Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th December 2016, 13:26   #1
BHPian

Default Linkway Honda's staff breaks traffic rules, then heckles me when questioned. EDIT: Update on page 2

My office is located near Linkway Honda showroom & service center at Andheri Mumbai. I've noticed their drivers driving on wrong side of the busy Saki Vihar road at least 3-4 times in the past to take a "short cut". Today while I was coming to office I happened to see them doing it again. I had enough & decided to confront the driver. I blocked his way and asked him to go back to the correct side of road. He refused to listen to me. Hence I went to the entrance of showroom to report it. When I raised the issue with some staff there, they gave the standard retort "So many people take the wrong side here", then asked me who I am. What happened further can be seen in this video:

The called me mental, deaf, and another abuse which I cannot mention on forum to maintain decency (its not captured in the video recording too. They said it when I was capturing number plate of the offending car).

What makes my blood boil is:
  • They refused to accept their mistake. They think that they are doing the right thing & I am a fool trying to correct them.
  • They tried to justify it by telling me that I do not understand a simple thing
  • On mentioning that I am a common citizen, they asked me to get out of the gate as if I were a pest. So, only extraordinary citizens are eligible to enter a Honda showroom?
  • They called me names like mental, deaf etc.
  • Their attitude smacks of elitism & arrogance. They sounded like I had no business entering a "Honda" premises. Perhaps they judged me from my attire of T shirt & denims.
  • I could have been Honda's future customer, but this attitude has ensured that Honda is at the bottom of my list now. I am sure Honda too wouldn't want a mental person as their customer

Instead of apologizing & making sure that their habit of driving on wrong side is changed, they instead abused me. That is totally unacceptable

After the manager took my picture, I left the showroom as I felt it was pointless to argue further. I was told that their service manager is in a meeting. I have shared this video on Twitter, tagging Honda as well as Linkway motors. I am also planning to send an email to Honda about this. I will keep the forum updated on the response.

Last edited by AkMar : 9th December 2016 at 13:27.
AkMar is online now   (140) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 15:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Linkway Honda's staff breaks traffic rules, then heckles me when questioned. EDIT: Update on page 2

Way to go! It is time we stopped complaining through the keyboard and get into actions like these. With so many accidents we keep seeing everywhere due to negligent driving, its only right time for us citizens to come out of our comfort zones and be the real change that they have always been looking for.

Only recently I made sure that an erring fleet of buses contracted to an IT firm followed the rules - Emails to cops and the company management with Dashcam Videos worked.

Few Years back, A city Bus jumped a signal at a major junction and I waited there on the spot with my car perpendicular to this bus till the cop fined the Govt Bus right in front of me - Yes, by then many started to support me including fellow motorists.

Both of these instances I have mentioned on the Bangalore Traffic Rants thread.

In this world of social media where news spreads faster than fire, its only wise to bank on this platform and make such instances reach the right eyes and ears - Whether its reached their brains is a different matter altogether as we are a country which argues that "I have had my headlight on, don't you see" when you enter a one way road.
paragsachania is online now   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 16:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Linkway Honda's staff breaks traffic rules, then heckles me when questioned. EDIT: Update on page 2

Thanks AkMar for sharing this. Clearly these fools need to be taught a lesson, I'm sure Honda India would notice this online and take Linkway to task. Flouting basic road safety rules and then abusing the customer is like the worst thing a brand can do.
agambhandari is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 18:20   #4
BHPian

I have an update to share. A friend who is a regular customer at this workshop gave me contact details of the dealership's GM when he came to know about this incident. I spoke to the GM. He was an approachable person. He listened to me patiently & agreed that this shouldn't have happened. He also said that he cannot control the behavior of every employee, to which I agree. He apologized on behalf of the staff.

Later, the service manager too called to apologize for the incident. I met the service manager as the workshop is at stones throw from my office. He too apologized for the unfortunate incident. I asked him to ensure that drivers do not drive on the wrong side. He said that instructions have already been given to that effect. GM as well as service manager said that I am most welcome to their showroom if I look to buy a car in the near future & that they will ensure best levels of service. They also requested me to delete the video from Youtube, which I politely declined.

I accepted their apologies, thanked them for sparing their time and looking into the issue promptly. I hope they will improve from now on. To put it in Parag sir's words - I hope it will reach the brains of the staff at ground level.

Last edited by AkMar : 9th December 2016 at 18:37.
AkMar is online now   (34) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 18:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Can you post the link to that tweet?

https://twitter.com/SlyAllegorist/st...65314152755206

I'll retweet it. 600 ++ followers now so ..

(edit) - found it when searching twitter for Linkway Honda. Retweeted.

Last edited by hserus : 9th December 2016 at 18:27.
hserus is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 18:36   #6
BHPian

Great video.
The situation is too common in India. You saw a person from a Honda showroom and protested. Remember, most drivers working at the showroom have verylow education levels. We have the Mamoo Patrol, an initiative by a BHPian and his friends. Mamoo patrol found many shop owners on a two-wheeler going in the wrong direction to avoid the signal.

As Paragsachania said, the keyboard wars have to end. We have to start shaming offenders by such means. We shouldn't go overboard and be vigilantes though. There's a fine line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
I could have been Honda's future customer, but this attitude has ensured that Honda is at the bottom of my list now. I am sure Honda too wouldn't want a mental person as their customer
Don't let this experience change your perception. Go to another showroom.
landcruiser123 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 19:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

AkMar- you did exactly the right thing. There is no traffic violation that gets on my nerves more than wrong side driving. The fact that so many drivers just refuse to accept that it is a serious offence compounds the issue. Even the so called keepers of the law look the other way.

The only way to tackle such idiots is to name & shame them. Having said that I appreciate the Linkway Honda GM' s unqualified apology to you. That is how you win back customer trust.

My guess is after all the lip service, business as usual will recommence. So do keep an eye on this place and quietly shoot any wrong side violations you spot going forward and post them here and on Mumbai traffic police website.
noopster is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 21:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the use of this exercise? It wont change anything. Within no time, and I would not be surprised if it is as early as tomorrow, they will be back to the same routine. The problem is not with the system. It is with all of us now. We have genetically mutated and convinced ourselves with the attitude of chalta hai (myself included). I can see that the signal on the opposite side is a bit busy and it would take them an extra ten minutes each trip to use that. I really do not think that it will make a difference. Regarding the behaviour of the head of the dealership, I feel it is more of a good business acumen rather than any actual concern or remorse. He is not going to gain anything by arguing with you and would in all likelihood just want to end the topic. Because if he says that he is not aware of what his staff is doing, and yes each one of them, then I must say the dealership is heading for a disaster. How would you trust them with your car when the owner has no idea what his staff is upto?

And yes I feel they have the right to ask you to leave from their premises. I don't see anything wrong with that. Only saying since that was a point made by you in the opening post.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th December 2016 at 21:07.
drmohitg is online now   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 10:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its a known fact that if you take a camera to an argument with recording on, you're throwing petrol on fire, because they instantly become insecure knowing that they're being taped. Personally, and this is only my opinion - I wouldn't take a recording of a fight, I will argue my case and that they are breaking road rules and endangering safety of hundreds of other motorists by their actions. This I'll do if at all I'm in the mood to tackle the usual human ways of justification of even obvious flouting of rules as has been depicted in the video.

I'm certainly no fan of Honda, far from it but this has less to do with the company and more about the people running the showroom. They saw a camera, and you gave them the "extra" leverage to insult you by calling yourself "common citizen". I personally don't subscribe to the government's nonsensical classification of myself and every other citizen as "common". I'm certainly leagues above and beyond most "khaas aadmiyon" in terms of education and contribution to society. I give meaning to the society alongwith tens of crores of others by means of taxes, salaries and consumption (which is what a monetary society is all about) and I'm proud of it, I constitute everything that makes democracy and rules and I've a right to point out when either are being violated by others. Whether they accept it or not depends on their conscience, education and simply - humanness.

That having been said, the video certainly depicts inane arguments, illogical responses and circuitously pathetic logic of things from their end. While I know we wouldn't have been aware of all this without the video, do try not to film the next time, instead take them head on with pure facts. In an argument I sure as hell would not like to have a camera up my mouth by the other party while I discuss the problem, it takes away the purpose in my view.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 11:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is the use of this exercise? It wont change anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its a known fact that if you take a camera to an argument with recording on, you're throwing petrol on fire, because they instantly become insecure knowing that they're being taped.
This is exactly the kind of mindset OP is trying to change. If we all decide to throw in the towel and call it a day, nothing will ever change. I applaud AkMar for taking time out of his day and standing up for reason and society. I urge you to do the same if you ever encounter anything like this.

This is one of the reasons I have a dash cam installed on my primary car. You must always have irrefutable evidence of the other party's misdeed or it'll end up being your word against theirs and we all know how that'll end. The only reason the GM and the service manager of the showroom apologized to AkMar was because of the video and the damage it can do should it end up going semi-viral.
DeKay is online now   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 13:11   #11
BHPian

I am surprised that some senior members have expressed a sense of futility in the effort made to discipline the driver of the showroom. The more we accept nonsense, the worse it will become. The effort to videotape the scene must be appreciated simply because it is the only way to make people realize that driving on the wrong side is not okay.
I searched for the dealership on teambhp and found this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ident-pg1.html
This is what happens when lack of discipline is encouraged.
I also feel one must be careful in a situation like this. You can get beaten up.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2016 at 12:38. Reason: Language
Nissan1180 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 11th December 2016, 10:44   #12
BHPian

Due to lack of time, unable to respond to all posts right now - nevertheless I'll start with a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
AkMar- you did exactly the right thing. There is no traffic violation that gets on my nerves more than wrong side driving.

Having said that I appreciate the Linkway Honda GM' s unqualified apology to you. That is how you win back customer trust.

My guess is after all the lip service, business as usual will recommence. So do keep an eye on this place and quietly shoot any wrong side violations you spot going forward and post them here and on Mumbai traffic police website.
Thanks noopster. Yes even for me this is the violation which I hate the most. It has the potential to bring entire road to a gridlock state. The GM's apology is indeed worth appreciating. I'll be keeping a watch on this place over the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What is the use of this exercise? It wont change anything. Within no time, and I would not be surprised if it is as early as tomorrow, they will be back to the same routine. The problem is not with the system. It is with all of us now. We have genetically mutated and convinced ourselves with the attitude of chalta hai (myself included). I feel it is more of a good business acumen rather than any actual concern or remorse. He is not going to gain anything by arguing with you and would in all likelihood just want to end the topic. Because if he says that he is not aware of what his staff is doing, and yes each one of them, then I must say the dealership is heading for a disaster. How would you trust them with your car when the owner has no idea what his staff is upto?
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I do not agree with you that there is no point in this exercise. Someone has to start somewhere. We definitely cannot stop every offender. But that doesn't mean we should just sit and watch.

What I do agree is that it could be business acumen on the part of the dealership. With solid proof in the form of video, they really didn't have any other way out. Although I must add that the GM did sound genuinely sorry when I first spoke to him as a layman, before mentioning that I'm a team BHP member & have posted the incident on the forum.
AkMar is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 12:45   #13
BHPian

Default Re: Linkway Honda, Andheri staff breaks traffic rules, then heckles me when questioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its a known fact that if you take a camera to an argument with recording on, you're throwing petrol on fire, because they instantly become insecure knowing that they're being taped. Personally, and this is only my opinion - I wouldn't take a recording of a fight

That having been said, the video certainly depicts inane arguments, illogical responses and circuitously pathetic logic of things from their end. While I know we wouldn't have been aware of all this without the video, do try not to film the next time, instead take them head on with pure facts. In an argument I sure as hell would not like to have a camera up my mouth by the other party while I discuss the problem, it takes away the purpose in my view.
In fact, the team of Mamoo Patrol had shared on Team BHP (Mamoo Patrol: Confronting Traffic Offenders in Mumbai) that shooting a video of the same ensures that they won't react aggressively. Secondly, without having video as a proof, they could have very well washed their hands off the whole thing.

I would also like to mention that I did not film the entire incident. When I realized that they are dishing out illogical arguments & plainly refusing to listen to what I have to say, only then I took out the phone & started filming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
This is exactly the kind of mindset OP is trying to change. If we all decide to throw in the towel and call it a day, nothing will ever change. I applaud AkMar for taking time out of his day and standing up for reason and society.

The only reason the GM and the service manager of the showroom apologized to AkMar was because of the video and the damage it can do should it end up going semi-viral.
Thank you for your kind words I couldn't agree more with the second paragraph in the quoted part of your post. The moment I mentioned that I had posted the video on Team BHP, there was a drastic change in their tone of speaking, as if they had just heard a very bad news. On hearing the name of T-BHP, they were like, if you feel that our apologies have genuinely reached you, kindly post a positive update there. That is the power of our community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I am surprised that some senior members have expressed a sense of futility in the effort made to discipline the driver of the showroom. The more we accept nonsense, the worse it will becpme. The effort to videotape the scene must be appreciated simply because it is the only way to make people realize that driving on the wrong sode is not okay.
I also feel one must be careful in a situation like this. You can get beaten up.
Thank you for appreciating the efforts. Also thanks for your concern. Yes, I am aware of the risks. In this case I went ahead and shot the incident on video as I was sure that the driver was from showroom. Being a dealership they would think twice before doing something outlandish for the fear of bad publicity (which they have already got).
AkMar is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 17:18   #14
BHPian

Well done. They need to learn it.

My office is in ECO Space, Bellandur, Bangalore. and there are Maruti and Hyundai showrooms across this busy junction in front of ECO space. The cars used by the service personnel during service always drive these cars in one way against the traffic to save a couple of minutes.
sad:) is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 21:43   #15
BHPian

Very well done and I think each of us should make it a point to educate the idiots who take wrong side driving for granted.

In Bangalore, the traffic police have a website called Public Eye where anyone can report offences by posting a picture of the traffic violation along with some details. We need a website like this for every city/town.
vikramk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote