Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th November 2006, 13:33   #31
Team-BHP Support

Another Saturday night, another sickening accident.
I would like to see three parties punished severely in this case.
1) The driver - for drunken driving, overspeeding and negligence. If the car's axle broke before the accident, it means the vehicle had not been checked regularly.
2) The MCGM Contractor - for hiring homeless, pennyless labourers just because they'll work for a cheaper price and after hiring them, not providing proper accomodation.
3) The MCGM - for holding the entire city at ransom. These criminals have seriously taken Mumbaikars for a ride. All over the city, roads have been dug up, for various reasons, since many months. This results in great inconvenience to motorists and pedestrians alike. The say, "Bear with us today for a better tommorow." Here, it looks like, "tommorow never comes."
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 15:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish

Although there is no excuse for drunken driving, (our youth need some lessons in partying...till then 11:30pm deadline like Bangalore seems to be the only option) the way people are sleeping, Anyone in emergencies can knock over these people...even Ambulances...
how can an 11:30 deadline make any difference ? People can drink at home nd at private parties too

Last edited by khanak : 14th November 2006 at 15:36.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 15:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
If they were not sleeping, but walking on the pavement, would the car not have killed them???
its a lot tougher to see someone who is sleeping on the road than to see someone walking on the pavement. Also pedestrians can react and get out of the way in time in case they see a car coming towards them. There is no way that sleeping on a pavement is justified from a safety point of view
Old 14th November 2006, 16:56   #34
BHPian

Exclamation

well every body thinks they can handle cars like toys when they re drunk but then you tend to do things when you re drunk which you will not even dream of while being sober ( i know with my own experience ) and when friends told me the next day that it was scary to be with you the other day but as with time i hardly take any drinks if i have to drive say 2 pegs of 45 -50 ml at the most i kown its tuff for you to go in a taxi or let be driven by anyone else cause you feel you re not drunk enough to cause a mishap and lets not bring in infrastructure bottlenecs and authorities to blame Come on guys its you own country you no people aint got places to sleep its not only those 6 we have 60 million people on the road today cause we have all the luxeries of life does it mean we will move those people down and can blame authorities well if i am driving at more speeds where the road dosnt permit i have to slow down cars dont ride pavements they ride roads and when they re on pavements it only driver to blame and she was drunk and so drunk thats she couldnt control that beast had she been living in America could she do such a thing forget drinking she would not even bother to be sitting next to somone who is drunk there cause you suddenly become reposible accross the atlantic but here the same guy makes a peg in the moving cars and drinks with one hand on the wheel ,so the responsibilty has to come out from with in i had reduded alcohol consumtion from 6-8 pegs to 2 cause i know alcohol is on drivers seat not me if its more than 2 so the points is fun dosnt have to end with ending your s or somebody elses life I have driven at speeds in excess of 175 on delhi roads at night after parties and now when i look backs its a matter of shame for me nothing gr8 to boast off so bad was my habbit that i drove drunk in canada also and at higer speeds have i been caugt there i would had to go through real hell So pls as DONT DRINK AND DRIVE and then blame poor guys for sleeping on the road
rubin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 06:23   #35
BHPian

call me whatever you want to - even i am guilty - team bhp meets with booze & late nights - how many of us have gotten back home drunk ?????

something to ponder upon ??
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 06:27   #36
BHPian

again : typing here the worst case scenario : just ponder over it

some kiddo gets drunk in a team bhp meet - i know there are plenty of under 20's here - is driving back home - god forbid - gets involved in a accident or something untoward - news splashes all over the media - negative publicity for team bhp - u know how our media is - car lovers who meet over booze & drive drunk ...

i know i am not gonna get many cheers out of this post !!!!!
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 09:36   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1
i know i am not gonna get many cheers out of this post !!!!!
You actually deserve appreciation for being frank and owning up.

True, man. I have also wondered about this. Luckily we do not have many meets here in Chennai and the ones we have are usually daytime meets without alcohol. Atleast I have not attended one where there was liquor.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th November 2006 at 09:38.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 10:17   #38
BHPian

As Zappo mentioned already - it looks like we might be siding the driver (albeit drunken !). How can you blame the poor people who come to cities to get ONE GOOD MEAL in a day..c'mon folks. We have to realise what poverty is and what it can do to anyone (make them sleep on footpath!). No doubt the govt is to be blamed but then what is a govt - by the people, for the people and OF THE PEOPLE. We are equally responsible for this.

The car was meant to be driven on road and not on pavement. If you drive slowly, you can control the car but if you are DRUNK and zipping thru in your new toyota, what else would we expect? It is a shame that people drink and drive - one of our friend lost their kid to drunk driver and that too the kid was sitting in a booster seat in a well built van in US.
People have to realise and drinking and driving IS A NO NO period.
Now the media having fun with this news is different story and it might be another story if the driver was not drunk - but who knows the truth. But then we all know in our hearts what actually happened - looking at the condition of car, what folks, what area etc etc..
In the end we also know what will happen to this case - charges dropped. The poor lady who lost 3 members of her family will be tempted by the "chillar" of our rich class lying somewhere in their chest drawers and hence ...everyone benefits. The poor lady gets money as she has to live on..as she can't switch off her growling stomach and others that depend on her. It is good in the end for the victims family but then question is how do we make people realise ..that drinking and driving is NOT a option...I don't like punishments but what other options do we have?????
Master530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 10:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mumbai: Till last week, a midnight snack and a quick shot of rum hidden in a cola bottle were rather the norm along the picturesque, sea-facing Carter Road in Bandra. But not after Sunday’s tragedy.
Around 48 hours later, at 1.15am on Tuesday, youngsters in lowrise jeans and fancy sneakers were missing from the road as well as the promenade. Gone were the parked cars with wide-open doors, pulsating car-stereo music and pizzas on bonnets. The impromptu open-air parties had been brought to a halt.
In place were stern-faced policemen with breathalysers and their trademark yellow barricades, placed in zigzag fashion along the road to check drunken and rash driving. “This place is dead now, man!’’ remarked a 20-year-old marine engineering student who came to the road at around 2am with four friends to “generally chill and catch the breeze’’.
But on seeing the silent stretch, which had just a few waiting autorickshaws, they disappeared in a jiffy.
The Cafe Coffee Day shop near the Union Park end of the road shut down after midnight. The police checked almost every car that drove by.
Additional police commissioner Bipin Bihari, whose office is on Carter Road, told TOI, “We have already registered two cases of drunken driving along Carter Road after the accident.’’
Chinmay Maseria, 27, who drove up at around 1.05am, was booked after a breathalyser check detected alcohol in his blood. Minutes later, at 1.15am, Inderbir Singh, 34, was booked for the same offence. The police also booked one person for not having proper driving documents and a licence. Two men were booked in separate instances for travelling triple-seat on a motorbike.
Though Bihari added that the police checks would continue every night to dissuade lawless driving, he added that law-abiding citizens were welcome to Carter Road. “So long as people do not drink or play loud music, the police will not interfere,’’ he clarified.
Meanwhile, a lone coffee boy on a bicycle did below-average business. “There used to be a ‘mela’ at Carter Road. Now, it is all silent,’’ he said
Source: Times Of India
Old 15th November 2006, 10:46   #40
BANNED

Give it a few days and it will be back to business as usual.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 11:42   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, they will step up the checks for a few weeks and then it will be back to the usual chaos.

@Master530i, you have a very valid point. Just as rubin2006 also posted.

Infact we had a very similar thread (Overspeeding Car kills 2 pavement dwellers) - drunk driver runs over people sleeping on pavement, and also in Mumbai. These threads could infact be merged, as they discuss the same scenario.

And @rks had made a very valid point on that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
It may be illegal to sleep on the footpath. But the driver is still legally liable for running over pavement dwellers. That is the way the law works and I think it is right. There are many other similar scenarios -- e.g. most of our pedestrians cross the road illegally -- they are supposed to go to a pedestrian crossing and then maybe wait for the traffic signal, but they seldom do. That doesn't mean that our drivers should be able to get away with running them over. It is still the driver's responsiblity to ensure safety of pedestrians.

Sleeping on the pavement mightbe illegal (though I am not sure whether there is any law specifically mentioning this). But then, an automobile has no reason to be on the pavement, which is for pedestrians use.
Comparing the crime of "mowing down 7 people with a car, more so under the influence" and the so-called illegal act of "sleeping on the pavement" is illogical and cruel. The gravity of the crime needs to be taken into consideration too.
Old 15th November 2006, 12:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Sleeping on the pavement mightbe illegal (though I am not sure whether there is any law specifically mentioning this). But then, an automobile has no reason to be on the pavement, which is for pedestrians use.
So now people need a law to tell them that sleeping on the pavement is illegal and risky ?? There is something called Common Sense thats inbuilt in every brain.

Quote:
Comparing the crime of "mowing down 7 people with a car, more so under the influence" and the so-called illegal act of "sleeping on the pavement" is illogical and cruel. The gravity of the crime needs to be taken into consideration too.
Yes the guy driving the car is guilty for drinking and driving and should be dealt with SEVERELY but using the term "MOWING DOWN 7 PEOPLE" gives the meaning that it was done on purpose.

Accidents happen intentionally or unintentionally (under influence or not under influence of alchhol) - that doesnt mean people sleeping illegally on pavements and roads walk away with all sympathy while the driver gets labelled as a murderer.

Just my 2 cents.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 12:25   #43
BANNED

SB, yes there is a law against sleeping on the pavements. Since the accident, authorities are finally starting to enforce it (not for long, I'm sure).
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 12:55   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
There is something called Common Sense thats inbuilt in every brain.
True. But I hope you would accept that these were not guys that had a home of their own (like us fortunate) and still chose to sleep on the pavement just for the heck of it. They did not have any other option and if so, I am not sure whether the common sense part is relevant here.

Quote:
Yes the guy driving the car is guilty for drinking and driving and should be dealt with SEVERELY but using the term "MOWING DOWN 7 PEOPLE" gives the meaning that it was done on purpose.
Maybe in his drunken state, that was not his intention. Heck, when people drive drunk, the last thing their influenced mind wants is to crash the car or kill people. But, that does not absolve them of the responsibility once the shi* hits the fan.

I am not trying to sport a holier-than-thou attitude here. Infact I can't, because there have been times (though many years ago), when I have driven home after having a couple of pegs at office parties. It is just that we are missing the whole point here. We are talking 7 human lives, which in most probability would not have been snuffed out, if the guy at the wheel was not drunk.

Quote:
Accidents happen intentionally or unintentionally (under influence or not under influence of alchhol) - that doesnt mean people sleeping illegally on pavements and roads walk away with all sympathy while the driver gets labelled as a murderer.
When it happens in normal course, it is an accident. If the guy was drunk, then it is usually termed homicide.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th November 2006 at 12:56.
Old 15th November 2006, 13:01   #45
BHPian

but shouldn't some people in the police dept & the BMC (who are responsible to enforce these laws) be charged & suspended? i mean till the time these guys dont get punished these things will keep cropping up again.

trust me, the day the govt fires the SHO of that area half the nation's problems will be solved.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote