Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th December 2014, 16:32   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad Traffic Challan after 8 months!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
They'll anyway ask him to to the RTO or ask for a bribe or may be try troubling him further. So what I feel is to directly visit the RTO (car which is registered to) and get the thing cleared.

As all the fines are dated to before the purchase by 'poised2drive', it is important he gets a clean chit and needn't pay for what he hasn't committed.

Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
I thought of approaching the RTO if the previous owner does not bother to act. I mailed him and as of now, no reply.
Now I am thinking to to pay a visit to the RTO office and resolve it and in the mean time, trying to keep my car off the roads to prevent any displeasing situations with the cops.
Its funny how things turn weirdest of the weird from absolute normalcy!
Thanks !!

I cannot really predict how the Traffic cops would react to it. They might first ask me to pay the fine and ask it to sort it out with the previous owner since I don't have any documents that explicitly state the date of Purchase of the Car. So to get some sort of proof, I might have to go to this RTO .
It all really comes down to that in-situ cop whom we cannot really trust .
Let me share an experience of a friend who was in the same situation. He had approached the Traffic police raising the same concern. Guess what they told him? "You should have checked the challan status or if there are any other cases pending against the car before purchasing it." I found those words reasonable and advise fellow bhpians to include this in their PDI before purchasing a pre-owned car.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 16:39   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Let me share an experience of a friend who was in the same situation. He had approached the Traffic police raising the same concern. Guess what they told him? "You should have checked the challan status or if there are any other cases pending against the car before purchasing it." I found those words reasonable and advise fellow bhpians to include this in their PDI before purchasing a pre-owned car.

True. [ I did not know, until very recently, that we could check the pending challans online ]

It would be better if the RTO and the Traffic police sync up their data base to ease up such cases and they would be brought out when ' transfer of Ownership' is applied that would caution the buyer [ and seller too] .
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 16:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
True. [ I did not know, until very recently, that we could check the pending challans online ]

It would be better if the RTO and the Traffic police sync up their data base to ease up such cases and they would be brought out when ' transfer of Ownership' is applied that would caution the buyer [ and seller too] .
I think you should really study the RTA website once. You have a lot of information over there.
Old 13th December 2014, 15:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I think you should really study the RTA website once. You have a lot of information over there.
lol, of course !

Btw, I found out that they have the info of the date of transfer and unsurprisingly, they have refused to share the information and they say it cannot be shared with public [ And what they expect to share the info is any child's guess]
Being a Govt. Officer myself, I am ashamed to see at our pathetic situation

Last edited by poised2drive : 13th December 2014 at 15:32.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 19:42   #65
BHPian

Update:

After a week or so, I did not get any reply from the owner and I decided to mail the issue to the Traffic cops itself. Today, I mailed a letter to the ACP, traffic and the e-challan dept. with my new RC, old RC and pending Challans and urged them to look into the issue.
will have to wait and see how the ACP replies !
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 11:51   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

After a week or so, I did not get any reply from the owner and I decided to mail the issue to the Traffic cops itself. Today, I mailed a letter to the ACP, traffic and the e-challan dept. with my new RC, old RC and pending Challans and urged them to look into the issue.
will have to wait and see how the ACP replies !
I am not sure if they will reply to your mail. I think it is better to approach them directly and sort out the issue.
Old 27th November 2016, 01:27   #67
BHPian

Default Challenging traffic violation challan in Mumbai.

Those residing in Mumbai might have heard of the e-challan system recently started by the Traffic Dept.

I was issued such a challan today and was told that I have 15 days to pay up. Notwithstanding the cops claim that they have CCTV footage, I am pretty sure that I had not jumped the signal and therefore refused to pay up on the spot.

Does anybody know how/where I can challenge the challan?

Challenging a traffic violation challan?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1480190226.101675.jpg

Last edited by Athani : 27th November 2016 at 01:31.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 11:11   #68
BHPian

Default re: Challenging a traffic violation challan?

You can try downloading the MTPApp - the Mumbai Traffic Police App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...icealert&hl=en

The app is a bit buggy and replete with spelling errors. When I tried some features, the app hanged. I don't know if this is because of my phone or the app itself.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 11:34   #69
BHPian

I have a similar issue. I was fined for signal jumping and since I had to urgently go to a hospital, I didn't bother arguing with them(Although I'm pretty sure I drove while the light was green). I took a challan for Rs.200.
When I went to their website to pay, I filled in my Card details on their payment gateway. The money got debited from my account as well but finally on the payment page, it showed transaction failed. So currently, I've paid the challan money but still the website shows that it's unpaid. Tried calling the helpline but they said it shouldn't be an issue.
Wondering what to do now.
nimit3105 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 14:56   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
....I was issued such a challan today and was told that I have 15 days to pay up...

Does anybody know how/where I can challenge the challan?

Attachment 1579216
Why is it showing "On account of Xyz"? Is that something you have done? If not, it doesn't make sense for them to print it like that. In this case, they haven't even bothered to write the violation details.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 13:05   #71
BHPian

Default Re: Challenging a traffic violation challan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why is it showing "On account of Xyz"? Is that something you have done? If not, it doesn't make sense for them to print it like that. In this case, they haven't even bothered to write the violation details.
I don't know why they have mentioned "xyz". Challan was issued to me because they said I had jumped a red signal. I guess the violation details are indicated by "239/179". One refers to jumping signal. Other refers to (I think) failing to heed a manual signal to stop! Ridiculous..

Any idea how and where I may challenge this? Even assuming that I jumped the signal, I'm only liable to pay Rs.100. I am definitely not liable to pay a further Rs. 100; I never did fail to heed any manual signal by cop to stop.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote