Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2014, 21:14   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Check out all forms in English on RTO web site
http://www.rto.kar.nic.in/
Go to Forms link, and all forms are available to print.
Thanks for the link. Thankfully I was already aware of the form in English.

I did not carry it with me because nearly all the cases I read up online mentioned that the officials (and 'agents') always removed the online version printout and attached the one available at the office instead.

It is on Saturday most likely that I will go to another RTO to try my luck.
Old 5th February 2014, 00:40   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamtiwana View Post
I did not carry it with me because nearly all the cases I read up online mentioned that the officials (and 'agents') always removed the online version printout and attached the one available at the office instead.
Yes, the agents normally attach their form, but I took in 2/3 instances the downloaded form, and I had no hassles.
I would say it was all smooth (1 for license change from AP to KA, 1 renewal, 1 transfer of ownership for car).
Go through the FAQs in the RTO site. Being knowledgeable about the process really helps.
Old 5th February 2014, 02:48   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, is there any way to pay Bangalore road tax for a vehicle (My TN registered Hero Meastro) without having any local proof of address?

Don't have any rental agreement, gas connection etc that I can submit as proof of residence. Hence wondering if there is any sort of workaround.
Old 5th February 2014, 08:44   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, is there any way to pay Bangalore road tax for a vehicle (My TN registered Hero Meastro) without having any local proof of address?

Don't have any rental agreement, gas connection etc that I can submit as proof of residence. Hence wondering if there is any sort of workaround.
Ideally, paying tax involves change of address. So, I am assuming address proof is required. Else, wait for RTO to catch you, and pay the tax at that time
Old 5th February 2014, 10:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Point - 1 below hopefully is related to your query -

In June of 2013, I had almost decided to move to Pune, and per the inquiries made w.r.t. Road Tax, following is the information I got from RTO -

1) Submit your Address Proof copy in Pune and pay the Road Tax.

2) With the Road Tax paid challan, drive down to Bangalore, with the vehicle in question, get it inspected by the RTO in Bangalore, and obtain an NOC, which then needs to be submitted to Pune RTO.

3) Once step -2 is done, you will get an RC Book / Smart Card from Pune RTO.

4) Again, come back to Bangalore (this time not with the vehicle in question), and submit a copy of the new RC to bangalore RTO, who will then initiate your refund process.

We had just brought home the Nissan Sunny in April of 2013, and hence, there was lot of money involved, which I was never sure would be refunded.

a) I had paid around 1,50,000 in Bangalore as Road Tax.

b) I had to pay around 90,000 in Pune.

c) I had no idea about when and how much from the 1,50,000 would be refunded back to me by Bangalore RTO.

What did I do? I decided to stay back in Bangalore by accepting another offer here.

The HR from Pune kept on insisting that he knew higher ups in RTO, and assured that there won't be any issues even if I were to be caught driving KA-01 in MH-12. He also said that the Pune RTO is generally not adamant in getting all vehicles registered under MH-12 since that increases the carbon foot-print, etc.

He may be right, but I didn't want to risk it, especially when I had other options at hand. Hence, stayed back!

You simply cannot sleep peacefully when -

1) You owe someone money

2) You know that law is waiting to catch up with you
Safety is Param is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 09:26   #111
BHPian

Hi All

Heard from my colleague that RTO officials visited his apartment parking - L & T Southcity on BG Road and issued notice to pay the road tax for all the non KA registered vehicle.

My colleague's Brother in Law has GJ registered car and Bike. Paid around 110K for the Car and 5K for the bike.

Anyone heard any such news of RTO doing door to door checks in other apartment blocks?

What next, I think RTO will go to the malls and public parking lots.

Regards
Old 7th February 2014, 10:19   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Point - 1 below hopefully is related to your query

What did I do? I decided to stay back in Bangalore by accepting another offer here.

The HR from Pune kept on insisting that he knew higher ups in RTO, and assured that there won't be any issues even if I were to be caught driving KA-01 in MH-12. He also said that the Pune RTO is generally not adamant in getting all vehicles registered under MH-12 since that increases the carbon foot-print, etc.

He may be right, but I didn't want to risk it, especially when I had other options at hand. Hence, stayed back!
I am driving my MP registered car in Pune from last 2 years. Not even once they have caught me for this issue. Almost 18k kms I have commuted in this city. They are not even bothered for sun films here. They are what you call "Liberal"

However, they are concerned for the below things -

- Seat-belts
- PUC
- Insurance
- DL and RC Book obviously

Fines/Challans paid till now -

- Seat belt - Rs. 200 (I was new in the city and did not know the rule)
- Seat belt - Rs. 200 (I was not aware that its mandatory for the front passenger too)
- Sun Film - Rs. 0 (It happened in Shirdi and a friendly conversation did the trick) I promised them next time you will not find me with a film in Shirdi

That's all! Nobody even asked me till date for the other state car.
Old 7th February 2014, 10:28   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Hi All

Heard from my colleague that RTO officials visited his apartment parking - L & T Southcity on BG Road and issued notice to pay the road tax for all the non KA registered vehicle.

My colleague's Brother in Law has GJ registered car and Bike. Paid around 110K for the Car and 5K for the bike.

Anyone heard any such news of RTO doing door to door checks in other apartment blocks?

Regards
They have been going to apartment complexes from last December and posting notices. More details can be found on this thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tached-67.html (Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached)

I wonder if they will start entering office premises next!!
Old 7th February 2014, 14:24   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Regards
No, it is otherwise. They have already visited malls and office parking lots. Now they are visiting private parking spaces(flats).
Old 7th February 2014, 16:54   #115
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Fines/Challans paid till now -

- Seat belt - Rs. 200 (I was new in the city and did not know the rule)
- Seat belt - Rs. 200 (I was not aware that its mandatory for the front passenger too)
Irrespective of whether the rule exists or not, please make sure you are buckled up always while driving, for the safety of your own life.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 18:57   #116
Senior - BHPian

my logic is very simple - not sure shy government is NOT implementing this

An outstation vehicle should be allowed to just pay the road tax and registration and not compelled to change the registration number.

I am in mumbai for the past 2.5 years on my job but i know for a fact that i will go back to chennai (my home town) sooner or later. I do not plan to settle in mumbai. People like me do not have an option. I am ready to pay the MH road tax + registration + Octroi whatever and i dont even need a reimbursement on road tax paid at either RTO. Ideally i should be given an option to pay. MH Givt makes money if i pay both directly an indeirectly, so i dont understand what prevents them from accepting money towards road tax.

This is the main and only reason i did not bring my TN registered santro to mumbai.
Old 10th February 2014, 19:19   #117
BHPian

UPDATE

Today evening I noticed an RTO checkpoint (I was driving my KA-registered car). I turned around and stopped to speak with the inspector there. I explained the scenario (lack of invoice) to him. He told me to bring documents saying that he'll give me a note to show to the RTO.

Filled with hope, I brought the bike papers (was carrying them with me luckily). He asked me to hand over the original RC book to him, that'd he'd write out a challan and give to me. That I can show challan to RTO officials, and they'd "figure out a way to calculate road tax without invoice" because they now have RC book with them and it's a case they will have to close. He kept reiterating "in just 30 minutes you will be able to pay tax and be done".

Now this sounded downright ridiculous, why should I simply hand over my RC for this purpose. Effectively he wants it to be recorded that he "caught another offender" . I told him I didn't have original RC with me and at this point he completely lost interest. He told me clearly that at the RTO office they won't entertain me at all if I have not been challaned.

So yet again I have attempted to do as the law requires me to do but I have not met with a justifiable response. I will go to the different RTO myself and see if I'm able to work something out without the invoice.

If not, do you guys suggest that I should go for this "self-challan" aka "aa bael mujhe maar" in this case? Asking for honest opinion here.

Furthermore, today they were taking RC books and company ID cards (swipe-cards). Conversation as below :

Offender : "Please take only RC, leave the company ID"
Inspector : "If we take company ID you will be forced to take some action."
Offender : "I can get a new ID tomorrow itself from my company, no hassle"
Inspector : "If after a week you don't claim this back, we will come to the company and inform them that their employee has this offending-vehicle, we need to seize it."
Offender : Blank face, realised he's stuck

I don't think they have a right to take company ID which is typically company property. This is pure harassment in the name of "enforcement" of the law.
alamtiwana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 19:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

It is about time we Indians stopped being treated as strangers in our own country. This excessive parochialism and 'regional' attitude taken by the authorities in Karnataka, TN and other states is absolutely ridiculous.

Let the powers that be remember that it is the immigrants into these cities and states who contribute the largest portion of taxes through their consumption habits and needs. They also provide work and keep the economy afloat, which otherwise would have floundered in its collective parochial wisdom!

About time that each state in India is stripped of this level of autonomy and that as a Nation we start pulling together as Indians!
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 02:30   #119
BHPian

I also have the perception that the officials are pretty choosy when it comes to non KA vehicles. They don't seem to be interested in any Merc, Bmw and high end SUV's. The officials seem to target the entry level hatches, sedans. In addition, a recent trip to one of the city RTO makes my perception stronger.

Many AP registered dumper trucks (4 of them in Koramangala area) are doing duty for the BBMP garbage cleaning. There are atleast 5 water tankers (tractors with water tank) in my locality with AP & TN regn. What about them ? Very clear case of permit and registration violation. But no one seems bothered !

Looks like the clarity on the taxation is still missing. ToI reports the following:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...vehicle-buyers

Section 3 of Karnataka Motor Vehicle Taxation Act 1957 says that if you ply a vehicle in the state for over six months, it must be registered in the state. You will have to pay the lifetime road tax which will be calculated based on the cost of the vehicle, number of years of registration and depreciation index that the RTO follows. The percentage of tax levied on old registered vehicle is less due to high depreciation.

I dont understand from Section 3 of the Motor Vehicle Taxation act of 1957 regarding six month rule and tax on other state vehicles.

http://dpal.kar.nic.in/pdf_files%5CM...%20(Final).pdf
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 06:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Many AP registered dumper trucks (4 of them in Koramangala area) are doing duty for the BBMP garbage cleaning. There are atleast 5 water tankers (tractors with water tank) in my locality with AP & TN regn. What about them ? Very clear case of permit and registration violation. But no one seems bothered !]

This is absolutely correct. Even I have seen these badly aged, rust buckets plying around. This is a clear case of sheer apathy and 'targeting' a certain segment of the population for reasons of lucre and lucre alone.

Shame on Karnataka state and any other states that indulge in this kind of behaviour.

The idiots in power need to get themselves a reality check about the people who have come into this and other states in response to a need to work and by paying their taxes and spending their money to live and eat, are fuelling the economy.

Would these politicians and real estate goons have made the money they have without this immigration?
While that in itself is wrong on their part, to exploit the system for personal gain, they should definitely realize that the state(s) have gained immense prosperity over the last ten to twelve years of consistent immigration of skilled workers!

Truly, we are fragmented, fractured and dysfunctional Nation - instead of presenting an United face to the world and focussing on excelling at everything like the Chinese do, we are busy fighting parochial, useless battles of this kind!

Bunch of idiots!
Closed Thread