Default re: Boon or bane: White concrete topping of Bangalore roads

Looks like they may slow it down.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le22276952.ece
subramanyam84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 18:13   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Boon or bane: White concrete topping of Bangalore roads

Personally prefer tar roads over concrete anyday. Tar feels grippier, while the tyre / road noise is also lesser. Some highways still have good amount of tarmac, but most expressways are now only concrete.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 19:46   #18
BHPian

BBMP has started using 'tiki tar' (Bituminous rubber sheets) on roads.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62245260.cms
Aston.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 20:28   #19
BHPian

Overheating of tyres on concrete roads and associated tyre bursts have been a concern. A few references below

Yamuna expressway- a highway to hell

team-bhp discussion. (Concrete Highways and Tyre Quality)

My dad's profession was laying roads and he did that for 30 years. He said, in olden days they used bitumen from local refinery, but not anymore. Now a days, ready mixed bitumen is imported from Germany and it has superior durability. In his opinion, the life of a road is not mainly determined by the top layer but the ones underneath. Depending on the soil conditions and topography, the reinforcement should be adjusted. No matter whether it is concrete or bitumen, if the foundation is not done well, it is going to give away. The bitumen will deform and erode. The concrete will crack and expose steel bars.
Thermodynamics is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 00:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Compared to paver blocks, I'll even take the dirt roads. Anything is better than that menace.
Whenever concrete roads are constructed, the height increases by few inches. This becomes dangerous as tyres can get damaged and even drivers can lose control.

Rather than dirt road and paver blocks, I would prefer asphalt on the side and a proper drainage system can help water seepage.
rahulskumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 03:18   #21
BHPian

Vast sections of the white-topped road on ORR has been thrown open to the public and I enjoyed gliding over them to be quite honest. Was a smooth affair. It definitely looks good and might last. Did spot a crack at one section!

Bangalore has had no good roads now, for ages, and these roads (whether good or bad remains to be seen) have given a shot in the arm to the infrastructure, I feel. I welcome the change.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 08:51   #22
BHPian

The same exercise has been going on for the past few months in Nagpur as well. Almost all our major roads have been converted to concrete and more are being added to the list. I had the same concerns as everyone else on this thread and I too feel the ride quality is pathetic on these roads. Also, NHAI uses concrete on some of its highways and those roads are orders of magnitudes higher than the roads that are laid out in the cities.

Whatever the reasoning was for using concrete roads in cities, it has been rendered moot by shoddy execution and pathetic planning.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 09:27   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Concrete roads are more noisy and bumpy in my opinion,i usually observe a lot of road noise while travelling on pune-Bangalore expressway, in some stretches where there is tarred surface the car becomes silent and is such a relief, noise tends to wear me out mentally.I also find it wears out my tyres significantly faster.My bridgestones look like they have done 10,000 kms in just 1000 kms on concrete road.

Something similar was done in goa-miramar stretch which was perfectly fine 4-lanes asphalt road, for no joy it was turned in to concrete road,it is now a 2 lane road compared to a four lane before, and to be frank its utterly useless as its very bumpy and offers a harsh ride.
I cant recollect but i think someone prominent after driving over the concrete road said we should now put asphalt on it,maybe sarcastically remarking to the harsh and bumpy ride it offered compared to before.

Last edited by scorpian : 6th January 2018 at 09:29.
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 16:49   #24
BHPian

The timing of this work is totally wrong. The government should have focused on the metro phase two and brought it to completion before starting the white topping work. That way we should have an alternative mode of commute. Now it has become a living hell every day.
manojas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 19:31   #25
BHPian

Concrete roads are usually bumpy, hard and more durable than the bitumen ones.

Conventionally, concrete roads are laid within city or town limits where speeds are low and concrete roads are comparatively easy to lay in the narrow lanes. Also, as they better withstand rains, it is economically more viable to lay and maintain.

Bitumen roads provide smoother ride and better braking efficiency.

May be the municipal bodies are looking at more viable alternative, and are preferring concrete roads.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 20:53   #26
BHPian

State government is doing Concrete on busy roads in many other cities in the state as well. So it is not limited to Bangalore roads alone. It is planned to do it on 29 roads in Bangalore and not entire city. It is great news since non metros get over looked for maintenance. Of course at a cost
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 21:21   #27
BHPian

All the roads in the area I live in are concretized and its been more than 8 - 9 years. The concrete roads are :

1. Noisy
2. Road grip is less
3. Water does not percolate(is the word right?) inside.
4. Dust does not settle down.

But the ride is not harsh and indeed lasts longer. But lets see how good the quality of the cement is that is laid on newly.

Audugodi stretch from forum signal on-wards is open to public. Anybody who have traveled that stretch can comment on the road quality.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 21:30   #28
BHPian

White concrete is being implemented in Hyderabad as well, but sparingly, mostly around the IT corridor.

I felt it more uneven than the regular asphalt, slightly bumpy (the suspension seems to be more at work) & above all there is more tyre noise.

It tends to last more than asphalt, but rain water just flows down, no absorption at all. 2 wheelers are at risk as any fall will result in bruises & bad falls could result in serious injuries.
Venkat_Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 17:54   #29
BHPian

When I was a kid, there was a section of concrete road between Tiruneveli and my hometown. It was heaven to drive on that stretch because that was the only road that held up over many years. I remember my dad telling me that it was laid when he was in college. While we don't drive that stretch anymore (take the NH instead), I am sure it will be there even now.

Yes, I agree that it could be a gimmick and also there are always disadvantages. And as member Thermodynamics said, it's all about the prep of the base layer. Where we live now in Bangalore, the road is just laid on top of uneven surfaces and within 3 months, the top coat breaks and then it's back to hell.

Within city, white topped roads make a lot more sense (less speed / noise etc.). While I too am a skeptic, I do wish that we resolve this constant laying of roads through this means. I'd any day take a 75% quality long term concrete road than a 95% quality tar road that breaks in 3 months.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 00:06   #30

There are technologies available where additives are added in the concrete and it sets the concrete in 48 hours. Here we lay it and keep it for 21 days. Such a nightmare.
Ashscorpion is offline   Reply With Quote