Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 13:30   #121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

UPDATE #2

I have contacted the DTO (in Punjab). They now have a fully computerised system and all old files were "computerised" to reflect the data entry, and all documents were physically purged. So my one hope of getting a copy of the invoice has been dashed.

Further, I had someone go in person to the showroom where my bike was purchased. No luck there either.

Can anyone share their experience on how road tax would be calculated for my vehicle in absence of invoice. I've heard that an affidavit can be presented. If yes, then any knowledge of format of said affidavit. Most people mention that "RTO has their own estimation of cost of said vehicle model". How would that work?

They cannot possibly have information on how much the bike cost in 2002. Would they calculate based on latest price of an Enfield Thunderbird, and then apply the deprecation? Because price of a new Thunderbird has more than doubled in the last 12 years.
alamtiwana is offline  
Old 12th February 2014, 17:16   #122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 471
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Many AP registered dumper trucks (4 of them in Koramangala area) are doing duty for the BBMP garbage cleaning. There are atleast 5 water tankers (tractors with water tank) in my locality with AP & TN regn. What about them ? Very clear case of permit and registration violation. But no one seems bothered !
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is absolutely correct. Even I have seen these badly aged, rust buckets plying around. This is a clear case of sheer apathy and 'targeting' a certain segment of the population for reasons of lucre and lucre alone.
I wouldn't jump to conclusion so easily. Most commercial vehicles have an option of paying yearly tax. Even if they vehicle is registered in another state, they can obtain permit in other states.

They are other types of permits like goods permit, national permit etc. They would have their own fees, and bi-lateral sharing agreement with states.
Ideally, shouldn't compare white board vehicles with yellow board ones.
sriturl is offline  
Old 13th February 2014, 13:13   #123
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 157
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is absolutely correct. Even I have seen these badly aged, rust buckets plying around. This is a clear case of sheer apathy and 'targeting' a certain segment of the population for reasons of lucre and lucre alone.

Shame on Karnataka state and any other states that indulge in this kind of behaviour.
Pretty well summed up Shankar.

All this happens for only one sole reason - the salary class is the easiest to target. The leeches of the politicians, the police and the average useless babu in a government establishment know very well that they are free to suck our blood, and we would rarely fight back due to the lack of time to get around this twisted system.

To give you an example, a couple of months ago my HR informed us of a new Income Tax rule, which we had to follow while submitting our investment proofs for the year, which is - you can only claim a maximum of one lakh rupees a year as your HRA component. In case you claim more than that, the PAN card of your landlord needs to be submitted.

Now where in Bangalore would you get a decent place to live for Rs.8300 a month? And the rent is usually collected in cash by landlords, so why would he give you his PAN card? Yet another hit to the salary class given by these robbers in the government.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th April 2014 at 21:47. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 14:55   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Now where in Bangalore would you get a decent place to live for Rs.8300 a month? And the rent is usually collected in cash by landlords, so why would he give you his PAN card? Yet another hit to the salary class given by these robbers in the government.
COMPLETELY OT:
This is absolutely sad.
Nowadays in my neighbourhood (HSR), there are lots of these local farmers turned landowners turned builders, who are converting their 60x40 and sometimes even 30x40 sites and even those tiny little 30x20 sites into medium scale pigeon hole sized apartments!
There is one there which comprises 16 apartments or bachelor pads, in a 60x40 space!
Clear case of building violation and all that, but most of these miserable holes in the wall, appear to attract rentals of no less than Rs 20,000/- per month with a Ten Month advance!
Now isn't this ridiculous?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 23:12   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,274
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

I will maybe move to Bangalore, just a maybe and I am planning to get my Swift here too which is MH 04 registration. I will absolutely not pay any road tax in Bangalore. I am here in Bangalore since many days and I have seen so many AP, TN, MH registered cars. I cannot be held ransom for freedom of movement in my whole country and I cannot be expected to pay the road tax for 15 years just for living in Bangalore for a year or 2 when I have already paid the road tax once.

I will simply ask my dad to send me a new PUC certificate every month from Mumbai and whenever a cop catches, I ll show it to him to prove that I have been here only since some days and even though I am lying, I will fight it out till the end because I have the documentation to prove my lies. These guys are thugs and I will deal with them in their way itself. Will record from my phone, threaten with knowing higher ups and do all of those too

They changed the rules from 11 months to 1 month just so that they can collect people's hard earned money. We can make some of our own rules too now. Have never seen Maharashtra police harass anyone like this, there is no humanity left in Bangalore Police, We are not Gandhijis to be given a slap and offer another cheek for a 2nd one.

If I was given an option to pay road tax every year while plying my car, I would gladly pay, but paying for 15 years just because of staying here for a year or 2. NO WAY. We all need to stand up for this.

Last edited by humyum : 9th April 2014 at 23:14.
humyum is online now  
Old 9th April 2014, 23:56   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I will simply ask my dad to send me a new PUC certificate every month from Mumbai and whenever a cop catches, I ll show it to him to prove that I have been here only since some days and even though I am lying, I will fight it out till the end because I have the documentation to prove my lies. These guys are thugs and I will deal with them in their way itself. Will record from my phone, threaten with knowing higher ups and do all of those too
humyum, while I understand the underlying emotions, I would still urge you to reconsider what you are planning to do. Do you think doing so would make the govt. mend its ways? or introduce yearly tax options? If you are staying in KA for 2 years you are liable to pay the tax, this recent amendment not withstanding.

Producing MH PUCs everytime they catch you has a flip-side to it as well. Think of the broader picture. Since they obviously keep track of offenders, after stopping you more than once, they will start discounting the PUC as a admissible proof of travelling. Someone who is not staying in KA for a year or 2 but just passing through will then have a tough time convincing the cop - coz he will have one document less to back his claim.

Why not get a used car there and sell it off when you leave.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 9th April 2014 at 23:58.
Dry Ice is offline  
Old 10th April 2014, 06:06   #127
BHPian
 
bhagathgowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I will simply ask my dad to send me a new PUC certificate every month from Mumbai and whenever a cop catches, I ll show it to him to prove that I have been here only since some days and even though I am lying, I will fight it out till the end because I have the documentation to prove my lies.
I guess this is just one more reason why the change from 11 to 1 month was put in place. I have seen people (from outside Karnataka) working in BLR for more than a decade and would jump guns to invest in real estate here, just because the ROI is much better. But the same people want to buy vehicles from outside and bring it here, just to save a few thousands.

BLR is already choking with the amount of vehicles on road, expanding the roads or constructing new ones are not the answer. Enough has already been done to transplant this garden city to a concrete jungle.

Something has to be done to reduce this and outsiders with non KA registered vehicles are the first target because they are compounding to this issue without even making any contribution to the state.

Also, you say you have paid tax once and you don’t want to pay again, why is this? You paid the MH govt to use their roads not the KA govt, apart from highways all the other roads that you use are maintained by state govts. Unless the Central takes up the responsibility to maintain every single road in this country this will not change. Apply for a refund from your RTO and pay here and when you move out do the same.

Someone said the state has prospered because of this immigration, can they look back at the BLR that we natives grew up in and see what we have lost to accommodate these new migrants.

Also the thread title is misleading, It should say "not welcome to stay for long without paying tax". I have been harassed by police from all neighbouring states, while on short vacations of no more than 4 days. I have been falsely accused of running over the yellow line in KL where as the same police lending a blind eye to every other KL registered cars, even thought they have all the 4 wheels on the wrong side of the yellow line. Stop this propaganda of branding a state for the mistakes that we make, I dont think the Bangalore police has any issue with the genuine tourist and there non KA cars. How many would voluntarily pay taxes if the police do not enforce it.

Note: I am really sorry if I have hurt anyone’s feeling but being a Bangalorean, I have had enough of this. It’s a sad state that people are not being grateful to the land that is providing them their bread.

Last edited by bhagathgowda : 10th April 2014 at 06:10. Reason: spelling mistake
bhagathgowda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 08:18   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 1,593
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathgowda View Post
I guess this is just one more reason why the change from 11 to 1 month was put in place

....

Note: I am really sorry if I have hurt anyone’s feeling but being a Bangalorean, I have had enough of this. It’s a sad state that people are not being grateful to the land that is providing them their bread.
Lol did you just try to
1. Justify the stupid actions of the Bangalore RTO as a correct cause on a thread that's primarily been focussed on lambasting the same RTO with at times detailed and proper facts by various users?

2. Based on one person's viewpoint (@humayum), stereotype all potential and existing non-Karnataka folks into one of the core (& main?) reasons for which Bangalore city is seeing city management issues?

Quote:
Someone said the state has prospered because of this immigration, can they look back at the BLR that we natives grew up in and see what we have lost to accommodate these new migrants.
I see the exact same argument to Shiv Sena members who have been saying the same to south indians several years back and now to UP/Bihar based folks currently in Mumbai.


I am not even going to try to argue against such a school of thought. A city/state/nation prospers when it opens up to the outside world - there are enough examples in the world to understand that

Now I understand this has gone quite OT, so here's me calling quits.


@humayum,
I would NOT advice you to take that route. Your line of thought might sound logical to you, but there are a lot of fallacies wrt to it.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 08:47   #129
BHPian
 
bhagathgowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lol did you just try to
1. Justify the stupid actions of the Bangalore RTO as a correct cause on a thread that's primarily been focussed on lambasting the same RTO with at times detailed and proper facts by various users?

2. Based on one person's viewpoint (@humayum), stereotype all potential and existing non-Karnataka folks into one of the core (& main?) reasons for which Bangalore city is seeing city management issues?
I am not saying whatever is done by Bangalore RTO is the best or the correct one, All i am saying is this has to be done to get things moving. How many who are complaining about this rule moved to a different state and volutarily paid that states taxes unless caught and forced to do it (Most would have gone in for reimburment and paying the new states taxes only if the net balance was positive in their wallet).

Also I am not saying all issues in BLR is because of non-Karnataka folks, Corrections has to start from somewhere and the non KA boards in front of the vehicles are quite an easy target. I have also seen folks how moved to BLR paid taxes here, whenever their cars are stopped they are checked for papers upon verification they have been let go without any hassle.

Once the Metro is finally finished, I would like the central BLR to have some kind of congestion tax to ease the roads and promote the use of Public transports, which by the way is far better in KA, BLR than most other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I see the exact same argument to Shiv Sena members who have been saying the same to south indians several years back and now to UP/Bihar based folks currently in Mumbai.

I am not even going to try to argue against such a school of thought. A city/state/nation prospers when it opens up to the outside world - there are enough examples in the world to understand that
Sorry if my statement sounded to you as if i am not being welcoming for Non-Karnataka folks, I just meant that we have scarificed enough green roof in the city here and building new / wide roads to ease congestion is not the solution. The only solution would be to get the vehilces out of the roads.

One thing I dont understand is why have threads in support of illegal practices, I have seen many posts here where in instead of providing step by step guide on how to pay tax, they are providing details on how to evade police and run the vehicles illegally. (This is not just w.r.t to KA, Ever state is the same. You aren't supposed to stay and drive your out of state vehicle with the taxces being paid to their respective govts). I am speaking on behalf of KA and BLR because I am from here and I know my facts and not speculating)
bhagathgowda is offline  
Old 10th April 2014, 09:23   #130
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,274
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
humyum, while I understand the underlying emotions, I would still urge you to reconsider what you are planning to do. Do you think doing so would make the govt. mend its ways? or introduce yearly tax options? If you are staying in KA for 2 years you are liable to pay the tax, this recent amendment not withstanding.

Why not get a used car there and sell it off when you leave.
Bhai, I am a law abiding citizen, but IMAGINE, the Maharashtra RTO will take months and years to refund my road tax from Mumbai ( same with the case as mentioned by someone in the past posts about Karnataka RTO too, they are all the same) and I end up paying 40 grand around's here, work here for a year or two and again apply for a refund and again they will take months and years for it. I would have not even vented on this topic if it was just a need to pay a yearly tax every year renewable, but 15 years for nothing ?

And imagine this, they suddenly decide to change the rules from 11 months to 1 month just when the year was ending. Isn't that just a money making gimmick that they suddenly start standing outside Info sys and major software company buildings ? On top of that, there was someone out here who's car was seized even when he even proved it to them that he has come only a few days back. Isn't this arm twisting ? How would anyone want to voluntarily pay for something which is clearly an extortion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathgowda View Post
I guess this is just one more reason why the change from 11 to 1 month was put in place. I have seen people (from outside Karnataka) working in BLR for more than a decade and would jump guns to invest in real estate here, just because the ROI is much better. But the same people want to buy vehicles from outside and bring it here, just to save a few thousands.

Note: I am really sorry if I have hurt anyone’s feeling but being a Bangalorean, I have had enough of this. It’s a sad state that people are not being grateful to the land that is providing them their bread.

Funny, if only rules were meant 'for the people' and not for the money making tactics, it would be easier to get people to pay them too. The one month rule is so flawed, its unreal.

What If I came to Bangalore on a 6 month work assignment or a vacation for 3 months to Bangalore at my cousins and bring my car along ? Your RTO will make me pay a 15 year road tax for that ? Jokes.

I don't know about any other state, but in Maharashtra where I come from, everyone is welcome, taxed or not. We are Indians and living in Micro countries inside a country where in you harass people from other states.

Like your RTO would not effectively return the road tax without making me run pillar to post for months, my RTO would do the same to me. Why should I spend my life in harassment, take offs from work for clearly something which is non nonsensical in nature ? I mean, give the outsiders of the state some respite too, yeah maybe they are not 'your own people', but they are Indians at the end of the day.

New Migrants, outsiders, compounding the issue, like really? You remind me of Shiv Sena/Raj Thackrey

And lastly, I have not saved any money by buying a car in MH like you mentioned the PY case. I have simply brought it there because I live there and I will get it here because I will move here for a year or 2. If the process was easier to pay whatever is needed and get a refund of whatever is necessary, I would do it.

If the government wants money, they should want it with a smile and not by harassing people and with rules which are meant for the well being of the people. I would not take even the road tax back from MH if I Bangalore RTO had yearly or 5 yearly system for road tax payment.

Anyway all this is my opinion like you have yours.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th April 2014 at 21:46. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
humyum is online now  
Old 10th April 2014, 11:33   #131
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 601
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathgowda View Post
I have seen people (from outside Karnataka) working in BLR for more than a decade and would jump guns to invest in real estate here, just because the ROI is much better. But the same people want to buy vehicles from outside and bring it here, just to save a few thousands.
I completely echo your sentiments. the first instance is a classical example of "penny wise pound foolish". The credit of the expanding concrete jungle will certainly go to the people who want to invest in Bangalore for better ROI. How many local folks can afford a 60L or a crore apt! And let me tell you, the local folks have become greedy because people are ready to pay!

Non KA folks are certainly welcome however they cannot have this attitude that they will break the law. Bangalore has always been considered as an extremely tolerant state and welcomes people. This has been misused totally in my opinion. To sum it up, be a Roman in Rome...

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th April 2014 at 21:45. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
sumathindra is online now  
Old 10th April 2014, 12:21   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,466
Thanked: 692 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

There are rules and laws and behaviour which made Bengaluru what it is in attracting people from all over. We have no issues with that There are lots of places even in U.S where you have to pay extra fees per vehicle once you move into specific suburb or limits. We dont mind that. They also have income tax over federal income tax at different rates, we dont mind that. Businesses ultimately decide where to locate based on these things.

This 1 month rule is the most stupid one though. Lets not make this into turning the discussion into us and them. I commend Maharastra for their welcoming attitude
srishiva is offline  
Old 10th April 2014, 12:45   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,053
Thanked: 5,304 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

The local economy of Karnataka and indeed any other state usually benefits a great deal from immigrants. Immigrants, the world over, are the people who make things happen and create change while contributing to the society into which they have come.
I believe as an Indian first, one should have the right to move seamlessly across the country without encountering parochial politics and region motivated communal behaviour from any one.

For example, my Senior Citizen parents visit me for months at a time in their own TN Registered vehicle. I am a domiciled resident of KA - been here for more than ten years, earning my living, paying my taxes and so on. Most of the time when they are here that vehicle lies parked as we usually go out together in my vehicle.

In a case like the one above, this KA RTO "One Month" Rule, truly seems ridiculous, unfair and completely parochial.

But then, this seems to be the order of the day all over India these days! Parochialism and misguided regionalism seems to be ruling everywhere!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th April 2014 at 12:47. Reason: adding stuff
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 14:01   #134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Bhai, I am a law abiding citizen, but IMAGINE, the Maharashtra RTO will take months and years to refund my road tax from Mumbai ( same with the case as mentioned by someone in the past posts about Karnataka RTO too, they are all the same) and I end up paying 40 grand around's here, work here for a year or two and again apply for a refund and again they will take months and years for it. I would have not even vented on this topic if it was just a need to pay a yearly tax every year renewable, but 15 years for nothing ?
Anyway all this is my opinion like you have yours.
I echo with your thoughts on this, humyum! If there is a process in place to immediately refund the life time tax paid in the previous state, then iam ok to pay the road tax in the next state. But the refund process takes ages and the RTAs are not at all worried about refunding our hard earned money.
I have read earlier on the same thread that somebody got a car to Bangalore from a different state and went straight to the RTA office to pay the road tax but before paying enquired about the refund status of his bike which he moved to his parent state. Not surprisingly, the RTA got furious about the enquiry and said they will refund the money when it is ready but wanted him to pay the tax for his car right away. Is that fair? For me, it is day light robbery!
I lived in Bangalore for 5 years and truly love every aspect of the city except the traffic police and RTA. They are just muggers! I understand, the number of immigrants to Bangalore are very high, but this is not the way a citizen of a neighbouring state or rather the same country should be treated!
With all due respect, these are my thoughts! Could be contrary to somebody else's.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th April 2014 at 21:45. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
CrankShaft05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:38   #135
BHPian
 
joecherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 547
Thanked: 78 Times
Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Happened to see a news in Amrita TV today where in it was shown that Karnataka Transport minister has agreed to Kerala Transport commissioner that they will stop taxing outside vehicles . Not sure how far they will keep this word but then atleast 2 governments have started talking on this taxation issue
joecherian is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcomed into the family of Das Auto - VW Polo1.6 volkman10 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 71 13th February 2017 14:05
Welcomed Aboard! Ford5 Introduce yourself 2 5th November 2011 10:05
Karnataka Registered Bike in Pune cnureddy.b Motorbikes 4 12th December 2008 15:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks