Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th August 2010, 06:18   #61
BHPian

After nearly 3 years and 65K kilometers (including 3 trips to Ladakh) without a puncture, bad luck finally struck when I had 3 punctures in 2 days on a single ride! This was during the solo ride to Uttaranchal.

First puncture: 4 kms out of Gwaldam on day 4. I had just got my first sighting of the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas in the distance when my rear tyre went flat with a hissss. Since bad luck rarely comes in singles, My goop can which i carry for moments like these decided it wanted to explode and spill over my hands rather than repair the tyre! I had to remove the rear tyre and take a lift with a passing truck 10 kms back to Baijnath, get the tyre fixed and then hitch a lift with another truck to get back to my bike and reassemble the tyre. Removing the rear tyre from a bullet is no childs play when you are riding alone: had to virtually drop the bike on one side against a culvert on the side of the road so i could pull the tyre free. The thicker 110 tyre only made the task more difficult. Lost 3 hours getting it fixed.

As I was approaching Karnaprayag later in the day (instead of Joshimath as per orig plan), the same tyre went flat again: fortunately 200m away from a puncture repair shop. But pushing a Royal Enfield loaded with 100 kgs in luggage is no fun when you have a flat tyre!

Had one more flat 2 days later when returning from Auli back towards Karnaprayag!

3 years without a puncture: then 3 punctures in 9 days! That is life on the roads indeed!

See full trip report here.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 22:41   #62
Team-BHP Support

You were riding alone without a spare tube. I really admire your guts.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 06:45   #63
BHPian

forgot a whole bag of spares while rushing out to catch the flight to Delhi. Pushed ahead thinking I will pick up the tubes enroute.

eventually purchased the tubes in Karnaprayag after 2 punctures and before the 3rd!

But even if i had been carrying the tubes, still would have lost 2 hours each time!

Last edited by COUGAR : 17th August 2010 at 06:49.
Old 17th August 2010, 06:54   #64
Team-BHP Support

The 19" tire and tube on the RE's is not easily available.
At least for the tube you can use the 18" Pulsar tube as a quick fix.

This is why I always have a spare tube lying around the house. In fact I even have a spare tube for my car in the boot. A tube that had one puncture. Worst case scenario being a flat followed by another. At least I will be able to use this one puncture fixed tube in a fix.

I discard tubes as soon as they have a puncture. Don't have much trust on the fixed tubes when driving or riding on bad roads.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:30   #65
BHPian

I purchased slime from a fellow biker friend who had some lying around. Will get around to getting the stuff "installed" before i move to Bangalore next week.

hopefully that will prevent a stranded situation.

Last edited by COUGAR : 17th August 2010 at 08:33.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:44   #66
Team-BHP Support

Slime is known to cause both handling and vibration issues.
Especially in the 19" tire of the RE.

Please take care, once you go slime there is no turning back for the tube. The tube will have to be replaced if you have issues with it.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

In tubeless tyres the chances of getting stuck due to a puncture are rare. The air escapes so slowly that one can get to a tyre repair shop for the needful. The only time air could escape fast is if you hit a pothole and your steel rim bends.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 12:50   #68
BHPian

My wife and I were stranded at a remote place in Scotland late in the evening on a Saturday with a punctured rear tire on our rented Vauxhall Astra 1.6 manual hatchback. There was a huge piece of jagged metal stuck in the tire.

We were about to get started on changing it when a 4X4 rolled up and a guy with an American accent alighted and offered to help. It turned out he was an American Army NCO on a training assignment at a British Army base a few miles away. In no time he fitted the spare and after accepting our profuse thanks was off in his car.

I drove carefully back to Edinborough (22 miles), avoiding the highway since the maximum permissible speed with the "space saver" spare tire was 40 mph. The next morning I managed to find a tire shop (with the help of our B&B host) but had to buy a new tire as the guy said he could not repair the damaged one. 110 pounds, but what can one do !

Thank heavens for the kind hearted Yankee.
benu9714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 15:39   #69
BHPian

This happened last year , i was returning from bangalore between gooty and penukonda had a puncture , we stopped by the side . My driver returns back with a worried look saying no tools available in the car . I had given my car for service 2 days before and had removed the jack,tools and the spare tyre . I reminded him to put everything back, he had put only the spare tyre without tools .
It was around 5.30 pm ,after waving for couples of vehicles a Tata Ace stopped and helped with his Jack , however his spanner was not fitting to remove the tyre ,after trying to stop other vehicles for another 30 mins finally a verna pulled over and helped me . I thanked him for his timely help and we had chai while the tyres were getting replaced . I gave my piece of mind to the driver and made it a point to personally check on all future drives .
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:37   #70
BHPian

This friday, i had my first puncture. On my way to office i heard a sound which i thought was sudden release of air from the right rear. When i parked it did not look punctured. But on the back of my head i knew i cannot dismiss that sound. Drove to Sai Iyengar tyres and there it was a BIG SCREW on the left rear. Thanks to the tubeless tyres, i could atleast drive to that place. Fix done in 15 mins, All tyres topped up with N2, I was happily driving back only to work till 12AM that day :-)
Viper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 16:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Your experiences - Punctured Tyre

This must be another harrowing experince for the rider i saw in the morning today on Electronic city elevated highway. This guy was pushing his motorcycle - Looked like Apache RTR - in the middle of the highway with flat tyres. I pitied the man as he had to push the bike for atleast 5-6KMs before he could get a puncture shop unless he got a vehicle and got the bike loaded - which woould have been sensible
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 18:25   #72
BHPian

Default Runflats punctured

Barely a month after getting my pre-owned BMW, I saw this 2" piece of metal sticking out on the Fr-Lf tire. Was quite apprehensive whether to pull it out or let it remain. Eventually took the pliers and pulled it out myself. It had embedded itself deep by over 1/2 to 3/4 inches in. Was quite relieved that air did not leak out despite visually seeing the crack.

& now just day-before-yesterday, I had an indication on the idrive showing loss of pressure. The Lf-Rr tire had a big cut and air was leaking rapidly. Was on the western express highway, I was wondering if I should drive it to Navneet or just show it to the local fellow around the corner. I opted for the latter. He took the tire out and said 'Saab stepnie laaga du'. He was quite surprised to learn that the car comes without one. Anyways, the cut was quite big and was on the edge of the bottom & sidewall and on the inboard side of the tire. Asked him what he could do. Before I could say anything further, he dug his tool in the RFT and repaired it the way one does a tubeless tyre. Applied a bit of feviquik on the sides and said Done. Having driven it over two days with no other problem (even the TPMS showing fine), I am wondering if I should replace the tire or let it continue till it gives away again.

its a Dunlop 225/50/R17-94W.
FlyinLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 15:15   #73
BHPian

Well, the repaired RFT worked fine for about 2 weeks and then again pressure loss from the same cut.

Got it replaced with a Yokohama Advan sports ZPS.
FlyinLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 20:56   #74
BHPian

Talking Re: Your experiences - Punctured Tyre

2012 haven't been very lucky for me in any terms. Had a bunch of punctures on my vehicles and had helped couple of friends too to replace!

Incident 1- On my Wagon R driven close to 21k Kms till then way back in Dec '11 towards the end of the month which is about 2.5 years old by then. Just the previous day, we had been to Hogenakkal and returned home around 9 pm. One would definitely hate to notice a puncture on a Monday morning while heading to office in hurry. Noticed something funny while driving the car few meters before realizing that the front left hand tyre (MRF ZvTS that comes stock) had gone flat. Parked the car right there, borrowed my friend's i10 and enjoyed it for a day before which I had to swap it with the spare the following day morning myself. MASS fixed the punctures and re-fixed it back as there were still about 4k kms for wheel rotation.

Incident 2 happened about two months later and this time, it was the front right hand side tyre. Thanks to the construction site workers in the adjacent plot. Seems to be the nails littered by them carelessly causing the problem. Removed the wheels, rolled it for about 500 m where I got it repaired by a nearby pucturewala and restored the wheels back to glory.

Incident 3 happened just couple of days later on my neighbours i10 (2 years and 6k Kms driven). When I was just about to get into my car, noticed her trying to wheel jack her car to remove her rear right hand side tyre (Bridgestone stocks that comes with i10). By the time I neared her car, her car did some offroading as the left rear tyre was resting on a plastic cover. She had by the time removed the right wheel and due to the non-grippy rear side of the car, it slipped from the jack and landed on the suspensions happily. Went to the Bridgestone guys in HSR one of who was kind enough to come with the wheel jack and fix it.

Incident 4 : By this time, I've been promoted from HSR sector 1 to HSR sector 2. Car was serviced just the previous week and stored to be used the weekend. On a saturday evening, took out the car to test the performance and by the time we returned, it was 2 am. Tierd, I left the car parked near my house gate which is about 40degree slant. Next day morning, I noticed that the rear left wheel has a very less air-pressure. Thinking it could probably due to the angle at which the car was parked and imagining the load on that wheel might be high (still had reasons not to believe so), I decided to leave the car there and go by bike. On returning in the evening, the condition is still the same, and I decided to drive it to the nearest puncture wala who pulled out 3" nail who had his head almost gone.

Incident 5: The following day I decided to go by my Avy to office, decided to fill it up in OEM recommended pressure (as opposed to what bunk walas usually fill 26-32). While parking the bike, noticed a hiss sound. Managed to find some time in the evening, took one of my colleague's Apache, roamed around to find a puncture guy in Electronics City to do the job.

The only wheel on which I haven't encountered a puncture yet is my Avy's front tyre!
Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 17:41   #75
BHPian

Default 30,000 Kilometers. 3 Years. No Flat Tyre. When did you have your first?

I am wondering if it's only me or there are others too.

I am driving My April 2010 Ford Fiesta Zxi on stock tyres and tubes. I am yet to touch or take out the Jack from the belly of the car. In fact, I got paranoid one night an year after buying the car and came all the way down to my parking and popped the trunk to see if they did give me a jack along with the car.

The Fiesta has done close to 30000 kilometers. Has been driven on all kinds of roads. From Himanchal to Uttranchal to the deadly stretch between Gwalior and Jhansi (many a times). And those who have driven on this road, must know that there isn't even a road. And has been driven with varying load, most of the time me solo to fully packed (5 adults and 2 kids) all the way to Lakhamandal (about 100 kilometers further away from Mussorie).

AND STILL NO FLAT TYRE..not even once. It is not even a tubeless tyre.Not saying that they do not get punctured.

So I thought let me check with fellow BHPians, are there others too or am I the extremely lucky one. Go ahead, tell us, when did you have your first flat tyre after buying a car?
New.Novice is offline   Reply With Quote