Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 18th December 2017, 23:14   #16
NH7
BHPian

I find it difficult to buy this angle that he was so drunk, he couldn't make out the difference...I'm playing the devil's advocate here, so let's say it would have taken him( arbitrarily) 15 min to drive his injured friend to hospital, atleast 30 minutes to see to the necessary formalities and about 10 minutes ( arbitrary again) to give up on finding a cab. Surely it had to be an hour atleast since his last drink, and one filled with ' sobering' and 'running around' activity in public view. I would speculate that he probably had Alcohol induced' Dutch courage' and was emboldened to drive away the ambulance and pull it off, while still being calculative enough to weigh it against
being caught DUI and face the legal consequences. If he could finish the hospital paperwork and drive atleast 13-15km in an unfamiliar and totally different kind of vehicle, he could surely not be as drunk as we are made to believe. I'm in no way condoning his reckless and selfish act, but I expect him to get away with it with some bad press and hate,but no legal repercussions.
NH7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 05:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Drunk Chennai man leaves behind his Audi, drives off with Omni ambulance

One of the articles does say that he had to compensate the hospital for bashing the Omniís ORVM in. Thatís what, under a thousand rupees?

What additional hush money he paid them and the cops is left unsaid.

Parodies are coming up thick and fast .. this news item is being played for all the humour it can generate rather than serving as a lesson on drunk driving.

Like this one (and yes that car has a UK number plate so he probably exchanged it for fish and chips rather than Ilish)
Attached Thumbnails
Drunk Chennai man leaves behind his Audi, drives off with Omni ambulance-4557bfd0798045ec9e66482297cec204.jpeg  

Last edited by hserus : 19th December 2017 at 05:47.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 06:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Drunk Chennai man leaves behind his Audi, drives off with Omni ambulance

Poorly written article, hence leaves a lot of questions :

1) Where was the hospital security guard?

2) Why was a key left in the Omni ambulance as it results in such possibilities + leaves the doors unlocked.

3) What kind of a hospital was it? Most of the good ones monitor car parking within the premises, if it was external parking shouldn't security be extra vigilant about their own vehicles?

4) The second article completely omits the driving in an Audi part, was there or was there not, an Audi?

All things said, the matter is closed and I doubt that the facts will come out anymore.. speculations notwithstanding. At the end of the day no harm no foul and everything inbetween has been settled with the hospital already, so let's leave it at that.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 08:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
..... was so high, he drove off in the hospitalís Omni ambulance.

At around 3 AM that night his driver returned the Omni...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Perhaps he had too many DSG and other service issues with his Audi, and hence decided to pick up something more reliable?..
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
I find it difficult to buy this angle that he was so drunk, he couldn't make out the difference...
The usual tendency of media reports is to sensationalize news and twist the facts to get maximum attention. Not trying to blame the media, but all news reports are someone's perspective and should be viewed neutrally without getting carried away.

Especially incidents such as this one make it an entertaining "masala news" read, because it involves an Audi user and makes it sound high profile and gets instant attention of its reader base.
Just imagine; "a Maruti 800 drunk driver drives off in an Omni" type of incident will not make it to the headlines because it won't be popular news.

The driver was certainly in his senses to navigate through the traffic and reach his home. His action of driving off in an Omni may been taken consciously but spontaneously.

In his "possibly" drunken state, he might have come out of the hospital, found the Omni at the porch with keys hanging in the slot and "opportunistically" found it more convenient to just drive off in that bonnet less Omni, without giving a damn or having any concern about other's (emergency cases) well being.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 08:25   #20
Team-BHP Support

I doubt he was so intoxicated that he couldn't figure out the difference between the 2 cars. Maybe the gent was using his brain, and figured he wouldn't get stopped at police checks while in the ambulance?
Akshay1234 is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 09:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Poorly written article, hence leaves a lot of questions :

1) Where was the hospital security guard?

2) Why was a key left in the Omni ambulance as it results in such possibilities + leaves the doors unlocked?
At the end of the day no harm no foul and everything in between has been settled with the hospital already, so let's leave it at that.
I agree, the Audi driver could have taken a drop in the ambulance to avoid getting caught by cops. The driver too later would have enjoyed drinks and forgot to return back.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 19:13   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Drunk Chennai man leaves behind his Audi, drives off with Omni ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I agree, the Audi driver could have taken a drop in the ambulance to avoid getting caught by cops. The driver too later would have enjoyed drinks and forgot to return back.
A clear example showing why enthusiasts prefer the other two German brands. A cvt front wheel drive can only do so much, he found a petrol rear wheel drive manual irresistible.

Jokes apart, he stole the ambulance because he knew he wouldn't get caught for driving while drunk. Ambulances are quite notorious for being used in nefarious activities, especially smuggling and sales tax evasion.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 22:39   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Drunk Chennai man leaves behind his Audi, drives off with Omni ambulance

I entirely agree with view that he could not have been so drunk that he could not differentiate between a luxury automatic and a basic manual. It is possible that the ambulance driver parked his car in such a manner that the Audi's exit was blocked. Out of anger and spite the man drove off in the ambulance and later sent his driver to return it. Possible?
dr_anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 00:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have a friend who I can imagine in exactly this situation. He's from a big business family, and I've seen him in a wide variety of cars, ranging from rusty jeeps to some high end Germans. Their cars are kinda shared property within the family, and constantly in circulation.he just picks one up based on what's available, and what he's out to do. He's also known for his long list is legendary stories of what happened to him/adventures he got into after getting drunk, so I find this entirely plausible

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th December 2017 at 00:07.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 02:14   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

There's no need to get angry because it was negligence on the hospitals part to have an intoxicated person drive off in their ambulance.
Next up, I think this was very smart on his part, he would not be stopped for DUI checking and could get the driver to return the car.
If only they would have done this earlier haha!
On the other hand, a cab might have been a better option. Also DUI check can't be done if the person isn't *driving* when the cops stop him.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 10:20   #26
BHPian

There could be another dimension to this story. Perhaps the man was habituated to driving an OMNI regularly and had taken the Audi only as on off beat drive. It could be that the Audi was with him as a loan or that it could be belonging to his injured friend.

In drunken state (and by habit) and perhaps lost in worries about his injured friend or the incident that caused the injury, he picked up (wrongly) the Omni as usual and left home only to realize later that he had an Audi that day.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 20th December 2017 at 10:28.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote