Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th November 2016, 09:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default MobiKwik: Go cashless at NHAI toll plazas

MobiKwik Partners With NHAI for Toll Payments Using Mobile Wallet

In this era of e-wallet spreading its tentacles almost everywhere, how can Toll booths be far away?

Quote:
  • Mobikwik's wallet service will soon be live at 391 toll plazas in India
  • No charges at toll plazas till December 2: NHAI
  • Users will have to open the MobiKwik mobile app and scan the QR code
Digital payment company MobiKwik on Friday said its customers will be able to pay toll tax at 391 toll plazas using the mobile wallet.

After receiving the approval from National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), Mobikwik's wallet service will soon be live at 391 toll plazas in India, it said in a statement.

The company has received an approval from NHAI to enable commuters across all toll plazas in the country pay cashless through its mobile wallet to avoid traffic congestion due to cash crunch, it added.

"Commuters across the country can soon pay cashless at all toll plazas using their MobiKwik wallet. We have taken this step in the wake of demonetisation to avoid congestion at highways, owing to the ill effects of cash crunch," MobiKwik co-founder Bipin Preet Singh said.

Post scrapping of old Rs. 500 and Rs. 1,000 notes on November 8, NHAI has announced no charge at all toll plazas till December 2, 2016.

However, the scarcity of physical cash is expected to impact the smooth traffic at tolls after this date, given that masses are still struggling to get cash.
To solve this issue, MobiKwik has been roped in to digitise toll plazas in India, the company said.

At the toll plazas, users will have to open the MobiKwik app on their phone and scan the QR code on the toll plaza.

After entering the amount communicated by the toll operator and the vehicle number, they can press 'pay' to complete the transaction.
Source

The only hope - This system is fast & efficient rather than more time consuming than paying by cash and what still remains a mystery is whether this was only a Plan B to address the demonetization woes or will this system be implemented and remain live beyond the stabilization period.

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th November 2016 at 09:10.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 09:31   #2
BHPian

Default re: MobiKwik: Go cashless at NHAI toll plazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The only hope - This system is fast & efficient rather than more time consuming than paying by cash and what still remains a mystery is whether this was only a Plan B to address the demonetization woes or will this system be implemented and remain live beyond the stabilization period.
Good initiative, but as you doubt, I think this may not be much different from paying cash in terms of time taken. Because, (1) one has to open the App, which requires faster internet connection in those places, (2) scan the code, (3) enter the amount, (4) toll operator has to check the credit in their account.

IMO this may consume more time than the cash payment.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 09:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why can we not have the simple French system - swipe a card with no signatures required. Easy and fast.
sgiitk is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 10:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post

KK
Cash is fast, easy, exact, reliable & anonymous. No other payment system beats cash in these aspects.
Quote:
While it is good, I hope these cash-less services are available from a standard interface. Can't install a new app for every transaction I make.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 11:04   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Why can we not have the simple French system - swipe a card with no signatures required. Easy and fast.
Very well said.
A simple swipe of credit/debit card should do.
Sensors can very well identify the class of vehicle and deduct the money from card and issue a receipt within 1-2 seconds flat.
revharder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 11:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: MobiKwik: Go cashless at NHAI toll plazas

Quote:
+100 to that.

A fast and reliable way. Prepaid card swiped at tolls, no waiting, no operator interference, no payment in cash. The only thing a subscriber needs to ensure that the prepaid card has enough balance.

E-wallets will still be cumbersome than cash due to the availability of network for faster connectivity which means Toll booths/operators will have to invest in either wifi or internet connections.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 11:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Good initiative, but as you doubt, I think this may not be much different from paying cash in terms of time taken. Because, (1) one has to open the App, which requires faster internet connection in those places, (2) scan the code, (3) enter the amount, (4) toll operator has to check the credit in their account.

KK
Absolutely not a time saver if anyone looks at this. Due to the steps involved to scan the QR code, it would need a reliable data-connection too and at the same location on a different day the data connection might not be the same as we all know.

Quote:

Although this is a good step, the FastTag/RFID system beats all with a dedicated lane. However, for those not wanting to pay by cash, a simple swipe and go option should do wonders and make the entire system very efficient.

In the past 20 days, I am not sure the amount of fuel the nation has saved by not really having to wait at the toll booth, idling or remaining in 1st gear.

Despite of many toll booths still closing and opening the boom barrier and you not paying cash, Googlemaps never showed jams at any of the booths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Cash is fast, easy, exact, reliable & anonymous. No other payment system beats cash in these aspects.
As cash is fast, I have seen our every casual drivers - Look for the wallet, ask the amount to the booth attendant (obviously he missed reading the sign before), Hand over a big note, get the receipt and start counting the change, neatly put back the notes back into the wallet, slot in 1st gear and move . I am sure we have come across drivers like these who spend more time at booth than roads.

Quote:
While it is good, I hope these cash-less services are available from a standard interface. Can't install a new app for every transaction I make.
Indeed something they should eye for. A standard interface is the need of the hour as e-wallet firms are not to remain all through the year (we have seen many come and go).

This is is a good platform for the app to get utilized as we have seen the case with MOMOE on NICE road in Bangalore

Read more here: Pay through MOMOE e-Wallet on NICE Road (Query: NICE Road - Bangalore)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 12:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Go Cashless at toll Plazas of NHAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
A fast and reliable way. Prepaid card swiped at tolls, no waiting, no operator interference, no payment in cash. The only thing a subscriber needs to ensure that the prepaid card has enough balance.
I never mentioned prepaid cards. The bill comes as part of the credit card bill. In fact for one trip (under 24 hours or so) there is a single entry in the card statement. Obviously the figures are collated and added up somewhere.

This was from 1989-91, should be even better today.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Default Re: MobiKwik: Go cashless at NHAI toll plazas

I've used apps like PayTM and MobiKwik previously for payments and I'm not exactly sure how this is less time consuming. To me, it's just adding more time and effort. More clicks, numbers, and pins to enter. At Tolls, you know what amount you have to pay and most people just do that, reducing the time and making traffic move much faster. With e-wallets, it just increases the time and slowdowns the whole process.

Since it has come to all this and we're talking to go cash-less, maybe it's time for India to adopt to technology like Apple/Samsung and Google Pay. I was in the US last year and using Apple Pay was a breeze, probably the most efficient and fast way for any kind of payments which should now come into play in India, to get towards its goal of becoming a cash-less country.

Last edited by Ruchir031 : 28th November 2016 at 12:39.
Ruchir031 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 13:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The swipe card system can be flexible (independent of vehicle / driver ) - if the toll plazas can be automated enough to automatically recognize the class of vehicle, and hence deduct the correct amount of toll when we swipe.

The RFID tag system is vehicle specific - the class of vehicle ( and hence toll amount) is hard-coded / tagged to the RFID tag. Since it is the vehicle that is the steadiest variable (vehicle / driver), the RFID system is currently the simplest one we have.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 15:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@condor; I think at that time things were not as automated. We used to pick up a card at the entry, and then the operator will input it at the exit. At the same time as swiping the operator will also key in the type of vehicle.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 15:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
I've used apps like PayTM and MobiKwik previously for payments and I'm not exactly sure how this is less time consuming. To me, it's just adding more time and effort. More clicks, numbers, and pins to enter. At Tolls, you know what amount you have to pay and most people just do that, reducing the time and making traffic move much faster. With e-wallets, it just increases the time and slowdowns the whole process.
I don't think anyone of us here have even remotely mentioned that this will be saving time, unless NHAI and the Payment App is overconfident about that.

Like mentioned above, this will only enable the road user a cashless transaction at the toll plaza and we are still not sure whether this is only an interim set-up or will have a long term plan. If its the latter, it better be a faster system like the swipe.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 15:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

One more player trying to make a name for themselves using the demonetization as a theme. I think instead of doing so many different things, NHAI should just make getting the RFID tags free of cost and they should be available at multiple locations. Their utilization is bound to improve with this rather than a online app.
dass is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 17:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@condor; I think at that time things were not as automated. We used to pick up a card at the entry, and then the operator will input it at the exit. At the same time as swiping the operator will also key in the type of vehicle.
This can be used as a simpler approach of not carrying cash.
* Vehicle pulls up at booth
* Operator keys in type of vehicle. (Will avoid automating the process to recognize the vehicle class). This can be displayed on a panel visible to the driver.
* Driver swipes a card.
* Receipt printed automatically near the panel, which driver can take with him.

A lot of time at the booth goes in the payment part. Hence a card swipe system can help reduce the time by at least half.

In India, considering the type of people who drive, and the transport companies, we may need to have a pre-paid card specifically for tolls. Else some drivers may use it for something else. The card can be loaded with sufficient cash for the trip that the driver going on.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 09:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think anyone of us here have even remotely mentioned that this will be saving time, unless NHAI and the Payment App is overconfident about that.
The sole purpose of these apps, when launched, were ease of use and save time while making payments. Wasn't intended for tolls, though.
Ruchir031 is offline   Reply With Quote