Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 13th November 2006, 14:09   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry about that, Karthik. That was one hell of a good-looking car esp with the kit.
Old 13th November 2006, 14:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
Ishan, not once have I preached against underage driving .. I too drove at an early age. What I am concerned about is this guys not comprehending the implications of what he has gone through.
If he's not it's none of our concern now is it? We've made out point now let's move on, let him deal with his life the way HE wants to. Don't forget Manveet at this age you, me, everyone else IS WRONG. No point harping on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
He has had enough opportunities to slow down on this thread. He continues to post a response, and hence it gets worse by simply going on and on.
Then you should act as a mature adult & not take the bait.
Old 13th November 2006, 15:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

The damaged wall.
does a wall crack like that with such an impact, if such is the impact that the wall had such big cracks, can anyone easily locate the point of impact. atleast i couldnt locate exactly.
I have my own doubts(i will quote them later) on the quality of the wall. (40k is what AAI is claiming??)
Old 13th November 2006, 15:28   #79
Team-BHP Support

Really sorry to see this happen to your lovingly maintained Lancer.
Old 13th November 2006, 16:14   #80
BHPian

Take care Karthik. Make sure you always wear your seatbelts while you drive - without that "your" situation would have been bad. Its always good to be driving with caution along the beach side. The local guys dont behave nice. You are so lucky you didnt run into someone; atleast the damage to the wall is repairable - even a small accident in that vicinity is bad for us - they dont behave nice, no matter who was at fault.

Most accidents happen due to ricks, 2-wheeler guys and cycle wallahs - they just want to clear the road even if you honk right into their ears. Thats the culture - no other way to live with this.

Its heart breaking to see the car in this shape - I have so many reasons too :-)

Anyway, get well soon and take care...accidents, no one can predict them, we can only be careful.....
Old 13th November 2006, 16:42   #81
BHPian

Well, interesting reading... If karthik learns from his mistakes, good for him and his family and his future. I hope you dont have to worry about the costs of repair or the 40K to be shelled out for the wall, as it is your parents who have to take care of that, eh (unless you earn from some part-time job)? Cool down, be careful in the future as you may not be so lucky always. Good luck...
Old 13th November 2006, 17:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

hey karthik its really sad man but good to know that you all are ok.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:29   #83
Senior - BHPian

Just cleared all the police formalities and got the car back to the authorised workshop. The car is insured for Rs.5,78,xxx and the total repair cost is expected to be atleast 2lakhs (the manager told me). Now we're thinking about considering it as a total loss and try to get 4.5lakhs from the insurance company. Also i can sell off the alloys and performance mods saperately. I guess thats the best thing to do. What do u guys say about that??

The guys at the service place told me the driveshaft, engine platform and the gearbox must have been damages as well besides the frame and bodywork

Another thing is, i got the car 2nd hand for 5lakhs a few months ago. The car is about 15months old now.

Last edited by karthik247 : 13th November 2006 at 17:32.
Old 13th November 2006, 17:32   #84
Senior - BHPian

Considering you won't get more than 3L (my estimate) for the car even when she's fixed, I would say you would be better off claiming her as a write-off. And in any case whenever a car has structural damage to the extent your car does, she never feels the same again.

Maybe you could save money by taking off the alloys, ICE etc.
Old 13th November 2006, 18:02   #85
BHPian

Default Me... have learnt a lesson out of your experience

Karthik, need to hand it to you guys for having worn the seatbelts inspite of it not being compulsory in your town.... I have learnt my lesson and use to wear them grudgingly because its the law out here at Hyderabad, but trust me I have learnt out of your experience not to ever go around without strapping myself from now on....

Now the next thing I have to check is whether I can afford a Lancer... seems to be a safe car inspite of the magnitude of the impact, you have / had made a right choice by going in for it....

Now cheer up buddy and wishing that you get yourself a spanking new car that you will cherish too as you did this...
Old 13th November 2006, 18:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
The car is insured for Rs.5,78,xxx and the total repair cost is expected to be atleast 2lakhs (the manager told me). Now we're thinking about considering it as a total loss and try to get 4.5lakhs from the insurance company.
As per me Karthik, you won't be able to get a write-off. I am not an expert on this subject but here's what I understood from my experience.

As a rule of thumb, the Insurance company considers the car to be a Total-Loss only if the projected expenses incurred by it are over 70% of the insured value. Now the key here is that this amount is not the estimated cost of repair but only the fraction of it that the Insurance is Liable to pay. This fraction is a function of the depreciation on your car.

I don't have the details on your car, but broadly, if yours is a new car, then the extent the insurance company will end up paying will obviously be closer to the billed value than if you had an older car. Eitherways you aren't even close to the requisite figure.

70% of 5.8L is ~ 4L. If the original quote is 2L, once the surveyor visits expect it to go down to 1.5L-1.6L. Now, if you want the money paid by the Insurance company to exceed 4L, you'll have to jack the estimate upto 5L atleast. Not possible AFAIK.

Your best bet is to get the car fixed and sell it off ASAP minus the mods.

Regards
Old 13th November 2006, 18:47   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

get the max frm insurance guys..4.7lac? best bet

i doubt that you can sell that car at tvm even if you get it repaired. small place big car new spreads fast.
Old 13th November 2006, 19:43   #88
BHPian

Well, Let the boy get the machine checked out first, If its a Radiator smash and body damage..! Then he may still find a few buyers, as long as the engine bay is undamaged..!
My suggestion is,get the baby repaired, She saved your Life..And now you're going to dump her for lousy external damage..I'm sure that she will perform the same if not less..! Give it a Try..!
Old 13th November 2006, 19:52   #89
Senior - BHPian

The Marikar guys (A.S.S) told me themselves they'll claim it as total loss if i want. Here is the damage list they roughly gave me...

Radiator, condenser, engine frame and mountings, gearbox, driveshaft, steering coloumn, windshield, bonnet, fender, roof damage, bumpers, grill, tail lamps, headlights, indicators, wipers, front door, rear boot, differential, quarter panal, brake disc, aporon twisted by about 8inches so the engine is not in its proper shape, its tilted and all. They'll only know the rest after they remove the engine from the bay and have a closer look. Also labour and painting charges not included. Lancer parts don't come cheap either.
Old 13th November 2006, 20:04   #90
BHPian

Apart from the Gearbox,Driveshaft,Differntial(They need to be throughly checked and Replaced for any damages)...all the others are repairs that can be done to perfection..! If its of some value to you I suggest get her up and drive it some more years..! Otherwise, You will still need to repair her though and sell her :(
Closed Thread