Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th December 2017, 11:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Are you partial to drivers of some cars?

Good thread !

I did have my prejudices. Notable among them was my utter hate for vehicles with red beacons or VIP vehicles with their motorcade that come storming through our roads with horns and lights blazing.

Many a times, when I encountered such vehicles/motorcades approaching from behind me, I used to "ignorantly" keep blocking their way till they get really frustrated and then I would slowly give them way. In a Storme, it was easy to do this given the size of the vehicle. There was a particular instance where I refused to give way to a pilot vehicle which kept honking continuously. Then, a cop who was standing on the footboard of the vehicle came running towards my vehicle and requested me to move away ( traffic was going slow - so it was easy for him to run and catch up with me ). After that, I moved away.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 14:01   #47
BHPian

1. I avoid all Dio riders as for some inexplicable reason, I have them to very rash in their riding.
  2. I find a lot of Honda drivers to be very conservative in their driving and will often hog the right most lane at low speeds
  3. I find 1st gen swift drivers to be often very aggressive. It may be that the cars are now pre-owned and bought by wanna-be road thrashers courtesy the car reputation
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 09:34   #48
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am not really partial to some particular brand/model but spotting of an Abrath or Polo GTI (Rare) or Mustang or Jaguar XJ L kind of cars bring a smile on my face.

I am actually scared of unloaded Eicher 407, Government-owned old Sumos, State Transport buses, force cruisers, Eccos and auto rickshaws. In my opinion, drivers in Premium luxury cars, coming back after dropping his/her owner at the airport are the most dangerous drivers. I always try to keep myself away from them.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 09:58   #49
BHPian

HOT DAMN! I didn't know this thread existed. I have a lot to add here:

1. All Eeco cab drivers are trained on the Buddh International Circuit and must be either completely blocked from advancing or given clear way.
2. State Transport(ST) buses must be avoided at all cost. They drive in Mumbai like they would in Mumbra.
3. NEVER get stuck in traffic behind a car who's value is greater than 40 lacs AND is driven by a driver. The driver will drive as if diamonds are embedded in the bumpers and even a strong wind will blow them away.
4. I NEVER make way for a VIP convoy. I feel these are the people whose time is least important. The lesser they be on time & meet people, the lesser corruption would be India. I may just contribute 0.00000000000000000000001% reduction, but hell, I do what I can.
5. While I ALWAYS make way for Ambulances, I hate the people who tailgate it in hopes of moving forward faster. I try to slow them down too as much as possible.

This is just what comes immediately to mind, but reality is you find many many more types of such people.

Last edited by GTO : 7th February 2018 at 21:40. Reason: Abusive language
rohansachar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 14:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
HOT DAMN! I didn't know this thread existed. I have a lot to add here:

1. All Eeco cab drivers are trained on the Buddh International Circuit and must be either completely blocked from advancing or given clear way.
2. State Transport(ST) buses must be avoided at all cost. They drive in Mumbai like they would in Mumbra.
3. NEVER get stuck in traffic behind a car who's value is greater than 40 lacs AND is driven by a driver. The driver will drive as if diamonds are embedded in the bumpers and even a strong wind will blow them away.
4. I NEVER make way for a VIP convoy. I feel these are the people whose time is least important. The lesser they be on time & meet people, the lesser corruption would be India. I may just contribute 0.00000000000000000000001% reduction, but hell, I do what I can.
5. While I ALWAYS make way for Ambulances, I hate the people who tailgate it in hopes of moving forward faster. I try to slow them down too as much as possible.

This is just what comes immediately to mind, but reality is you find many many more types of such people.
Stuff you can do in a Tata Safari

But jokes aside, most of the taxi drivers are to be avoided - especially the EECO, Uber, and Ola guys! Some santro guys are cocky too, but most of them let others drive in peace.

As for Point 3 - they're either very rash, or very cautious. No where in the middle! If the car has a VIP number, better to let it go ahead!

And always give way to elderly drivers! Respect for those who still drive in their 70s!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 15:05   #51
BANNED

In Delhi NCR, there is an notorious image associated with certain vehicles:

1. A White colored Scorpio
2. A White colored Fortuner (or even Endeavour)
3. A small car with tinted windows (can be Santro/i10/WagonR etc.) with some religious symbol sticker on the rear windscreen (not trying to be specific but it can be related to any religion).
4. Any car with the Surname/Ethinic Group/ of the owner written at the back (This is more noticeable in Gurgaon/Noida/Ghaziabad than mainland Delhi).

I personally i am partial to these cars and try to keep a distance (Even the motive of such people is that the "stupid common man" keep distance from them and do not get into any argument, because the supposedly feel like "Owning the roads" and have a lot of money and ego without being much educated).

Last edited by DCEite : 9th February 2018 at 15:10.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 17:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of specific cars, I will mention about 'vehicle type'.

What am I wary of on Bangalore road?

A slow moving taxi - A slow moving taxi can be due to
  • Driver is sleepy.
  • Disoriented and tired after hours on road.
  • Drunk.
  • On phone.
  • Busy checking direction on Uber / Ola app.
  • Checking for headphone / charger to connect to phone.

Only thing dangerous than a slow moving taxi is a fast moving taxi.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 9th February 2018 at 18:18.
mpksuhas is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 19:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
A slow moving taxi
A slow moving Auto Rickshaw too. It could be due to all of the reasons mentioned plus can take a U-Turn suddenly. A warning could come sometimes half way through the U-Turn but only for a moment.

Another menace of the cabbies these days is that they will merge from roadside parking on to the road like a BMTC bus driver.

Last edited by Aniket6 : 9th February 2018 at 19:49.
Aniket6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 20:55   #54
BHPian

At risk of going off-topic, please allow me to say that I tend to be more relaxed when I spot cruiser motorcycles anywhere around me on the roads. They tend to be driven in a far more disciplined manner and are largely predictable.
Zippy Japanese motorcycles on the other hand, make for tense moments at the wheel.
This, i have observed to be true whether it be the US or India.
I feel quite some resentment whenever I see zippy Japanese sports bikes near me.
locusjag is offline   Reply With Quote