Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th January 2007, 15:23   #1
BHPian

Default Count down timers at signals - boon or bane

I was observing how a good initiative can be misused. I am talking about count down timers at signals which will help not to keep on guessing on signal changes. But what actually happens.
Most of the times I have seen vehicles start moving once the countdown reaches 6 or 5. This usually takes the time out of pedestrian who are crossing roads.
More over if you are waiting for the signal in front, you will get terrific honking before the green signal. I strongly think all timers should go off once it reaches 20 or 15 sec. You should be guessing for some time at least

Guys what do you say
santhoshx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 16:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Timers are required - definitely. But any facility as its uses and misuses. During countdown, there has to be properly enforced discipline by cops - shutting off the timer at 20 secs will add to the problem of jumping a signal.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 16:55   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshx View Post
strongly think all timers should go off once it reaches 20 or 15 sec. You should be guessing for some time at least
Hahaha!! Thats a very good idea.

I think overall the timers are a boon.

If i was stuck at a 2min signal i would be a bit impatient, but when theres a timer there that clearly tells me i'll be waiting for 120secs, it lets me relax.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 16:59   #4
BHPian

I think it also helps conserve fuel (and reduce emissions) because people tend to switch their engines off if they see a high count on the display. I usually switch off if I see 60 seconds or more
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Default Timer only for green light

I'd suggest timer only when green is going, the moment it turns red no timer. Most of the people seem to be misusing it like santhoshx mentioned .
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

A BIG BANE !! And its the same situation allover.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 17:45   #7

experts: what time ( remaining) is the long enough to switch the engine off?? 60 sec??
sandeep_tyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 17:53   #8
rks
BANNED

Timers are in my opinion very important for safety. They let you approach signals fast and give you a precise indication of whether to stop or keep going. Otherwise those who try to "beat the red light" (always a dangerous thing to do) will be doing it blindly and often cutting red or braking hard before signals, neither of which is desirable. It is another matter that at least in Pune (and in many parts of Mumbai as well) most of these timers are not working either due to vandalization or bad weather or poor maintenance.

Last edited by rks : 8th January 2007 at 17:56.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 18:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

I like them since not only do they let me relax by telling me how long I have to wait but also if it's more than 60 seconds then I can switch off my engine!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 19:05   #10
BHPian

Atleast the guy behind will not keep honking unnecessarily and chew my brains off. Also tells the traffic when it will turn to Red. I have seen signals rapidly changing from Green to Red leaving you slamming the brakes. Useful for progressive stopping.
Subbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 19:39   #11
BHPian

This is definitely a boon! This a wonderful concept (we can't blame authority if people misuse it) and I've not seen this even in many European countries
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 20:08   #12
BHPian

Boon or Bane depends on how we (people) use it.

Till date, I have only heard honks when the countdown comes to 5 seconds. People behind get restless. And additionally when the signal turns green, the guy from 10 cars behind honks as if I am the only guy blocking his path for his 0 - 60

There should be a change in the mentality of the people to respect signals. Firstly, we should stop and not start rushing at the amber (orange ?) signal, which we invariably do.

Again the authorities are to blame. Imagine a situation - 6.00 am in the morning and the signals are on and you are the only person in the entire stretch and you need to wait till the signal turns green. No other soul in sight. What i mean here is the traffic authorities have to take proper timing studies before implementing them.
pugram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 20:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
This is definitely a boon! This a wonderful concept (we can't blame authority if people misuse it) and I've not seen this even in many European countries
One reason you do not see them is because the signal lights change based on the traffic density and hence the count becomes useless there.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 21:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Timers are actually a welcome feature as they have the advantages of saving fuel and reducing pollution to a large extent and also tells you to relax while waiting. But at the same time it is a major irritant when you hear vehicles behind you honking like mad when the timer is about 5 or 6 seconds to green as if they are going to achieve something great in a few seconds. As rightly pointed out earlier, its the duty of the cops to enforce it on the people and penalise them heavily if they dont. Nothing works like installing fear in the minds of people when it comes to following rules of the road.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 22:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Itz a Boon for me!

It helps me to better my mileage & relax too!
Whenever the counter is > 30 secs, I switch off the Car.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote