Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st November 2017, 15:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Take picture of illegally-parked car, earn 50 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Click pics of illegally parked cars, get rewarded: Nitin Gadkari
About this scheme.

The only "guess" I have about this scheme is, they will pay you only once the Govt. gets the challan amount. And we all know, how many challans are paid vs issued. There could be 1000 other conditions like links to Aadhar/PAN and what not.

Secondly, our infrastructure is not so developed that you can easily spot a no parking sign in the same frame as the parked car. GPS co-ordinates may nail the culprits but maintaining a database of ALL no parking zones ACROSS India, against which an uploaded photo can be validated, is a task in itself.

I was getting worried as it had been long since we last heard from the Transport Minister . He has a knack of making statements ..err.. headlines. And they often remains so.

Some examples -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-scrapped.html (RTO to be scrapped?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...wed-india.html (Transport Minister: Driverless cars won't be allowed in India)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...pressways.html (Soon, you will be able to hit 140 kmph on expressways)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3891483 (Scrapping of Cars)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ew-cars-8.html (Proposal: Private vehicles need not pay toll; instead, extra tax on new cars)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-mumbai-2.html (Rs.90,000 Crore for Underground Ring Road in Mumbai)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...a-gurgaon.html (Ropeway from Dhaula Kuan to Manesar (via Gurgaon)!)

Some of his other statements -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3651303 (5 lakh crore to develop Indian Highway network by 2019)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...dia-bogus.html (Gadkari says 30% of driving licences in India are bogus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
One step further, I'll get a drone to cover more area/cars. One more advantage is there is no location constraint. You can work anywhere in India and earn a good money. Let me stop all retirement savings plan.
OT: I think flying drones in most Indian cities is illegal. And anyway, you need to fly at a very low level to capture the number plate. They usually have around 15-20 mins of flight time. So Activa, as someone pointed out earlier, maybe a better bet.
Dry Ice is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 15:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
About this scheme.

OT: I think flying drones in most Indian cities is illegal. And anyway, you need to fly at a very low level to capture the number plate. They usually have around 15-20 mins of flight time. So Activa, as someone pointed out earlier, maybe a better bet.
OT:

Flying drones also comes with restrictions.

Quote:
Barring nano drones—those that weigh under 250 grams and can’t fly at higher than 50 feet—all others must be registered with the DGCA and acquire a Unique Identification Number. Drones that weigh over 2kgs will require an air defence clearance. And the remote pilot for any drone must be at least 18 years old and have gone through a prescribed training process.
https://qz.com/1118172/dgca-indias-a...flying-drones/

So if there are illegal drones flying, Activa can also be used to take pictures of those drones.
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 15:26   #18
BHPian

Time to buy Google glass if there is one still available for sale. This scheme of government is bound to fail like others, people will end up photoshopping images just to earn money.
mjumrani is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 15:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

If this becomes applicable for NICE Road in Bangalore, I will make millions.

I can click pictures of every vehicle driven on shoulder (which they always do) and upload to the system and say it was parked and not moving .

On serious note, they need to define "Illegal Parking" first.

I recall very well and posting it on some thread on how I was once asked to move my car by cops in Bangalore's New BEL road even when there was no "No Parking" sign anywhere on the whole road (2007-08 may be) and when I asked the cops, they asked me if I read newspapers and said if I do, there was a Gazette Notification passed making complete New BEL road a no parking zone.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st November 2017 at 15:56.
paragsachania is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 16:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Guys lets not worry about getting that 50rs. What I would be interested is if they would really take action when a picture of wrongly parked car has been reported.

If they do take action and fine the owner, that good enough for me.
Heck I find wrongly parked cars in my office parking as well
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 16:07   #21
BHPian

Another hollow fat announcement it seems.

I may be totally off from others way of thinking, but i am ready to send 10 photographs everyday free ( i dont want any money) of illegally parked vehicles, provided i am assured that action is taken against them.

To acheive any such thing the nexus between mafia and police has to be broken and that can only be done by some street actions and not announcements.

However, i still do sincerely hope that this announcement leads to some action on ground.

Any positive step towards a better society is welcome.

Last edited by nkghai : 21st November 2017 at 16:09. Reason: typo
nkghai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 16:21   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

A lot of members seem to think that this measure would be on paper. True.
However, I've seen the amount of change a few cameras installed at traffic signals in Ahmedabad can bring. Till a year back, no one stopped at any traffic light in Ahmedabad. Every area had this issue. Even where the police was present, they only acted when there was VIP movement. It was like a village except with high powered cars instead of push carts and rickshaws.

This year, many cameras were installed. The result is amazing. The Challans get sent to your home with the picture of your number plate, and the offence fine will increase unless you repay your old dues. The road behavior has changed drastically in areas where the cameras are present. People just look at the camera and stop before the Zebra. Never thought that this could happen in Ahmedabad, but it did. I heard that these days the traffic police are installing fake cameras in some locations as well. That works as well

Moral of the story: fear works as a deterrent. If even 10 people get fined in a city in a day, and 10 others receive their Rs. 50, people would be careful to avoid no parking zones. At least in Gujarat, people will obey the law as long as there is a monetary penalty against breaking it. I don't think this would work in the north Indian states, since aggression is so common in Haryana, Bihar, UP and people would feel scared of taking a pic. You might get beaten up by the goons in the car.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 16:25   #23
BHPian

The Pune Police uses the twitter handle @PuneCityPolice and a whatsapp number 8411800100 to receive traffic grievances.

I have seen them responding back on twitter with an image of the Challan sometimes, though most of the times they respond back that they have taken action against the traffic violators and the same is undersigned by the on duty traffic inspector as well.

But I have to admit that these are mere stop gap measures.
sindabad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 16:52   #24

As mentioned by paragsachania they need to define "Illegal Parking".

What if the vehicle is parked for only a few minutes?

Ex: Say the driver/owner has parked the vehicle in front of a gate by taking permission of the caretaker/watchman or concerned person. The person uploading the picture may not be aware of this. He will just see that the vehicle is parked in front of the gate and may just upload the picture and wait for his 50 bucks. There maybe many other such situations.

As for me Illegal Parking is only if the parked vehicle is blocking the road/causing traffic jamor causing any kind of inconvenience on the road.
For ex. vehicle parked on the corner of a turn completely blocking the view of oncoming vehicles from opposite side or increasing the turning radius.

This should first be implemented for Commercial Vehicles. In my area I see many trucks being parked on the roads causing more traffic jams/inconvenience than passenger cars.

For this system to be successful it has to be fully transparent and an opportunity of being heard should be given.
statix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 17:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
One step further, I'll get a drone to cover more area/cars. One more advantage is there is no location constraint. You can work anywhere in India and earn a good money. Let me stop all retirement savings plan.
Drone flying in India is a crime, you will get fined, drone confiscated and police guys coming over to your house for an arrest

This is called 'Lene ke dene pad jayenge'
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 20:15   #26
BHPian

Government definitely need to bring Aadhar Card linking to this. Which one way is good and bad as well. Good as in it will bring trace ability for the vehicles. Bad as in one more thing got linked to Aadhar, but when your phone numbers are already being linked then cars may not be that much loss for personal privacy. Government can ask to link phone numbers as well to car numbers to avoid controversy further. Anyways Government needs trace ability for effective implementation.

Being a big country and fellow citizens are mostly lawless people, I do not mind this linkage to curb this lawlessness. It depends on Governments Intention a lot. Gadkari, I used to appreciate him for close to technical talk and problem understanding. But over the period I found his talks are mere remained to talks, never materializes anything. Let us see what happens in this case. Anyways new motor vehicle act was supposed to come in December 2015. It is yet to come.

One year back I suggested this approach of finding offenders on PMO website. May be PMO informed Gadkari about this after that. May Be. This is generic idea which can come in any mind for current situation in India. Lets hope it comes to reality soon with good intentions.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 20:37   #27
BHPian

Parking issues aren’t a new phenomenon in our country!! If the Govt have failed to provide any proper dedicated parking spaces why blame the common man for illegal parking? There are certain people who does it on purpose without sense but then what about others? Does our system offers good parking standards before fining the citizens?
Johnnny is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 20:52   #28

The issue is very complex. In the absence of adequate parking spaces, where does one park? One dept of Govt that must provide adequate parking, install parking signs, ensure that commercial complexes donít fleece vehicle owners by levying high rates etc., doesnít do itís duty and doesnít create such infrastructure - in fact most government offices donít have parking facilities and that same government comes with such anti people methods.

Leave alone implementation, the idea itself is bad. In Hyderabad the number of over bridges or underpasses for people to cross roads are less than 10 and I think the situation is the same in almost all cities. People scamper to cross roads putting their lives at risk. Similarly public transport is so bad weíre compelled to fend for ourselves. We all know our vehicles are not assets. We need these infrastructure very badly. Instead of focusing on these issues that matter to the people the minister in making such announcements is inappropriate in my opinion. Car owners are apparently soft targets. Just my thoughts.
svsudhir is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 21:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I was getting worried as it had been long since we last heard from the Transport Minister . He has a knack of making statements ..err.. headlines. And they often remains so.

Some examples -
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Another hollow fat announcement it seems.
I fully agree with you. His statements always remain as a headline and nothing happens beyond it. Same goes for this statement too "Take Picture of Illegally Parked Car, Earn Rs. 50". It sounds like a casual statement ,made on the fly with no thought process behind it and a few journalists took it seriously and published it. Or may be they were asked to publish to show his presence.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 22:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Government definitely need to bring Aadhar Card linking to this. Which one way is good and bad as well. Good as in it will bring trace ability for the vehicles. Bad as in one more thing got linked to Aadhar, but when your phone numbers are already being linked then cars may not be that much loss for personal privacy. Government can ask to link phone numbers as well to car numbers to avoid controversy further. Anyways Government needs trace ability for effective implementation.
Please - no more aadhar nonsense. There are enough ways to track parking without resorting to 24x7 big brother behaviour.

Besides - its not as if Aadhar has not been cloned/frauded.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote