View Poll Results: I sleep / powernap in a car driven by another person:
Very frequently 12 2.86%
Frequently 21 5.01%
Sometimes 75 17.90%
Rarely 168 40.10%
Never 143 34.13%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th May 2017, 16:01   #46

Default Re: Sleeping / power-napping in a car as a passenger - Your view?

I still remember my hometown travels in government buses where I always use to pick a seat close enough to the driver. It is almost impossible for me sleep when someone else is driving. At least I should keep watching the happenings on road to beat the fear to some extent.

Now a days, I always find myself in driving seat irrespective of distance and time. And luckily, my wife donít drive.
vjstanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 16:05   #47

This one is tricky to answer. Not sure how to vote on this one.

Rarely do I get an opportunity to not drive. When the opportunity strikes, frequently I do sleep.
MS_Auto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 16:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

NEVER. I have never been able to sleep irrespective of how tired or sleepy i have been whenever anyone else is driving. Either in a private car or in a taxi. I am always looking either at the road or to see if the driver is attentive enough.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 17:38   #49
BHPian

I get a good sleep if the driver is comfortable with someone sleeping in the car. I make sure that I ask and get an honest answer. I have had many people asking me to stay awake, and I stay awake. I certainly do not like "back seat driving" and I also practice what I preach.

My philosophy is, would I keep awake in a train, bus, airplane? Since I trust the person in charge on other vehicles, why not on a car as well?
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 18:13   #50
BHPian

I have my own situations on this topic
My car: If the car is mine and driven by others, i was never able to close my eyes/ sleep for a moment.

Other's car: Could sleep for very less time only if i am too tired or had sleepless night.

Last edited by RapidRavi : 26th May 2017 at 18:14.
RapidRavi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 20:25   #51
BHPian

Voted 'Never'

I did that once, back in 2007, Opened my eyes to find a truck headlight staring at me, dashboard resting in my lap! Steam and smoke all over the place.

There are rare exceptions with few drivers who I trust blindly! But unfortunately I seldom drive with them in the same car!

Last edited by anand.shankar : 26th May 2017 at 20:29.
anand.shankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 21:10   #52
BHPian

Voted : Never

I just cant get sleep in a moving vehicle - Car / Bus / Plane.

Like many have said, its not good to sleep as the co-passenger, even if I am seated at the back I just cant get myself to sleep. I'll close my eyes, but I will still be aware of whats happening and every couple of minutes wake up to see that all is well with the driver. In the end I wind up not sleeping at all.

When travelling overnight in buses, the posture isnt comfortable and I prefer to be in the first row on the left, so the usual disturbances of someone opening the door / headlight glares from the oncoming vehicles dont allow me to sleep.

Even when I fly from India to US - a good 15 hour flight, I can barely sleep for an hour at max, and more from boredom and timezone fatigue than actually getting a relaxing sleep. And being 6'4 doesnt help either. Though I have almost always got an emergency exit seat so that I can stretch myself, the downside is that these are always near the toilets so theres always some one walking by or theres the usual group of people gathered at the alley standing and talking
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 21:14   #53
Team-BHP Support

Voted never.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Even if I have to hand over the wheel to a friend out of courtesy, I prefer to sit in the front passenger seat and keep an eye on the road.
I follow the same. Also I feel (read believe) if I'm sleeping next to the driver, it's only a matter of time for him to feel sleepy too. Especially if it's a long drive or so.

In a situation like that I'll tell him to take multiple stops for stretching/chai breaks.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 21:39   #54
BHPian

I voted rarely.

It's generally really difficult for me to sleep in a car as I'm an incredibly light sleeper - I can wake up with a phone vibrating for an email, on the other side of the bed.

With that said however, there have been a few times where I've made early morning trips out of the city and had a 30-45 minute nap in the rear seat. But apart from that it's very difficult for me to sleep. Flights are a completely different story however, I can sleep before take off and wake up after landing whether the flight is 2 hours or 10 hours.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 21:42   #55
BHPian

Voted 'Never'-

It is more of a practice to be awake when someone else is driving the car. A practice followed before I learnt to drive myself. Like mentioned by OP I do not feel comfortable to sleep when I am the passenger.

I follow this as I work in graveyard shifts and always travel by cabs to my office. Knowing the fact that cab drivers sleep for 1-2 hours between their scheduled trips it is my responsibility as a passenger to stay awake and ensure that the driver is not dozing off while driving. Trust me, this has helped me to avoid at least two big mishaps.

My colleague has been at the receiving end of a big accident in early morning when travelling to office. I blame some practices followed, like having the AC ON in chilled mode on a winter morning (needless), sleeping in the front passenger seat in early morning hours of 5:00 to 6:00 AM (this being the major factor). These things made the driver even more sleepy and he crashed the car at speed into the divider, seriously injuring himself and the passengers. Some people say that it is the responsibility of the driver to drive safely regardless of passengers are awake or not. I disagree and believe that there should be mutual respect towards their profession as well and we should be more ethical by doing the least thing of not sleeping.

A loss of an hour of sleep is not going to deteriorate anyone's health.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 22:18   #56
BHPian

Voted "Sometimes".
The some times happens only if my wife, daughter or son is driving. Luckily all of us happen to be good drivers. However, sleeping in the co-pilot's is an absolute and emphatic "No".
ashphil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 11:21   #57
BHPian

if I am sitting on co driver seat then no I don't sleep. But rarely if car is driven by someone known then might for few minutes.

In back seat sleep like a baby provided car is driven by someone known and not a cab or taxi driver.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 12:05   #58
BHPian

Thanks to working with a BPO doing early morning shifts, there was a time when I could sleep like a baby in any car under all circumstances! That being a while ago, I can still take a power nap when someone else is driving - no issues whatsoever!
A different perspective : As a full time UberDriver, I drive thru the night so I get many passengers who doze off in the vehicle - it's quite common - possibly because of a better car and careful driving!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 16:13   #59
BHPian

If it's a friend's car then I sleep like a bear in hibernation (even over intra-city distances) unless asked specifically to drive.

In my car, I pity the one who dreams of driving it.
revvenant is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 16:31   #60
BHPian

My wife sleeps within 2 minutes in the car once the car starts moving. Once we were coming back from Hyderabad and she was to drive all the way, she gave up after 400 kms as she was feeling sleepy while driving. Face-palm.

Infact I cannot sleep in car as I have an OCD about how the other person is driving. I am never at peace.
raaj.bhalla is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote