Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st December 2017, 18:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Cars don't drive by themselves (at least not yet in India). So I typically judge a driver by how he is driving instead of what car he is driving.
I just laugh when someone honks me from behind to overtake from the left side, but why is it always an Omni or Alto. Then there are the frustrated drivers of Tata Indica or ACE when I deliberately slow down to make way for other vehicles at crossroads.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 19:24   #32
BHPian

I am wary of drivers of Alto's, Eon's, Nano's. I warn folks I know to give these guys a wide berth whenever you spot them either on the highway or in the city. I have found them to be safety hazards more often than not.

I have thought through this and have assumed the following reasons for their behaviour pattern:

This would be their First car - this either makes them (a) inexperienced with its accompanying safety hazards to other drivers or (b) desperate to beat every other car on the road bigger than their car to prove themselves to those drivers.

Sometimes you are cruising effortlessly at 120 kmph and this Eon comes along with engines and everything else redlined and overtakes you - what do you do? Ans: Just let him go and think he's won the race.

I would also avoid parking next to one, if possible as their driving skill while getting out of their parking slot would be suspect.

I am generalising here, but the next time you see an Alto, Eon, Nano observe them carefully and see how many times you come across some of the above mentioned situations.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 20:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Staying in a real estate boom area in north Bangalore, I avoid new Fortuners and Innova Crystas like the plague. They are more likely than not to be driven by louts. Scorpio is now driven by micro-louts.

Another interesting point is to be wary of the Ciaz. In my experience, the Ciaz allows for a tried and tested 'more metal for your money' vehicle which is preferred by many first time land sellers or their family, and are very keen to take offence at anyone who does not fit into their image of 'localites'. I just ignore them which gets their goat faster :-)

Altos and Eons I generally stay away from from long habit. Plus any car which hasn't bothered to remove the L sign. Am staggered that so many educated Indians simply dilute the value of the same by driving around years after they get their license!

'Elegant' cars which I am partial to are the Jetta, old Passat, old Superb facelift and the CLS Mercs. Trend is towards low slung long sedans. :-)

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2017 at 09:42. Reason: Typo
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 22:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Are we racists against cars? Since the next step after self realization is rectification, I have vowed to make a conscious effort not be judgmental about the drivers based on their choice of cars...
Racists against cars - absolutely not. Any car is a lovely piece of engineering

I have a severely racist attitude against certain categories of drivers:
- drivers of commercial LMVs, especially aggregators' cabs like Uber & Ola, and
- 3-wheelers of all kinds, whether electric or IC engine powered. Also
- rattletrap jalopies, whose owners give owners of highly maintained cars a bad name.

One more category of drivers that I hate, is the Indian tourist driver driving in a foreign land. Their tendency to drive as ruthlessly and without following rules as they do in India, leaves me very angry. I've almost been run over once by an Indian who reversed unexpectedly at a pedestrian crossing. The other time, a sports car cut across my car, crossed 4 lanes of traffic, and pulled into a petrol pump - and turned out to be an easily identifiable Indian.

My respect (and unquestioning giving of space) is reserved for certain vehicles and their drivers:
- emergency and police vehicles (and of course, in India, VIP motorcades);
- heavy vehicle drivers, especially city buses and trailer rigs;
- a car that is much faster than one I am driving, especially if he is breaking speed limits and driving rashly, endangering other road users (I like staying alive, but there's no respect here - just pure disdain).
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:11   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the overwhelming response to this thread, frankly speaking I had not thought that people would reply. I had thought that it would be ignored as a whim of a madman I am not quoting each individual post and replying, but I have gone through all of them to get an idea and thanked each of them for taking the time out for posting. Wagon R and Alto drivers are the most hated ones on road, Fortuner with tinted glass drivers are the most feared ones, along with the bus drivers A few guys have mentioned that they are partial towards cars of their own makes and models, but they are quite few compared to the other responses.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd December 2017 at 17:13.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

Interesting the way the poll is going. I was thinking that the NO would walk away with the honours on our forum. Just around a 100 have voted.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 3rd December 2017 at 17:30.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 19:11   #37
BHPian

I am partial towards cars of the same make as mine, or any other I currently have in my garage.

Plus, I am partial towards lady drivers. I maybe shamed, but I tend to generally ignore the often weird manoeuvres ladies do whilst driving.

Other than these two, every one else feels like an obstacle on road. :P
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 19:35   #38
BANNED

Haha for sure.
I'd give a separate viewpoint.
When I'm driving my polo with Bi-xenons, almost every person will give side for me to overtake or lower their high beam if they're on the other side.
This does not happen if I'm in a car with halogens.
Mucho street cred this way. I'm sure many might be doing the same when they see a mad flash of lightning in their mirrors and give side.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 20:35   #39
BHPian

Rather than the model, I usually judge by how well car has been maintained, type of mods too point to the driver's mentality.

Extremely dark tint, some stickers always point that driver is out to boost his ego, looking for trouble to show his arrogance.

On two wheeler, Dio guys skidding their front wheels just boil my blood, lowest form on humans on road. Then Bullets with horrible exhaust revving for no reason! they even try to race modern machines Bullet with stock exhaust or good one gets my respect.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 19:55   #40
BHPian

Am not partial towards any particular car brand. Am a bit partial the way and by whom its been driven. For example if you tailgate me with your Bolero, i do not feel uncomfortable but when a call center guy driving a Bolero starts tailgating me, either i accelerate fast or give that guy some space to go ahead.

Few observation's from my side where i go a bit partial-

Most of the Yellow plate cars specially the call center sumo's and Indica's. Though few luxury yellow plate cars are driven very nicely but they are hardly 5%.

Few cars driven with loud music, whacky and loud sticker works. I stay away from them.

A car been driven with both the ORVM's folded.

Tailgating me at night with the high beam on.

Three wheelers. Starting from E- Riskshaws till auto i avoid them all.

Buses of few particular routes are specially driven very rashly.

College kids out for a joyride or joydrive.

The way the pizza delivery boys ride

I should not mention a particular brand but my observation is nearly 90% of the KTM guys ride very fast and cut through the traffic. No offence to any KTM owners.

Last edited by Samba : 4th December 2017 at 20:08.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 11:48   #41
BHPian

Well, I'm partial to sanely driven cars. I always yield to folks who put on their indicators before turning. Other car/vehicle drivers for which I have soft-spot include: Ambulances, Police vehicles, Public bus drivers, Ladies etc.

However, I'm most partial (in a good way) towards drivers whose vehicle sports T-BHP stickers I can't explain why and frankly I'm surprised that it hasn't come up so far in this thread

Last edited by srvm : 5th December 2017 at 11:50.
srvm is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 12:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Time to start admitting something which runs in my mind many a times when I am on the road, I am utterly embarrassed by how my mind thinks how it thinks but finally I am letting it come out.

1) Whenever a N/A petrol car on the highway tries to have a friendly tiff my head just says 'haa, no turbo, no torque, what are you playing with boy'? Even if this petrol car is a Civic or a Petrol Corolla, I somehow can't seem to think about them with that much enthusiasm.

2) Whenever I see a Swift Diesel driven enthusiastically on the highway, I am always smiling from inside imagining how much fun this guy is having, sometimes I unconsciously follow him if he is on my way just to watch the car and driver have fun

There are many more but I can't seem to remember at this point as some reactions and feels happen when they happen at the moment
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 12:30   #43
BHPian

My lists and reactions:

1. Negative list:-
a. Unauthorized vehicles having red beacon / emergency siren - I never let them pass.
b. Horn aficionados - do
c. Riders with earphones in ear - some expletives or hand gestures or both as per my mood.
d. Immortals without a helmet- I pity their families, and prey for their soul in advance.
e. High beam lovers- I got the beams too (130/100W with relay and ceramic holders).
f. Irresponsible Auto wallahs - very obscene hand gestures.

2. Positive list:-
a. Hearse:- Will pullover if needed.
b. Ambulance:- Do
c. Emergency vehicles:- Do
d. Elderly / differently abled / lady drivers :- no honking
e. Team BHP members:- Just overtake them once to showoff my stickers.
f. Cars costing north of 50 lakh: you go first because I cant afford to pay repair bills more than my monthly pay.
g. Expedition ready Xenon / Fortuner / D-Max : Dreams demand respect.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th December 2017 at 20:49. Reason: Edited.
Ry_der is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 19:04   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
However, I'm most partial (in a good way) towards drivers whose vehicle sports T-BHP stickers I can't explain why and frankly I'm surprised that it hasn't come up so far in this thread
Good point and even I am surprised why this has not come up earlier. In my case, nowadays I have stopped being partial as most of the cars run around with either fake stickers or the person is not a team-bhp member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
My lists and reactions:

1. Negative list:-
a. Unauthorized vehicles having red beacon/ emergency siren - I never let them pass.
How does one identify if it is an unauthorized vehicle?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th December 2017 at 19:05.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 23:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
How does one identify if it is an unauthorized vehicle?
Well, First of all, all government owned vehicles have an exclusive alphabetical series e.g. in Ahmedabad its GJ01 GX XXXX.

Moreover, all hired vehicle of government display 'ON DUTY GOVT OF INDIA/GUJARAT' and generally have commercial plates.

Lastly, AFAIK no private vehicle is allowed to use red beacon as per latest supreme court guidelines.

Cheers!!
Ry_der is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote