Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th June 2017, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Default Avis self-drive car rentals in India

Hi Everyone,

Recently I was looking to rent a 7 seater car for our next 4 day trip with 5 adults and 4 year old kid. Checked out the usual Zoomcar, Myles, Revv etc. Then I came to find out that Avis is pushing very strongly in India and have a wide range of cars available.

I wanted to know if any of the forum members have had experience with Avis in India, and how was their view on car condition, service, assistance etc. Please share if you have more info, I wish to do booking soon.

I can see below features from casual browsing.
  • Free pick up and drop.
  • Most of the cars are available to pick and drop, round the clock, saving money on not having to book the previous night when starting early morning.
  • Unlimited kms. Rates are comparable inmost cases to Myles.
  • Good promotions going on. 25% off on mobile app.
  • 5000 Rs security.
Avis self-drive car rentals in India-screen-shot-20170617-11.05.21-am.png
Avis self-drive car rentals in India-screen-shot-20170617-11.05.42-am.png
Avis self-drive car rentals in India-screen-shot-20170617-11.05.52-am.png
autorahul is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 13:05   #2
BHPian

Default re: Avis self-drive car rentals in India

Thanks for sharing autorahul .

The terms in case of any third party damage is far more stiffer in case of Avis when compared to Myles, where one can opt for a comprehensive cover.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2017 at 11:09. Reason: typo
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 11:17   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Avis self-drive car rentals in India

Seems to be a small re-entry as Avis self-drives are currently available in a small number of cities (Mumbai not on the list). By the way, they used to offer self-drive rentals before - link.

Prima facie, pricing seems to be higher than Zoom, considering that fuel isn't included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Free pick up and drop
Got to love the convenience . It's a win win. Benefit to them is no need to rent prime parking spots in the city. Cars can be stored in a cheap location anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
The terms in case of any third party damage is far more stiffer in case of Avis when compared to Myles, where one can opt for a comprehensive cover.
Does seem expensive. From their FAQ page):

Quote:
Damage cost up to INR 5,000 to be borne by the customer. In the case of a damage exceeding Rs.5000, insurance claim will be filed by Avis and the depreciation amount and the parts which are not covered under insurance to be borne by the customer.
Therefore, if you damage their car, it's 5K + whatever the insurance hasn't covered.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

If stricter terms mean I'll get an actual functional car and not a stinking hunk of junk posing as one, I'll gladly pay up.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 13:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Prima facie, pricing seems to be higher than Zoom, considering that fuel isn't included?

Does seem expensive. From their FAQ page):

Therefore, if you damage their car, it's 5K + whatever the insurance hasn't covered.
And I do not think they advertise what type of insurance coverage the car has. Zero dep is good to have, but if it is a plain jane comprehensive cover, better to avoid, since even removing a small dent & repainting can cost more than 5k at the A.S.S.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 01:33   #6
BHPian

Ok, so needed a big MUV for 6 people for coming long weekend around Independence Day.

The usual suspects were zoom and myles.
I am big fan of myles with more than twenty successful booking and not even one complaint.
Zoom is very cost effective for low mileage use with their lite plan and I can just about tolerate their poorly maintained vehicle.

However, Zoom has no proper 6 seater in their cavalry and myles innova are getting a bit old. I did not want to be stuck with a lakh+ abused innova for my trip to hills. Was looking for crysta but myles is not offering it yet.

After going through half a dozen other self drive options in capital (voler, revv, self drive, ecodrive, youdrive, me drive etc etc) stumbled upon Avis. They are back in India and have crysta in their lineup and are charging same amount as innova for it (other are charging double for crysta).

In addition they are offering free drop and pickup anywhere in Delhi NCR. This meant I could get delivery on the same morning as I want to leave at a location which no one else services (Faridabad).

Plus with 25% discount on their app it was no brainer with crysta working out to be a measly INR 11912 + INR 5000 security for 4 days against 25-30K with others.

With the decision made my misery started. Their web and app interface is very poor. Also the discount code was not working on App. A holler on their social media account got the wheels moving and after more than a dozen interaction with different avis representatives over two days, I was made to make a payment on a link with discount 'manually' done due to system error.

Since it is a manual booking it does not reflects in my account with Avis. I am hoping it does reflects in theirs.

I anyways made them send me a mail with complete details including pickup and drop off location. A few minutes later I got a message telling me that my booking has been modified and now pick up time is 02:50 against original 03:00.

I am keeping my finger crossed on this one. This experience is also uncannily similar to my first self drive experience with myles way back in 2013. deja vu Link here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3322838 (Feedback on different Self Drive rental agencies)

I think I will give Avis a fair try, after all since my tryst with myles in 2013, true to my declaration then, I have never hired a driven taxi again.

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 13:19   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They just added an E-Class to their self-drive fleet. 9,500 / day - link.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote