Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 17th October 2006, 10:48   #1
kph
BHPian

Post Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

I have some doubts about the legal side of road tax collection and permission for a private vehicle to run and stay in a different state other than the home state where it’s been registered.

I had a bike bought in Hyderabad- AP registered vehicle, brought to Bangalore when I came here. Once RTO ceased my RC and other documents of the bike and asked me to pay the road tax in Karnataka and only then will the documents be given back, don’t need reregister the vehicle here anyway. So I had to pay the life tax here. RTO says, since me intent to use the vehicle in Karnataka, tax needs to be paid here. Anyway I didn’t ask him on what basis he could say that I intent to use it permanently here. I didn’t want to make things worse with an argument. All these happened around 4 years ago. Many of my friends had similar experiences here.

Now my car too is facing the same issue. I don’t know when will someone cease its documents and ask me to pay life tax again here.

Is there any kind of legal backup to these actions? As far as I know a private registered vehicle can run anywhere in India without taking any special permit or paying tax again.
share your thoughts/experiences and a resolution to this if any.

Note from mod: Do not use [FONT] tags as they clutter up the text and make it difficult to read

Last edited by adya33 : 17th October 2006 at 12:19.
Old 17th October 2006, 11:26   #2
BANNED

The road tax (annual or lifetime) that one pays is for a particular state and not for the entire country. While there is no need for a permit for private cars to enter another state, it is for the owner to prove that he / she dooesn't intend to reside in the new state.

As you have stated, re-registration is not necessary but paying tax in the new state in required. You could get a refund of the tax paid in your home state. There's a thread somewhere about all this.
Old 17th October 2006, 11:38   #3
BHPian

Yep, its right. Its true for all states as well.
If you are only visiting another state (read few days - dunno exactly how many), then you're OK. But if you are going to use the car regularly and you reside in another state, then you gotta pay the LTT again.
Old 17th October 2006, 11:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

a few of my friends in blore have also had the same problems. i guess the bangy govt. is trying to make a few quick bucks out of nowhere.

things are different in each state since the Transport Act is covered by the state legislation. there was a time when cars would cost 50k-80K less in Pondicherry & all the madrasis would merrily buy from there & drive back. this was stopped when the state insisted that all these vehicles should get themselves re-registered in chennai by paying the appropriate taxes.
Old 17th October 2006, 12:10   #5
BHPian

You will have to pay tax in the state where you are using if the vehicle is used for more than 6 months. You need to have poof that your car entered Karnataka not more than 6 months. An entry in checkpost or an AP fuel bill in your car no. may help
Old 17th October 2006, 13:00   #6
BHPian

As far as I'm aware, the period is one year. For one year you can use your vehicle in any state, but after a continous stay for more than a year, it is assumed that you'll stay permanently and you're required to pay road tax. In this case, you can apply for a refund from the other state which a cumbersome process. I think if you have sufficient proof that your stay is less than a year and quote the legal terms etc, the RTO might let you go. However it can happen again and is a pain area.
Until there is complete clarity and awareness, these trouble are here to stay..
dMH
Old 17th October 2006, 13:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshx
You will have to pay tax in the state where you are using if the vehicle is used for more than 6 months. You need to have poof that your car entered Karnataka not more than 6 months. An entry in checkpost or an AP fuel bill in your car no. may help
Well, cant do that if you get your bike couried!

and spending some money (less than 3k I guess) is the best thing.

but 10% for road tax FOR CARS !!! pheW!
Old 17th October 2006, 13:33   #8
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshx
You need to have poof that your car entered Karnataka not more than 6 months. An entry in checkpost or an AP fuel bill in your car no. may help
Thanks, that a good point. Mine is a KL car, goes to KL often in car. Good idea to keep some fuel bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da MotorHead
As far as I'm aware, the period is one year. For one year you can use your vehicle in any state, but after a continous stay for more than a year, it is assumed that you'll stay permanently and you're required to pay road tax.
Technically, noone from outside KA who stays and works here are permanent residents. Authorities know that we donít have time to go behind the pain and will settle with whatever they ask to do. Thatís the saddest part.[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
Old 17th October 2006, 13:52   #9
BHPian

Have you transferred your Insurance? If not, then it may be OK but I wouldnt suggest.. If you have transferred it, then you could be in for trouble
Old 17th October 2006, 14:12   #10
BHPian

Kph.. Let me tell you my story.. I've Been Using a KL car in Hosur For 2 years.. but Here being a border city the cops are very lax.. But when I come to bangalore.. I do hear about guys being stopped for having an out of state regn.

My 2 cents... Most of the guys who get stopped are bikes.. They are not that strict on cars.. Bikes they stop to make a quick buck...

The catch cars which they see regularly... Which they can understand as some out of state professional's car. In that case even showing petrol bills or KL insurance won't help. That cop argues that he saw the car.. continuosly for a week..

Then again.. Let me tell my experiance of being stopped by bangy cops... The first guy who stopped me in Domlur for an Illegal U turn Never noticed that the Car was a KL.. He gave the reciept for a KA 7X ****.

The Next time was at 1:30 pm.. One cop was a SILK BOARD flyover.. I just stopped and was having a smoke before the long drive to Hosur.. This guy came.. Looked at the plate.. Came near me.. Asked Whether I was working here.. I told i was working in Hosur.. he asked a cigaratte from me and walked away..

Anyway If you need TN petrol Bills Ask me... will gladly give you lots

Old 17th October 2006, 14:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz

My 2 cents... Most of the guys who get stopped are bikes.. They are not that strict on cars.. Bikes they stop to make a quick buck...
. But you can keep an eye for RTO checks. Those guys can be handful. Anyway, if you have a good story with proof, I think you would be okay. Proof would be Petrol bills/repair bills and insurance and your driving license from home state.
Old 17th October 2006, 14:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

I heard that the law states that if a person is planning domicile in a non-native state for more than 3 months, their vehicles will have to be re-registered, Jammu & Kashmir state residents exempted.

Then again, I don't know of an online resource that could corroborate this.
Old 17th October 2006, 15:28   #13
BHPian

Anyone actually has a copy of these rules? Please share..
Old 17th October 2006, 15:46   #14
BHPian

Default The rules..

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar
Anyone actually has a copy of these rules? Please share..
Check these sites..

http://morth.nic.in/
http://morth.nic.in/cmvr.htm
http://rto.kar.nic.in/
Old 17th October 2006, 15:46   #15
BHPian

Found some stuff on Department of Road Transport & Highway
http://morth.nic.in/faq-roadtransport.htm

INTER STATE TRANSFER OF VEHICLE

Question 1: What are the provisions relating to Inter State transfer of vehicles?
Answer : When a Motor vehicle registered in one State has been kept in other State for a period exceeding twelve months, the owner is required to obtain a new registration mark to be assigned by the registering authority within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is in terms of section 47 of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.

Last edited by harishsegar : 17th October 2006 at 15:50.
Closed Thread