Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th April 2017, 14:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered

And pray why not?
This idea seems to be already in practice :

"Filld, WeFuel, Yoshi, Purple and Booster Fuels have started operating in a few cities including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Palo Alto, Nashville, Tennessee, and Atlanta, Georgia."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-that-allowed

Looks like this is what the business model is like:
Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-capture2.png
courtesy - https://www.boosterfuels.com/

The delivery guys even seem to clean the car windows and exteriors. Pretty sure that people might be willing to pay a premium, given that quite a few people (even a few BHPians) swear by premium fuels like Speed and Premium. I definitely would be okay with experimenting with it.
nishsingh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 18:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered

When I first read of this, I thought it was from the Onion. Or FakeNews in India. It was that hilarious.

As with anything that this government has done, this is just another attempt to steer the public away from things that really matter the most. Oh and another hilarious one - aadhar card for cows.

But to make this a real discussion, I thought up ways as to how this can fail - pilferage, adulteration and so much more. Do we really need the government on paying for the logistics of such an undertaking? No way!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 19:59   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to remain anonymous) for sharing this!

Quote:
2 days ago, diesel was delivered for DG in Hyderabad. The guys look like they are wearing Bharat Petroleum uniforms.
Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-img_20170422_152600.jpg

Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-img_20170422_152323.jpg

Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-img_20170422_152304.jpg
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 22:49   #49
BHPian

Home delivery of petrol is probably the worst idea coming out of the govt. think tank, besides installing RFID tags to track and "protect" cows.

A car, by design, is intended to move and go places. So, why would anyone simply park their car at home and have someone else deliver petrol to their house? It's not like we don't have enough petrol bunks.

If you are too lazy to drive and fill petrol in your car, the good news is you don't need any petrol at all.
ashwin489 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 23:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have seen mini (100..150 litre tanks) being pulled along behind tractors quite often, in the Whitefield area of bangalore. Never occurred to click a pic.

And regardless of oil marketing company rules, most stations especially the highway ones are quite ok with filling petrol into a bisleri bottle for the use of stranded motorists.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 10:38   #51
BHPian

I support the idea.

There is a market requirement & I am surprised at the negative reaction towards the idea.

The fuel distribution and marketing needs fine tuning and there will be a long list of lessons learnt.
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 13:40   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Attachment 1633055

Attachment 1633056

Attachment 1633057
This system is on from a while! Many factories get diesel delivered from these smaller trucks that have inbuilt meters
yash2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 16:32   #53

Post Re: Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash2424 View Post
This system is on from a while! Many factories get diesel delivered from these smaller trucks that have inbuilt meters
Exactly , have seen diesel being filled in to many generators in the fashion below.This IMO is an old occurrence.Looking at the site under constructions in the pics by GTO , seems like the case.

Seriously doubt if the idea of home delivery works! like we do not have enough problems with "delivery charge" as faced with LPG cylinders.
Seems someone took the "bank comes home" , "doctors come home", etc scheme seriously
iceman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 16:44   #54
BHPian

I read this news yesterday on twitter and dismissed it as one of those onion type articles. Only now when I saw this on team bhp, am I figuring this is real. Can't even make out the difference anymore.

Isn't petrol highly inflammable? The way courier guys and other delivery person work in India, I wouldn't want any of them carrying a highly inflammable car, vehicle, jerrycane anywhere near my house.

Are lines at Petrol pumps really that big a deal? The cities usually have enough pumps and I see lines only when govt raises prices etc and even that is becoming less these days with a price revision every fortnight.

The minister probably just wanted to make a "digital" statement as is the norm these days, to please the PM
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 17:05   #55
BHPian

That's a cool idea, will they also check the air?? I do that at every visit to the fuel pump, boy our Govt is making us lazy!
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 18:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman07 View Post
"doctors come home", etc scheme seriously
Exactly.

There are certain requirements that are to be home delivered. For instance, potable water, emergency healthcare, ration for the elderly. Government should concentrate on doing what is enjoined upon it in the constitution in the form of Directive Principles of State Policy and not initiate some random, direction-less scheme to garner news space.

A guy who owns a vehicle will use it to move around. He will fill it while on one of these rounds. It is not as if he will have to get himself out of the house only to go to a petrol bunk to fill fuel and come back and park the vehicle.

That being said, I think our netas have developed a panache for making popular statements without giving them a proper thought and hence not completely understanding it themselves. Had the minister explained the matter clearly, there would have been no room for speculations. We would have been asking practical questions instead of debating on the pros and cons of what could be.

Going back a little, I am curious to know how many of us have ever bought the 5kg LPG cylinders that were launched with much fan fare and are supposed to be available at your neighbourhood petrol bunks (but rarely are)?

OR, have they been taken away by the agents to be home delivered?
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017, 20:51   #57
BHPian

I think everyone is going overboard ! Petrol or diesel will not be 'home delivered' in jerrycans or drums or barrels of any sort, but in mini-tankers like the ones pictured by GTO above. They will have metered dispensers and will be run by people in oil companies' uniforms, with the same checks and balances available at pump outlets (like measure cans, filter papers etc.).
I think the idea is to appear 'hep' and 'service oriented' while looting us by charging high excise, cess, and other taxes in times when crude prices are very low ! No doubt it will be convenient for people running gensets, IC engined lawn mowers, and such.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 19:28   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this via whatsapp - MyPetrolPump.com
www.mypetrolpump.com

Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-mpp1.jpg

Oil Ministry: To beat lines at Petrol Pumps, home delivery being considered-mpp2.jpg
  • Service in Bangalore only as of now
  • Service only in certain areas of Bangalore (4 or 5 pincodes)
  • Right now, they deliver only diesel fuel
  • Delivery charges of Rs. 100
  • Minimum quantity 20 litres
smartcat is online now   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 18:01   #59
BHPian

Stupid move.
There's no real need for such services and there are potential dangers associated with this service.

I'm sure that with a delivery charge of Rs. 100, these guys will close down in a few months.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 19:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
[*]Service in Bangalore only as of now[*]Service only in certain areas of Bangalore (4 or 5 pincodes)[*]Right now, they deliver only diesel fuel[*]Delivery charges of Rs. 100 [*]Minimum quantity 20 litres[/list]
The only customers I can think of are the apartments, offices, business houses, etc. for running their gensets. In fact is a good proposition for them. They can crub the pilferage that happens at many levels currently. For e.g. in the apartment that I live, we get diesel in cans from the nearby pump. A person takes an auto (by paying Rs. 200) to buy diesel and there is no way to ensure that the quantity or the quality is right. By offering only diesel, I think they are targeting these customers.

EDIT. Also it may help the queue at the pumps once these bulk purchases are gone.

Last edited by bejoy : 21st June 2017 at 19:28.
bejoy is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote