Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th November 2006, 00:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
BTM Layout, Hosur Road, Silk Board Junction, Bannerghatta Road, Whitefield-around ITPL, Sarjapur Road and Bangalore University Campus off Mysore Road are areas to explicitly avoid especially after dark and particularly if travelling alone - doesnt matter if you're a man/woman.
theMag,
You have covered most of the IT corridor. Where is it safe in Bangalore now??? In IT jobs, it's inevitable to go through these routes and that too during late hours. All one can do is being cautious and probably being brave.

Well, I had came to know on a such incident that occured on airport road probably a year back and in an another incident, a close friend was trapped and pounded on a national highway. Vidiraj couldn't have escaped due to traffic jam but a golden rule is that if possible, run over those goons but never stop the car at odd hours. Very much Brazilian style...
nispatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 01:53   #17
BHPian

@KPH i second that....

Very true......
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 10:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post
a golden rule is that if possible, run over those goons but never stop the car at odd hours. Very much Brazilian style...
I dont think thats a good idea. Earlier you didnt do anything and still they were pressing charges. After doing something like this, even cops will turn against you. They'll have a proper case now! with proof i.e.
Dunno what is the right thing to do here.. even if one is strong, overpowering 4 guys at once is very tough if not impossible. Maybe carrying pepper spray bottle will help (i know guys who do a lot of touring on bikes swearing by its effectiveness). It sure is an effective way to temporarily knock out someone without physical contact!
iamkapilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 10:43   #19
BHPian

These real life tales really gives goose bums. Crime Rate in Bangalore in rising daily and making the city worse to live a normal peaceful life
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 10:58   #20
BHPian

I had personal experiences (and heard about many) where two wheeler guys with the help of some rowdy crowd demand and get money from four wheeler guys. But every time car and bike would have atleast brushed each other. Never heard of just 'accusing and demanding money' kind of happenings except for late night incidents.
By the way I also go by the same route on daily basis. But mostly by the company vehicle.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
However, as I slowed down at 17th Main to get into Kodihalli area, one bike over took me and started controlling my car speed by slowing down ahead of the car. The other bike was on the right side of the car leaving no room to maneuver. I was forced to stop the car then.
@ samurai: this is the situation i was talking about.

no matter what happens, keep ur car locked from inside at all times & please do not stop no matter what happens. even if that means knocking them down, knock them down & reach the nearest police station.

i agree police themselves are "uniformed muggers" but the situation still can be controlled there.

Last edited by naveendhyani : 30th November 2006 at 11:03.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:06   #22
Team-BHP Support

....also at night, hide your credit cards and excess money in and around the car
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:18   #23
BHPian

i've lived in Poona, Bombay, Hyderabad and Madras.

I visit Bangalore often thanx to friends from the RTMC, sometimes riding down. But hearing stories like this is freaky!!! and imagine, I have no clue of Bangalore roads.

damn! looks like its gonna take some graver incidents to take place before authorities take some serious action.

the only other option being big-wigs of all the companies to put pressure...otherwise what is the point. they might as well take all their investments and put it somewhere else.
the_trooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with you KPH!In fact, the incident in your post (Mugging attempt at Indiranagar 100ft Road), the victim is my colleague! His presence of mind saved the day for him. But quite many people were not that lucky, they stopped the car, came out, and then the muggers took over. All these incidents happenend in June - July '2006. And after a brief lull, it has resurfaced!We need to be careful, and adhere to these basic rules:1. Avoid driving late in the Night.If at all you need to drive late night:2. Ask someone to accompany you.3. Take roads which are well lit and there is some traffic movement.4. NEVER STOP when some Unknown person ask you to stop!

Last edited by finneyp : 30th November 2006 at 11:32.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is really a cause for concern. When I moved to bangalore from Delhi about 2 years back, I was pretty happy with the "low" crime rate compared to Delhi. But now I doubt that there is any difference. What coumponds the problem is that unlike Delhi, the policy here is bloody ineffective and incometent. Hence these hoodlums have no fear of the law.

I guess the only thing is NEVER to come out of your car no matter what. Also, like Finney said, stick to well lit and busy roads. These incidents usually happen on deserted roads.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think now the wordings of Mohammad Rafis song should go this way:

Aye dil hai mushkil jeena yahan
Zara hat ke zara bach ke, yeh hai Bengaluru meri jaan
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 13:28   #27
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
This is really a cause for concern. When I moved to bangalore from Delhi about 2 years back, I was pretty happy with the "low" crime rate compared to Delhi. But now I doubt that there is any difference. What coumponds the problem is that unlike Delhi, the policy here is bloody ineffective and incometent. Hence these hoodlums have no fear of the law.
Conversely, the law has a very high fear of the hoodlums. When I asked a security employee in Bangalore about why these hoodlums are not reined in, he replied that even the cops are mortally afraid of these characters, who will not hesitate to hit at even their families. It is like Mafia rule.

I agree that we should never stop our cars when alone on a deserted road. But if people block the road, I strongly advise against running them over. That is a sure way to get lynched by the mob or else get convicted in a court of law -- nobody will accept an argument that you ran people over because you feared the intentions of the mob. Unless you are in a really desperate situation with an armed mob attacking your vehicle, do not panic and run people over.

Last edited by rks : 30th November 2006 at 13:30.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 13:44   #28
BHPian

@ RKS : the desperate situation we talked here was of being boxed in by two motorbikes. i hope u agree with me that the best option at that time wud have been to run away even if it meant knocking them out of ur way.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 14:01   #29
BHPian

Please ensure that you get out of office at 5.00 pm, your sports/walk before 7 pm and all shopping by 8.00 pm

If you work late then shift to a better friendly workplace....

We now need to stay alive to see the better future. !!!
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 14:18   #30
Team-BHP Support

While mentioning about the crime situation in Bangalore, i must say presence of mind saved me from something which may have been of a similar nature.

Returning from ITPL on my Pulsar along with wifey, spotted two bikes in my rearview mirror... comin kinda slow at first and then picking up speed.. the Yamaha (unmistakable sound) sped ahead of me... cud feel the other bike catchin up... cud be a Bullet , but then again i cud be wrong.
Remember readin in the TOI about many 'incidents' in Bangalore...
Instinct takes the better of me, and without another thought I raced past the Yamaha, wifey remaining totally unaware of what was going on. Used all my riding experience to get out of there as fast as i could. It was only after getting home that i conveyed the same to my better half. She was shocked.

Thinking about it now..... i dunno if my hunch was rite, but i seriously dont wanna find out. As they say, "Prevention is better than cure".
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote