Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 22nd September 2014, 19:20   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

I was planning a long distance trip Delhi - Bangalore-Delhi with some sight-seeing thrown in - within Karnataka and Kerala in my DL registered car.
The plan was for 30-45 days...still to chalk out the itinerary.

But looks like this would not be advisable?
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:38   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Happened to see a news in Amrita TV today where in it was shown that Karnataka Transport minister has agreed to Kerala Transport commissioner that they will stop taxing outside vehicles . Not sure how far they will keep this word but then atleast 2 governments have started talking on this taxation issue
Yes, and that was in response to a veiled threat/suggestion from the Kerala side of taxing the Sabarimala pilgrims who come in large numbers from Karnataka. During Onam time I had visited my daughter and family in Bangalore in my CITY, but was lucky to have escaped from the hawk eye of the Karnataka RTO/Police.
Hope this thing gets sorted out soon enough.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:31   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
Yes, and that was in response to a veiled threat/suggestion from the Kerala side of taxing the Sabarimala pilgrims who come in large numbers from Karnataka. During Onam time I had visited my daughter and family in Bangalore in my CITY, but was lucky to have escaped from the hawk eye of the Karnataka RTO/Police.
Well How long do you think the Gov can continue doing this?
Tomorrow Our neighboring states will also implement the same rules 30 days and pay life time road tax.
How many KA cars will get caught up in this?

This is being discussed. Good to see the Kerala CM taking an active role in this mater.
Quote:
Chandy, who arrived in Bangalore, reportedly raised the matter in a meeting he held with Karnataka Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy. The Chief Minister also demanded that the neighbouring state should halt collecting lifetime tax from owners of Kerala vehicles for a period of three months.

Chandy's intervention into the matter comes after a series of reports carried by Manorama News TV channel and Manorama Online.

Central motor vehicles rule states that a vehicle registered in one state can be used for up to three months in another state without paying any additional tax there.
http://english.manoramaonline.com/ne...taka-govt.html
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:47   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
That's a useless threat, why will pilgrims drive around for 6 months in the state, if they do they should pay the road tax to use that state's road.
Kerala cannot get KA govt to start night traffic in Bandipur and they are trying this..
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:38   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
That's a useless threat, why will pilgrims drive around for 6 months in the state, if they do they should pay the road tax to use that state's road.
Kerala cannot get KA govt to start night traffic in Bandipur and they are trying this..
The question is not whether pilgrims drive around for 6 months, the police in Kerala can be asked to pull over KA registered vehicles with pilgrims on board and ask them to pay LTT in Kerala. (This is how the law is enforced in bangalore.) The state needs the money with prohibition and consequential revenue loss. Chandy's logic is the same as what karnataka has legislated, harassing sabari pilgrims is not an empty threat, not much pilgrims can do if the cops take away the papers and ask them to prove they aren't resident in Kerala.

Night traffic in Bandipur was stopped because of a PIL, Karnataka was no more in favor of it than Kerala.
Old 24th September 2014, 12:50   #141
Team-BHP Support

Similar discussion here.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread