Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Has your driving style changed after observing mileage in realtime?
Yes, I am a more sedate driver with uniform speeds now 181 48.27%
No - I don't care 127 33.87%
Can't - My car/bike doesn't display mileage in real time 67 17.87%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th December 2017, 13:20   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?

I voted for the "Sedate driver" option, but my driving style has predominantly be like that - not driven by FE.

I drive a Vento TDI. Though an RTFE is available in the MID, I have never bothered to see what it displays, except on couple of occasions when my sons were asking what it does.

The FE of my car is always in the range of 17 to 19, as measured by the APP "Drivvo". (I have selected only the past 10,000 KMS in the chart)
Attached Thumbnails
Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?-20171204_130504.png  

Srikanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 13:20   #47

Default Re: Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?

I bought my Vento TDI 1.6 in 2014 and what sold me was the awesome performance of the car. However, during the breaking-in period of ownership, I used to drive very sedately, rarely crossing 70 Kmph and I was getting great FE in the range of 20-25 Kmpl! That got me hooked and for the first year of ownership, it sort of became a game where I was competing with myself to get the best mileage possible.

The best that I've ever achieved is 32 Kmpl while driving from Pune to Mumbai. I had the AC off (much to the dismay of the Mrs) and never exceeded 80 Kmph. It was an achievement of sorts! And all that while obeying the law and speed limits.

But eventually I got bored of the FE game and now I drive without worrying about it. I still rarely exceed speed limits and get an average 18 Kmpl which is a good number in my book. As smartcat has pointed out, it doesn't make much sense in the large scheme of things and the cost savings are not really worth it.

I rarely floor the throttle but whenever I do, I'm reminded why I bought this car in the first place and chuckle to myself. FE be damned.
razer2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 13:45   #48
BHPian

After nearly 18 years of driving in Mumbai, the traffic is more or less the same. Or should I say our knees have never ever got this much exercise!! Began with a M800, then the horrendous Getz in which squeezing even 10kpl with sedate driving was an exercise and finally switching over to the diesel Toyota Liva, it's been quite the journey. I've experience RTFE in my brothers City, but more or less the biggest learning has been in learning how to drive aaramse. Conditions have just got more maddening(now thanks to the Metro & more folks having vehicles) so I've simply been practising the art of smooth shifting, accelerating & sometimes giving the turbo a kick when I find an open road. That being relegated just to the nights & early mornings. Doing more than 60 is a dream in the day. And I've been getting a consistent 14 KPL in the city, 18 ish with mixed highway & city and 22-23 pure highway driving. Keep tyres well aligned, pressures in check & that's pretty much it. If not, switch to better rubber. I'm quite looking forward to moving over to the XM2s.

But otherwise, RTFE or the lack of it is just for kicks. Full tank to full tank still is most accurate. I remember my Karizma ZMR days. The RTFE on it was just bonkers. Sometimes showing some crazy numbers!! But if there are a few systems which are accurate, then why not. Otherwise, just fill it, shut it, drive aaramse & forget it. 😉
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 13:45   #49
BANNED

I am sorry I cannot vote because I am underage(16), but yes I do agree with the fact that driving style influences FE. My dad is a very calm and sedate driver. Seldom he goes beyond 100kmph mark. As a result of this, our Ciaz displays an average FE of 21.1(current reading). And mind you, he also never switches off the idle start/stop function.

Last edited by Simat : 4th December 2017 at 13:51.
Simat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 13:45   #50
BHPian

Voted For yes.
I own a Figo 1.5 Diesel Titanium.
The RTFE does make sure that atleast sometimes, i keep a light foot on my highway trips.
Its fun to see how high a number i can achieve with the lightest foot and highest speed.
I found it to be a nice time pass thing to be engaged in while on long highway trips.

Last edited by jayakumarkp : 4th December 2017 at 13:48.
jayakumarkp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 14:14   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for Yes, not because of real time display but by choice. I drive sedately these days because:
1. It lets me enjoy the drive.
2. Get to see nice cars on road zip past me. Faster I drive, lesser the chances.
3. Keep my heart late low and is also less stressful.
4. I get time to talk to my family and friends who are part of the journey.
I consider bump in FE as an added bonus. That said it depends on situation-If there is necessity to reach faster, If some thug bullies on the road or sometimes just to open up the engine.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 14:53   #52

Voted No, For me the linear acceleration till 4500 rpm gives me some sort of a rush. Having said, there are other ways I try to maintain the FE of the car. I religiously top-up the air in the tires, go for Fully Synthetic oil only and for every 8 - 10K Kms I add fuel injector to a tank full. I find the RTFE a distraction of sorts.
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 15:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Voted : I Don't care. Since I have a Baleno, I had monitored its FE initially and it has been good. Plus I feel one should be driving at the speed which you are used to driving naturally, any change in that may not be good with your rhythm.

Hence I avoid driving slower than my Natural driving speed.
As an eg: Mumbai - Pune expressway, I usually drive in 100-110kph band which is a comfortable speed for me.

If I try and drive around 80, it becomes so easy that I can lose my concentration.
I use RPM meter more than RTFE.

Last edited by silverado : 4th December 2017 at 15:05.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 15:17   #54
BHPian

Voted for the sedate style of driving!Looking at the RTFE does make me change my driving style. My driving style normally depends on the road, time of day, fatigue, mood etc. My Octavia delivers phenomenal FE when driven around 2000-2100 rpm mark. I have got around 26 kmpl on the Pune-Mumbai expressway!But this normally happens on a weekday with a very early start, so there isn't a lot of traffic and the speed not going over 85-90 kmph. It is a fun game to play when driving, try to modulate your drive to get the max possible FE

Even on other highways, I do get around 17-19 when I drive at around 90 kmph @2000 rpm. One very important aspect when it comes to FE has to be braking! The more you anticipate when you need to brake and lift your foot off the accelerator accordingly, the more FE you will get. Driving a diesel with a nice flywheel setup helps!

On some days if I am in the mood for spirited drives, I just let it rip! Even after 9.5 years, the car is a gem to drive!On such instances I manage around 14-15 kmpl. City drives result in around 11-13 kmpl, depending on traffic.But I have realized that a sedate style will let you enjoy the drive more. It is also safer and very less stressful, which is an added advantage!
AdiSolEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 15:54   #55
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Availability of performance information at the disposal has certainly helped in improving the cause. Its a win-win for both owner as well as the manufacturer because an informed driver is cautious driver - It applies to me and both my present cars give me 19+ km to a litre in city condition.

I am quite satisfied with my driving style and I know that over speeding within city does not make any difference while commuting from point A to point B; most of the cases it has been well within 5 minutes when colleagues are traveling to same direction for meetings with client from office.

Information is bliss !
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 16:04   #56

Voted no.

I used to drive a CNG Santro during my engineering days for more than 5 years. Later, my parents upgraded to a diesel Dzire, with which I had a lot of memorable moments as well.

However, being a complete car buff bordering on the line of craziness, the thought of buying a nice sporty car with my own money that warranted no guilt of blowing my parents' moolah right after I finished my masters had perennially loomed over my head.

A couple of months after finishing my studies, I bought a GT TSi. After so many years of fantasizing, constantly debating internally over how to splurge and having spent it on a car, fuel efficiency was and will be the last thing on my mind.

I can't even think of a day well initiated in the absence of leaving early for work only to revv and redline away to glory!
Attached Thumbnails
Does the Real-Time Fuel Economy indicator change your driving style?-fe_gt.png  

GTp0wer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 16:08   #57

My car does not show instant FE. I tank up once in 2 weeks and do a calculation of FE then. The only time I felt the need for Instant FE is when I am low on fuel and stuck in a jam.
Also with the current traffic situation is most big cities there is very little one can do to alter the FE, unless one is hell bent to be aggressive.
aniyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 16:30   #58
BHPian

I was a fan of the real time mileage indicator (RTMI) initially when the car was new but after an year or so my brain got accustomed to the driving pattern and RTFE numbers displayed that I stopped caring. I have reached that point when I can tell what exactly has been the fuel efficiency of my last trip without looking at the display. E.g. I take a trip to office, and I have stopped at all signals, FE is 13.1-13.5 kmpl, If I leave office late night with no signals, FE is 14.7-15 kmpl. If you see the RTFE numbers over greater distances (say 2000 kms ) it tends to normalize to a value which is actually a car's real mileage.

I my opinion, having an RTFE is a good thing, but a person who understands his car very well will not feel the need of it, unless something is wrong with the engine and the mileage drops noticeably to feel there is something wrong under the hood.

So my answer is No, it doesn't change my driving style as such. But RTFE is a must have thing in cars from a diagnostic perspective.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 17:05   #59

I check the FE on tankful to tankful basis. Real time FE pulls out the power plug. According to me looking at real time FE changes the mood. I don't want that. So I voted NO.
pranavGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 18:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Yes!

Unless I've set out on a fast spirited drive, most of my driving is now with the Avg. FE on the MID (compared to avg. speed / other options).
I take pride in getting a better FE on my regular commute, and have realised how to drive more smoothly and patiently as compared to earlier when I was too busy enjoying the power on tap.

Now, every once in a while, I still take the car out and do some silly speeds - but 90% of the kms racked up are a lot more consciously driven.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote