Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Has your driving style changed after observing mileage in realtime?
Yes, I am a more sedate driver with uniform speeds now 181 48.27%
No - I don't care 127 33.87%
Can't - My car/bike doesn't display mileage in real time 67 17.87%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd December 2017, 15:59   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?

Voted No
FE is probably the last thing I do check while I drive. I just drive the way I am comfortable and maintain the sane and safe speeds. Resulting FE has always been impressive in most of the cases any ways.
VKumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 16:45   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?

Its a distraction for me. I would rather watch the road than keep an eye out for constantly changing number on the console. Its a No for me.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 17:07   #33
BHPian

No.
When it was new to me, occassionally it was a sought of a game to see how much you can squeeze out of a tankful. But generally, I just donít care as it does not make a lot of a difference in the long run, unless of course one has an extremely aggressive driving style. For the same reason, I donít think twice about using the AC too.
cogWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 19:26   #34
BHPian

Its fairly obvious that once you are conscious of RTFE you adapt yourself, in the short term, to a driving style that gives you better FE. One feels like experimenting with different driving styles, to confirm or negate notions of achieving max FE. Whether it will help in changing driving style that one has been used to for years is open to question. ( Old habits die hard). Some may succeed and some may not.
Having said the above, is'nt it time to shake off this magnificent obsession of " kitna deti hai?" Yes, FE is a very important consideration but is it the only consideration? So, besides the FE factor let us also focus on "kaisa deti hai" and " kya kya deti hai." It is high time we change the narrative.
vkr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 21:37   #35
BHPian

Voted for NO!

last thing I want to see or have in mind is the FE, with experience one could know if they are pushing the limit or sipping less fuel.

I am one of very swift owners who change the display to RANGE or something more useful, FE does attract our attention way too much.
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:18   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
We know what to expect while looking at the console. A quick glance to check rpm or the speed might hardly take a fraction...
It's those fractions that can make all the difference in a tight spot.

May not happen often, but I'd rather not be distracted in any instance when my attention should be on the road.

YMMV, of course.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd December 2017 at 23:20.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 01:48   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Don't care.
I know my car is a single digit economy car.
I keep my display on the speed, rarely do I notice speed on the analog dials now.
Real long Fe thingy sounds to be a big distraction that can cause an incident.
But to each their own. Some think about saving that extra 20 rs on fuel, let em.
Meanwhile my polo gt tsi runs 290 km on a 45L tank.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

For me, the real-time FE indicator has been helpful to know how the TDCi works in the Fiesta. Basically, the validation of many theories we already know.

1) The same indicator will show consumption per hour when the engine is idling. The unit changes from KM/L to L/H. And the idle rpm takes a bit of time to settle down if the load is high - say high speed runs or a rather hot day when the compressor is working overtime. The optimum number is 0.1 L/H when the engine has properly settled down once the AC is switched off. So, a very helpful indicator to switch the engine off after some hard runs. And now, my ears are trained to understand when the engine hits 0.1 L/H M.

2) The indicator has helped to validate that coasting in gear is more efficient than coasting in neutral. The TDCi shows 99.9 KM/L which is the max when the car is in gear (be it any gear when the wheels are turning the engine). Coasting in neutral makes the engine idle and it sips fuel. Apart from the fact that it feels very odd and stressful.

3) Likewise, coming down a gear early helps not only your speed but save fuel too. For example: when you hit an elevation on the road, be it a gradual one too, doing 80 KMPH in 4th is more fuel efficient than being in 5th. Likewise for other gears, load and road conditions.

That said, my default is "Total Range" instead of the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator in the MID now since I know the car. I have never kept track of F.E. ever. But it was helpful to understand the power-train better.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:10   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted no. I just donít care. Fuel economy really isnít my thing.

Having said that I do look at it all the time. But that is more the engineer in me than anything else. Any problems with the engine might show up in the fuel economy before it materialises anywhere else. I always reset my average fuel when I fill up too, just to keep an eye on whether it changes a lot as that could indicate trouble ahead.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 10:25   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The real-time FE indicator is useless. For those drivers that love FE, I think a green 'ECO' light that comes up when driving efficiently will be a lot more useful. Now that'll really influence their driving style. Plus, you don't even need to take your eyes off the road - a prominent green light will be visible in your peripheral vision.

A few manufacturers already provide this green indicator, but it's more the exception than the rule.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 11:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Getting good FE is not complicated - Stay in the right gear with low RPMs (without lugging the engine), anticipate traffic patterns to minimize the use of brakes, accelerate smoothly and gradually and turn the engine off if you know you're waiting for long periods.

You don't need a gauge on the dashboard to tell you this - it becomes second nature after a while.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 12:00   #42
BHPian

RTFE is the last thing I look at!

The only way you can improve fuel efficiency in the city in my experience is
1) Avoiding rush hours
2) Clubbing multiple journeys together- diesel engines take time to reach operating temperatures. Once operating temperatures are achieved, fuel efficiency is drastically improved!
3) Looking ahead and driving!

In the highway
1) Look ahead and drive
2) Instead of braking late, let the car coast in gear when you know you have to brake in advance.
3) Avoid rush hours

RTFE forces you to drive slow. It's boring and robs any fun with driving. With my experiences with the above mentioned points, driving is far more enjoyable!

I assure you that the above six points can achieve fuel efficiency within 10% of what is achieved by being glued to the RTFE.
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 12:07   #43
Senior - BHPian

My car does not come equipped with Real Time fuel Efficiency display.

However, as a personal practice, I never exceed 2K rpm in city and 3K rpm on highways.
Adhering to above results in 12Kmpl and 14Kmpl respectively in my polo 1.2 Mpi.
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 12:10   #44
BHPian

Buying the Polo & Passat in 2012 has taught me to monitor the RTFE regularly.

For sure, my driving style has become more sedate and that FE is definitely on my mind when I drive, specially long distances in my Passat.

Have managed to get a FE of 21.5 km/l when driving from Pune to Mumbai & not exceeding 80 km/hr. If I increase speed to 90/100, I average 18 km/hr. Going up to 110 gives me an average 16 km/hr.
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 12:23   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I'm a sedate driver, so I don't keep glancing at the MID. The traffic dictates what I have to do. After the M800 (which was the first car I owned) I'm driving a fuel efficient (Honda City CVT) car after a gap of almost 18 years: when I owned the Hyundai's Accent and Elantra petrol's: both weren't fuel efficient.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote