a used car dealer by profession. The porsche is registered to some third party - a travel agency in Delhi that offers ground transportation for large corporates, and is probably disposing of one of their older vehicles

My guess is this was a test drive - done at night because of the sort of car this is - that went horribly wrong.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:15   #48
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Newsflash: Driverless cars launched in Chennai, India. Tesla, Google, etc. all astounded.
When contacted for a comment, Salman Khan said "Having owned a prototype years ago, I knew we had the know-how to get these cars on the road"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The friend is a used car dealer by profession. The porsche is registered to some third party - a travel agency in Delhi that offers ground transportation for large corporates, and is probably disposing of one of their older vehicles

My guess is this was a test drive - done at night because of the sort of car this is - that went horribly wrong.
Exactly my thoughts! Probably was a test drive that went wrong and obviously no one wants to take the blame due to a death involved. Car may have been put on sale by the dealer, F1600 champ goes for a test drive, has an accident, one person killed. Easy to blame someone since no eye witnesses were around.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:22   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Professional racer Vikash Anand drives drunk; kills one with his Porsche Cayman

All this "Stomach Pain" nonsense and the hospital rigmarole is exactly the same as what these Politicians and others resort to when they get arrested.
Same thing I guess goes for the rich and powerful amongst us.

The saddest thing is that in all this coverage, there is no mention of the poor Auto Drivers who were the completely innocent victims of this stunt gone wrong! I feel for them, because they have no voice, when it comes to competing against Money, Power and Corruption, since they, like the majority of us, are only "Common People".
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 20:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Professional racer Vikash Anand drives drunk; kills one with his Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
All this "Stomach Pain" nonsense and the hospital rigmarole is exactly the same as what these Politicians and others resort to when they get arrested.
If he were middle aged or more he would have said chest pains. That is the only difference.

Now that he said stomach ache if the doctor had just prescribed two tablets dulcolax and sent him back to his cell he would have been cured of his stomach pain ASAP, any such pain must have been all the rich food and booze at the late night party.
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 01:47   #51
BHPian

It is quite silly, really. A boulder in the road causes this damage? Did anyone promise that roads would be boulder-less? Isn't it responsibility of the driver to negotiate? In other words, the person agrees that the car was fast enough to be not able to stop despite seeing a boulder? Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
On second thoughts, the law could have clauses such as
(a) Drinking and driving but no accident - ok, part away with 5,000 bucks
(b) Drinking and driving AND an accident - 50,000 bucks penalty and say 3 to 6 months in jail
(b) Drinking and driving, an accident and taking a life - 5,00,000 bucks penalty and 5 year jail
Along with, banish from getting a driving license for LIFE, at least for last two.
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 08:06   #52
BHPian

Absolutely disgusting. Those poor auto-drivers, and RIP the poor soul who lost his life just because a stupid so-called "famous" guy wanted to get some thrills. Hope he rots in prison.

Idiots like him should not be allowed anywhere near anything that even resembles a vehicle. And why don't people realize that driving is a privilege and not a right?!
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 16:16   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
... Hope he rots in prison.
This is a tough one. I would say that I hope he learns his lesson and becomes a better human being, not to mention a more responsible driver.

However, his behaviour has had the ultimate cost, another human life: there really should be appropriate punishment, and it should be sufficiently severe to be a deterrent to others. I don't believe that drink-driving will reduce until everyone, from the rich boy in a Porsche to a poor guy on a moped, believes that a) there is a good chance of being caught, and b) the consequences would be serious.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 22:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a tough one. I would say that I hope he learns his lesson and becomes a better human being, not to mention a more responsible driver.
I don't think there can be any excuses for making a mistake. Personally I do not believe in "we all make mistakes" or the famous saying "to err is human". That is what has made me who I am today, its the reason why I check an email twice before sending if its important, or fact-checking documents thoroughly even if it takes more time. Its also the reason why I scan the surroundings before starting the car, or check the mirrors when merging into lanes or check fluid-levels, air-pressure every month religiously.

We may end up making a mistake, but let that NEVER, EVER make us assume that mistakes are built into our way of being, its not. From the beginning of time (of a person's life), that person is taught slowly and gradually to adapt to a common way of life.. starting from the ABC's, the sentences, science, moral science, history etc. I don't remember which civilization started when and ended when, nor do I remember which of the dates each ruler conquered a nation at because more useless an information there cannot be, but I do remember science and of course common sense.

Drinking to levels where one loses their senses alone is a mistake of gargantuan proportions, that is a key reason why they can't think anymore and start to act like they can drive. Speeding is dangerous, period, in a Porsche where the response time is about 3-4 times less than that of a normal car its even more dangerous and I think a reasonably educated person should know this. I'd assume that an actual "human being" was behind the wheel at the time of the accident because a) no other being can drive and b) there is no autonomous driving Porsche at this time since an autonomous driving Porsche will be sacrilege to pure driving pleasure. I hope that "human being" is punished in a way that he remembers that making mistakes isn't a privilege of democracy. There are apologists or supporters for any crime these days like the support shown for "rapists" just because they are "minor"? Its about time we go back to judgements and punishments based strictly on the facts/actual sequence of events and not give these slimy defence lawyers the opportunity to wriggle their clients out of even molten lava.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to chip in since the area is near where I reside and boulder seems to be bullshit, since the road is a major arterial road and near ex and current chief ministers house and also near the ruling party offices and I have never seen any boulder roadwork using stones in this area in the last 10 years. most of the road works happen late at night and the entire section gets cordoned off with barriers before work starts and everything is cleaned up by dawn
bottle is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:39   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Just wanted to chip in since the area is near where I reside and boulder seems to be bullshit,
You bet! Look at the car, the wheels are intact and faced no impact damage (cant see front driver side though), no sign of an boulder gouging out the underside of the car. Car has tremendous bodywork/body shell damage.

May be the boulder was 5 ft tall and ran away from the scene
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 15:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

As expected he has secured interim bail after his "stomach ache" was presumably cured.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...ent-case-50989
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 19:34   #58
BHPian

Default RRacer Vikash Anand gets conditional bail

Racer Vikash Anand gets conditional bail in Chennai Porsche accident case

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/55051485.cms

CHENNAI: Professional car racer Vikash Anand who ploughed a speeding Porsche Cayman into autorickshaws in Chennai in the early hours of September 19, killing an autorickshaw driver - G Arumugam -- and injuring around 10 others, will now pay Rs 15 lakh as compensation to the deceased's seven-year-old daughter who has been orphaned by his death.

It was one of the several conditions laid down by the Madras high court to release the racing champion on bail.

Noting that Vikash Anand, who was driving the car, and his friend Charankumar, who owned the car, were drunk, a single judge of the court said: "Both were under the influence of alcohol, and it has also been proved by the medical report."

The judge further said: "Vikash had driven the car in a rash and negligent manner, hit against the median and dashed against 12 autorickshaws, which had been parked on the left side of the road. Due to the accident, 12 autorickshaws were damaged, one person died, three people sustained grievous injuries and five people sustained simple injuries."

Vikash should remit Rs 15 lakh in a fixed deposit in the minor girl's name, for which the principal session judge of the city civil court in Chennai would be the guardian, the judge said.

Pointing out that the grandfather and father of Vikash were advocates, the judge said: "I am confident that they will ensure that the minor girl, who had lost her father in the accident and is now under the custody of her relatives, will be provided good education and they will bear the educational expenses, besides the fixed deposit of Rs 15 lakh."

In all, Vikash will pay a total of Rs 27.5 lakh as compensation, since he must pay Rs 2.5 lakh each to five seriously injured auto rickshaw drivers and Rs 1 lakh each to five more drivers who suffered minor injuries in the incident.

On his part, the co-accused, Charankumar, will pay Rs 1 lakh each to 12 autorickshaw drivers whose vehicles had suffered extensive damage in the impact of the accident.

The judge further said all the eight victims of the accident had been discharged from hospital. Interrogation in the case was over, but chargesheet was yet to be filed only because the report from forensic department was awaited, she said, adding that she was granting bail to the duo with stringent conditions.
rubicon is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 01:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: RRacer Vikash Anand gets conditional bail

Words like rash and negligent, impact, "accident" etc take away the key reason for the case - drunk & driving. Legal terminology is the only place where English definitions are sent for a toss > the word "accused" is the biggest proof of that.

What has happened has happened, now its up to a random sequence of events to decide the conclusion - more like a roulette wheel, never know where the ball stops or in the case of the present legal system, if the ball will be on the table at all leave alone inside the wheel.

For the rest of those reading - please consider drinking and driving as a combination comparable to standing on the tip of Eiffel Tower, you're just gonna fall no matter what, all it takes is a micro-second. At least think on the lines of anything but yourself, for ONCE!
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 15:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: RRacer Vikash Anand gets conditional bail

That "stringent conditions" simply means that he has now bought his way out of this trouble by forking out a pittance, far less than he would have paid for that Porsche Cayman if he had bought it.

It is so nice to be rich.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote