Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st November 2006, 13:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default 18 people were crushed to death

At an unmanned level crossing, an auto driver tried to zip through on seeing a fast approaching EMU train, but unluckily the wheels of auto got struck at elevated track & engine got off. Speeding train rammed into the autorickshaw & killed all the 18 people who were travelling in that shared auto. Could not imagine how 18 people managed to get into a share auto.

Details here.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/...31200622321625

Sorry for the passengers & even to the driver for not being patient for few seconds.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 14:19   #2
BANNED

Must be some kind of stupid people's road week. First 9+baggage in an Uno. Now 18 in a rickshaw.

I only feel sorry for the kids involved. It's not their fault. Any sane adult who travels this way has dug his/her own grave.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 14:42   #3
BHPian

Default A sure way to commit suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
At an unmanned level crossing, an auto driver tried to zip through on seeing a fast approaching EMU train, but unluckily the wheels of auto got struck at elevated track & engine got off. Speeding train rammed into the autorickshaw & killed all the 18 people who were travelling in that shared auto. Could not imagine how 18 people managed to get into a share auto.

Details here.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/...31200622321625

Sorry for the passengers & even to the driver for not being patient for few seconds.
I dont think this has any thing to do with luck.
First of all: 18 in Auto Rickshaw,

secondly trying to cross tracks against a fast approaching train.

A guaranteed recipe for disaster. Now you could go blame auto driver, govt, unmanned whatever.... Its like trying to save some one on a suicide mission. You know what, there are loads of them.

Guys I am feeling stupid, we indians are unsutherable.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 14:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

I still can't figure how 18 got into an Auto, maybe it was one of those diesel Garuda autos, but still 18 is a very high number.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 15:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

It was a 6 seater(including driver) and severly overloaded. This race against the train phenomenan is common in India. I have seen people in cars also trying to beat a speeding train.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 18:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316
I still can't figure how 18 got into an Auto,
It is the Share Auto which can accomodate 6 passengers comforably. But 18 by all means is a very high number. This is the scene even in the share autos operated within the city.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 21:53   #7
BHPian

just think about it, so many people trust these auto, cab,bus drivers,etc. with their lives and some of these drivers dont even realize that they are responsible for the lives of the people they are ferrying from one place to another.
tif0si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:03   #8
BHPian

though the share auto's here in Chennai (much larger than the regular ones) are permitted to carry upto 6 passengers, we rarely get to see one plying with less than 10 people. 16 people in one ! they must've been piled on top of one another !!!

my guess is that the loaded rick would'nt have had enough power to pull the weight of so many people across the track and would've stalled (considering it takes additional effort to cross the elavated portion of the track)

additional info was that there were 3 of such rick's hired by some villagers who were proceeding to a funeral in the the adjacent village...the first two rick's managed to get clearly past the crossing while the driver in the 3rd assumed he too could make it....
slipstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 14:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

And the next day 160 cases are booked in chennai city on autodrivers for overloading. Typical knee jerk reaction of the police. Most of the autos (the regula ones) are owned by Policemen. So i guess there are no rules for them
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 16:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Speeding train rammed into the autorickshaw & killed all the 18 people who were travelling in that shared auto. .
Guys, this is very simple. Since it is a train accident, Indian Railways will pay compensation based on the no. of people who died. Am sure Laloo very promptly and very magnamimously offered to pay Rs. 5 lacs compensation per dead person and Rs. 1 lakh per injured person. If the difference is Rs. 4 lacs, even the injured wont mind declaring themselves as dead. Afterall, they might feel 'yeh jeena bhi koi jeena hai lallu?'

At one point of time in the 70's and 80's (annual floods in Bihar), where 10 people died, the Government records used to show that 1 had died (so that their performance did not look bad); now-a-days they have realised that the more people they show as dead, the more compensation can be claimed, so where 1 person dies, the Government records show that 10 died.

Everyone knows what occurred after 26/7 Bombay floods. Crores were distributed to people who lived on higher floors (i.e., those not affected by floods at all) and to those who did not even live in the flooded areas.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 16:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

@wheeliej : now, thats an interesting perspective. but i think this time it is true. i can visualise so many of them in an auto. in villages, this is quite common & moreoever, these people are not 80kilos plus, they are absolutely puny, fragile beings that can be cramped into lorries or vans, just like vegetables.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote