Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th June 2017, 07:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: New proposal: Parking in Delhi might get tougher, more expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I know it sounds cynical but that has been my experience on any new law: Enforcement for sometime, then forget about it completely, except during the month end
I agree a 100% on this. On the contrary, such frequent changes confuse people and they'd rather chose to pay off fines/bribes than constantly learn new laws.

Urban Development needs to have far better planning skills & Govt needs to ensure it's implemented in reality.

Also as suggested, the number of people as well as the technology managing roads needs to be improved/increased drastically.

Only when the basics are right, we should try other (read extreme) measures per scenario basis. At least the basics will "pave the way" for better future roads in non-metros who when in future move to metros will implement most of the same learnings with very little new learning curve.
DevendraG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 09:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Haven't bought a car in the recent past, so not entirely sure of the applicable law, but I heard, even now, you need to 'prove' that you have a legitimate parking space before buying a 4-wheeler. And how do you prove it? An affidavit on a 10-rupee stamp paper.

The problem is not fewer laws, the problem is no enforcement. But I guess the state govt does have a say on the police here, so they can't really up the ante on violations.

And police will continue with their age old methods unless someone makes them see some sense. Everyday I see the police cranes shuttling between the local market and the police station 1.5 kms away. Why can't they simply buy a 1000 clamps and put them on ALL the vehicles rather than picking and choosing a few. Make these people travel to the police station and pay the fines before unlocking the wheels. The crane might have been a good option when there were 4 or 5 cars wrongly parked. Now with that number close to 500, it isn't the best solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Oh, and 1 crore vehicles in Delhi being managed by ~7,000 traffic police personnel - what are the chances that you'd be fined? No wonder Delhiites drive and park so badly with no fear of consequences.
Very well said. The average Delhite is least bothered about other's convenience but is ready to kill if he/she is inconvenienced in any way, on the roads.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:35   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Haven't bought a car in the recent past, so not entirely sure of the applicable law, but I heard, even now, you need to 'prove' that you have a legitimate parking space before buying a 4-wheeler. And how do you prove it? An affidavit on a 10-rupee stamp paper.
I have heard of this law but I don't think it exist in Delhi. Last month we bought a new car and no one asked for such information from us. Is this specific to few areas in Delhi.
oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote