Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 4th December 2006, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Default Bhutan Registered vehicle spotted in Bangalore!!

The other day, I spotted an Ambassador near airport which had a RED number plate with Brass letters BG something.... And the Rear windscreen had a big sticker saying 'Royal dynasty of Bhutan' , Wonder if they drove all the way

Took a picture from my mobile phone, but not good...
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 16:19   #2
BHPian

Bhutan to Bangalore - that must have been some trip! I've seen cars with diplomatic / consular plates in bangalore a few times. I remember when I was in school the funeral of Svetoslav Roerich was held at his estate on Kanakapura road, and there was a whole convoy of strange looking limousines with yellow plates.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 19:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well out here in UP/Uttranchal we regularly get to see Cars/Buses/SUV's from Nepal which are full of tourists since we share the border. But actually driving down to Bangalore from Bhutan? WOW that must have been one hell of a road trip!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 19:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

More likely it was a local sarkari Amby with Bhutan plates transplanted for the occasion.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 20:31   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
More likely it was a local sarkari Amby with Bhutan plates transplanted for the occasion.
Means what? And how can somebody do that?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 20:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

A bit offtopic here, but arent all consulate cars supposed to have yellow plates with CC + some series as the number?
But once in Pune, I had seen a parked E240 with yellow plates AND something written in Arabic as well.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 22:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Means what? And how can somebody do that?
Say a Bhutanese (?) diplomat/royal/functionary is visiting India. His car plates would reflect the fact that he is in fact Bhutanese. But I'm not too sure Bhutan can afford to maintain a fleet of cars. So the Indian govt, as a favour, lends him a govt car wherever he goes, and that govt car is on special duty as a Bhutanese embassy car.
Old 4th December 2006, 23:19   #8
BHPian

@ wher's the pic which u have taken ??
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 00:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

The normal number plate in Bhutan is Red in Colour. All embassy/consulate cars have Blue number plates with CC prefixed to the numbers. Cars from neighbouring countries of Nepal/Bhutan (Pakistan and Bangaldesh excepted) are allowed into India, subject to RTO permissions. I drove to Bhutan in a motorbike in 1994 all the way from Bombay and I had to seek the Bhutan RTO permission at border town Phuntsoling before being let in (this permission is routinely given, and I am sure that there is a reciprocal arrangement in India too). Incidentally, Bhutan is a very rich country and everyone drives around in Toyota Lexus/LandCrusiers/Prados. Indian cars are the lowest levels of taxis.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 00:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Say a Bhutanese (?) diplomat/royal/functionary is visiting India. His car plates would reflect the fact that he is in fact Bhutanese. But I'm not too sure Bhutan can afford to maintain a fleet of cars.
As a matter of fact Bhutan's Government/Royalty has a decent amount of money. I used to have a friend & room mate during my hostel days who belonged to the royal family & they always had the latest S-classes, BMW's etc. in their fleets. Not to mention all the latest gadgets & a LOT of cash on them. Your assessment that Bhutan is poor due to its small size is not really correct.
Old 5th December 2006, 00:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Owning one or two cars worth USD 100,000 is not the same as being in a rich country. I would hesitate to call India rich, even though APJ uses an S600 Pullman.
Old 5th December 2006, 01:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Owning one or two cars worth USD 100,000 is not the same as being in a rich country. I would hesitate to call India rich, even though APJ uses an S600 Pullman.
Agreed Bhutan & India might not be rich countries but you can't deny that our Politicians/Bureaucracy are certainly anything but poor!! Similarly the Royalty/Bureaucracy in Bhutan also does not have shortage of funds.
Old 21st December 2006, 21:29   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this "MARUTI" ESTEEM with these number plates whats it all bout
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 21:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
[

Spotted this "MARUTI" ESTEEM with these number plates whats it all bout
My guess is that its an indian diplomats car from Pakistan
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 00:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

I doubt it's Islamabad. The woman on the right appears to be wearing a saree. But on the other hand, the colour scheme is consistent with diplomatic plates in Pak.