Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 18:50   #76
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Coping with Indian Traffic
Yes we all have very stressful daily city drives, itís all part of the great Indian driving experience. So I just thought of compiling a little list on how to counter the stress of these daily drives.
.........
@mdsaab, Am stumbled. wow. what a decent and effective way of tackling the situations which I really want to adopt at times. But being a common man cant keep all these habits handy or atleast can't resist to make a continuous honk once some one cuts the lane in front and that's the free choice I exercise

It seems we all need to learn how to tackle the road rage especially in city. But unfortunately most of these scenes are contributed by civilized groups of the society those who knows what they does as they are least bothered about others safety and happiness.

I think the Govt. has to take some initiative to give some counseling on frustration and aggression during driving. There's no one gets such kind of training when applying a driving license. Even many of them doesn't know when to use high beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
I propose the 'Sticker' campaign with other programs.

Apart from pressurising us to be traffic-obeying, the slogan on sticker will spread the message to the other drivers too.
Did the Sticker program materialised?
Sunney, there's an interesting thread on how you changed your behavior once started carrying the TBHP stickers on our rides. I guess you are referring to these kind of effects once every one carries a motivating words as stickers.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 19:12   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 178
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Dear Sajjt,
Can you pls link that thread?
I am interested to find those experiences.
I am experienced on slogans as Stickers will make it's own impact.
Sunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 09:24   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
@mdsaab, Am stumbled. wow. what a decent and effective way of tackling the situations which I really want to adopt at times. But being a common man cant keep all these habits handy or atleast can't resist to make a continuous honk once some one cuts the lane in front and that's the free choice I exercise

It seems we all need to learn how to tackle the road rage especially in city. But unfortunately most of these scenes are contributed by civilized groups of the society those who knows what they does as they are least bothered about others safety and happiness.

I think the Govt. has to take some initiative to give some counseling on frustration and aggression during driving. There's no one gets such kind of training when applying a driving license. Even many of them doesn't know when to use high beam
Thank you for your kind words, Yes these are tough to implement at first. But you begin with a conscious effort and then watch it turn into a natural instinct. Give it a try.

the thread you mentioned is it?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...driving-4.html (Team-BHP Stickers and their effect on your driving!)
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 10:33   #79
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Thank you for your kind words, Yes these are tough to implement at first. But you begin with a conscious effort and then watch it turn into a natural instinct. Give it a try.

the thread you mentioned is it?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...driving-4.html (Team-BHP Stickers and their effect on your driving!)
Yes you are right, its hard to impliment once you practiced something different but its not as tough as like using the clutch pedal while braking. I am still trying to come out of that dirty habit. But long back I have succeeded in driving in low beam almost all the time except on high ways where there's no traffic at all. Now I can say am a 99% low beam addict, I just flick the pass if some one is on high beam in the opposite direction. But sadly very rarely I gets a positive gesture from the opposite side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Dear Sajjt,
Can you pls link that thread?
I am interested to find those experiences.
I am experienced on slogans as Stickers will make it's own impact.
Sunney sir, I hope you must've found the answer by now. Thanks to mdsaab for giving the link.

BTW, sorry for the late reply, you could've use the quotes so that I might have seen it before.

OT: Hope we can meet in person on today's meet.

Last edited by sajjt : 18th May 2011 at 10:38.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 12:02   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 58 Times
Default I want stricter Driving Licence laws!

Hi,

I have been driving for the past 10-15 years in and around Chennai. It was such a good pleasure to drive those days than now, where every bit of space is choked with either a lorry,car,bus,cycle.

And to top it all, the careless and callous attitude of drivers - which brings up the topic itself. How can we - a a group of like minded people make a difference to driving and ensuring that laws do have teeth to bite in when necessary. Please do note that this thread should not be confused with safe driving habits or anything (like the similar thread on the forum), but this thread should be a start or a platform where we can collate best in brains, logic and practical application and form a comprehensive DL law applicable across India.

Mods: I don't know if I have done the right thing by creating this mesasge. This was in my heart for a long time, and I was unsure of where to post the same. Please move/edit the post if deemed necessary.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 12:20   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,607
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default re: I want stricter Driving Licence laws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
How can we - a a group of like minded people make a difference to driving and ensuring that laws do have teeth to bite in when necessary. Please do note that this thread should not be confused with safe driving habits or anything (like the similar thread on the forum), but this thread should be a start or a platform where we can collate best in brains, logic and practical application and form a comprehensive DL law applicable across India
trumpet; there is a similar thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...awareness.html (Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?)

Perhaps the mods may want to merge these?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 13:00   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Hi,
Some of the things which could work are :
1. Stop line sensors (buried in the road). They will detect if a car or a bike is correctly before the stop line.
2. High Mount Cameras - RED cameras (I think this is underway in chennai - saw the news in TOI sometime back)
3. If there's a violation, the camera detects the errant vehicle, zeros in on the license plate, and tags his license accordingly. This should happen automatically - thus freeing our cops who run around with challans. And when the number of these mistakes goes beyond an acceptable number, the licensee is first warned, then his license is compounded.
4. To ensure that there's adequate lighting on all streets, thus reducing the need for ppl to install high bright lights
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 15:31   #83
Zed
BHPian
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 456
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
Hi,
Some of the things which could work are :
1. Stop line sensors (buried in the road).
2. High Mount Cameras - RED cameras (I think this is underway in chennai - saw the news in TOI sometime back)
3. If there's a violation, the camera detects the errant vehicle, zeros in on the license plate, and tags his license accordingly.
4. To ensure that there's adequate lighting on all streets, thus reducing the need for ppl to install high bright lights
Came across this thread when searching the site for threads related to traffic management. I completely agree with your view that forums such as ours can be agents of awareness creation which may or may not lead to the change we are hoping to see. Creating awareness has got to be the first step. Not awareness on how to solve issue related to traffic management and driving practises in India but awareness that the problem exists and that it MUST be tackled on priority. To spread the message that traffic mis-managament and bad driving are both epidemics that kills and maims thousands annually. Im sure almost everyone in this forum has lost or had loved ones injured in road accidents or knows someone who has. If our authorities can take up the cause of AIDS, Cancer, TB and other such killers - it is certainly within the bounds of possibility to do the same with road traffic accidents.

Im certain that most of our 65K+ members agree that the situation is dire and related systems need to be overhauled. Moderators & fellow bhp-ians - could we not try and build some consensus on a medium \ long-term action plan, even if its just on paper ? Considering the number of industry professionals, folks from the administration and civil services, members with political affiliations and road users in general this is indeed an empowered forum to be discussing the issue and potentially frame a broad strategy for improvement in a 5 - 10 yr time frame.
The results could be presented \ shared with related NGOs, state\central administrative agencies.
Its my humble opinion that it will take a lot of passion and pressure to bring about a change since this is a social issue that has little bearing on industry, administration or politics directly. At least not for now.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 23:20   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Being a teambhpian when ever I hear the siren of the ambulance I clear may way. But it is so sad that some people are taking advantages of the ambulance and follow bumper to bumper. Some one is struggling for life inside and some one is being opportunist in that. Let us the members of Team BHP be more responsible and not to take such an advantage.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 00:51   #85
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Some of the techniques I think would serve at least a 10% solution if implemented properly.....

1.) Urge the major FM Radio Stations (which effectively reach the motorist while driving) to start regular, innovative and rewarding adcampaigns regarding knowing, learning and implementing traffic rules and which emphasizes abiding by the rules to save lives. The traffic rule flouting "selfish" motorists should be made aware of hazards to their own safety and of their vehicle. A hip/cool/trend needs to be developed of obeying rules.

2.) Although the licensing system may be plagued by touts, and taking a driving test for each application would be a nightmare atleast an online/offline theory test should be mandatory for a learners/drivers permit. At the least atleast a handout should be given to new drivers the main motive being imparting knowledge.

3.)Stricter fines for repeated flouting rules is an internationally used measure although there is room for more corruption in the Indian scenario if not impemented as intended. But if my experience regarding enforcing parking violations in Mumbai are anything to go by, it shouldnt be a distant dream.
sankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:42   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Team-bhp members and traffic discipline

Wanted to rake up a topic that might be little controversial. I stay in bangalore and have seen many a team-bhp sticker carrying automobiles drive with zero respect to law. Just thought i will put this up and understand what everybody thinks of this.

My opinion is that rules are just a framework to drive and the actual discipline to follow rules should be enforced by self. There is no point in blaming traffic police or other drivers who break rules and then we do the same because everybody else is getting ahead in traffic breaking rules. I know that all of us cannot follow all the rules 100% of the time, but i think even if we do it for 60-70%, there would be a drastic reduction in the time we spend in traffic jams etc.

Mods: Could not find any thread related to this but feel free to merge in case there is a relevant one [There was one very specific to Bangalore traffic but i felt this was more generic across all the cities]
svdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 10:22   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 809 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

I don't know if it's just me, but of late I've been noticing a disturbing trend in town. Quite a few two wheelers and auto-rickshaws do not switch on indicators at all before turning. They just dart from and into side roads without any warning. Quite often there is a glare from such offenders as if to say 'why don't you watch where you're going'.
I've had a couple of close shaves with these darting, 'signal-less' menaces. The unfortunate part is that this is done quite often under the nose of a policeman who is just ignores these rule breakers.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 21:12   #88
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

@wilful: reporting from BLR to confirm similar observations here.

I never thought I'd be the person to use a power-horn, but it's quite effective in getting them to freeze in their misaligned tracks before it's too late. I decided to install the power horn after spending on body-dent work on two separate occasions.
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 22:08   #89
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 507
Thanked: 328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post
Wanted to rake up a topic that might be little controversial. I stay in bangalore and have seen many a team-bhp sticker carrying automobiles drive with zero respect to law. Just thought i will put this up and understand what everybody thinks of this. My opinion is that rules are just a framework to drive and the actual discipline to follow rules should be enforced by self. There is no point in blaming traffic police or other drivers who break rules and then we do the same because everybody else is getting ahead in traffic breaking rules. I know that all of us cannot follow all the rules 100% of the time, but i think even if we do it for 60-70%, there would be a drastic reduction in the time we spend in traffic jams etc. Mods: Could not find any thread related to this but feel free to merge in case there is a relevant one [There was one very specific to Bangalore traffic but i felt this was more generic across all the cities]
I agree with your point of Bhpians sporting stickers and driving/riding like maniacs! Every time my colleague sees stickers on my car or any car (with TBHP stickers) when we are out together, he keeps saying that these people drive like maniacs and absolute zero value for laws. Have to keep pointing out that, it's not the case wherein we do honor traffic law and there are quite a lot of people with fake sticker (as anyone can buy TBHP stickers).

I have taken him in my car and shown how we do drive without violating rules. Not that I am an expert driver! I do certain mistakes, but I try to follow rules as much as I can!

Coming to Indian driving skills, there is absolutely zero values for anyone's life; be it theirs own or other people on road. Unless the rules are very strict and no corruption, it will be quite challenging to put in any discipline.

Very basic, people see, hear the side effects of usage of mobile phones while driving, yet they cannot get over it.

Next, driving in all possible directions, just to save few drops of fuel.

Two wheelers, helmets are only to escape from cops.

To add to all these, the amazing infrastructure we have!
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 06:27   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 809 Times
Default Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
@wilful: reporting from BLR to confirm similar observations here.

I never thought I'd be the person to use a power-horn, but it's quite effective in getting them to freeze in their misaligned tracks before it's too late. I decided to install the power horn after spending on body-dent work on two separate occasions.
I wouldn't mind doing something similar, only I am a bit chary of any new fitments to my car. Ever since I switched from my 118 NE in 1995, I have not ventured into extra fittings.
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Team BHP members in Nagpur? We can meet for sure. anjan_c2007 The Team-BHP Meet Section 50 3rd February 2017 00:15
Something fast, Something naughty - The Volvo S60 T6 (304 BHP) kau_therock Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 97 26th December 2014 17:27
Funny "Traffic Awareness" Video from Gujarat : Must watch! PC77 Street Experiences 19 26th February 2013 15:35
Traffic awareness program in Hyderabad anumod Street Experiences 8 8th December 2009 12:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:07.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks