Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th January 2007, 12:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Bike Skid on the way to Hogenakkal

The past weekend being a long weekend, and with my junior bro-in-law coming down to Bangalore for a visit, we decided to make the most of it by heading out on some long trip. After going through some of the posts on the travelogues section, decided to head out to Hogenakkal.

The ride on our 3 months old Ikon Flair was excellent, and we even managed to cross 150 kmph at one stage. While i do not wish to go into further details on the trip as such in this section, just wanted to put forward an incident which we came across.

We entered the final stretch of the way towards Hogenakkal, and were passing through those hilly roads with sharp bends at places when we came across 2 bikes, one of which was still lying on the road. There was a couple with a child about 2 years of age, along with some other person, probably the other biker. None of them wearing helmets. The road was slippery around that descent which according to them was caused by some auto which spilt diesel along the road. Imagine that... a sharp bend at a descent and spilt fuel, and bikers sans helmets. The bikers were bleeding at various places, which was bearable, but the sight of seeing the little child with a cut forehead made me go week in the knees. The kid was wailing miserably. We stopped, offered assistance and i asked them to use a wet cloth to stop the blood flow. i believed this would help. However, some other people on an Esteem (TN registered) who also stopped to help were against this. They disuaded the injured from using water to wash the wound or using wet cloth over the injured spots.

What i wanted to know was if there was any problem in using water to cool the wound, or wash it. Water provided in this case was mineral water. Under such situations of bleeding what is the sort of treatment to be provided? Ice is used to cool the wound, and doesnt cool water also do the same?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 12:30   #2
BHPian

very sorry to hear this incident specially the poor baby involved in the accident. I guess initially there is no harm in cleaning the wound with clean water.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 12:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

from my little knowledge, i can say that a wound necessarily has to be cleaned with water & the water sponged off to prevent pus. nothing wrong in washing the wound with water. there are a few doctors around here who would be able to give the right answer.

BTW, finish your narrative & tell us what happened.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 13:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is always cleaned first with water and then apply the necessary bandages etc....
I wonder why they objected to it...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 14:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am not a doctor but I do think washing the cut is the best thing[infact some doctors advice soap as well] in this case maybe the water was way too cold and the guy stopped you thinking about the discomfort the cold water was causing,wet cloth not recommended though since it is not sterilised and also in the initial stages the wound is very sensitive and abrasive surface of the cloth may actually worsen the wound.

But would like to know what the esteem guys did,or where they only dishing out advice

BTW very nice on your part benbsb29 to stop and care for the injured.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 30th January 2007 at 14:27.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 14:30   #6
Team-BHP Support

What happened after all this was that we offered a ride to a nearby clinic or hospital which they politely refused. Post inspection of their respective bikes they asked us to carry on with our trip.

i was just wondering that if they used water to clean the wound the chances of it getting infected could have reduced a bit besides providing a cooling effect, rather than waiting till they reached the nearby hopspital or something.

Maybe post this fall they wud think in terms of investing in helmets??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
I am not a doctor but I do think washing the cut is the best thing[infact some doctors advice soap as well] in this case maybe the water was way too cold and the guy stopped you thinking about the discomfort the cold water was causing,wet cloth not recommended though since it is not sterilised and also in the initial stages the wound is very sensitive and abrasive surface of the cloth may actually worsen the wound.

But would like to know what the esteem guys did,or where they only dishing out advice

BTW very nice on your part benbsb29 to stop and care for the injured.
Hi Rahul,
i offered water which wasnt freezing cold or anything, but cool....
I used a fresh facial tissue on which i sprinkled some water to dab on the wounds. My knowledge at this point of time told me this was the right thing to do.

The Esteem guys too offered advice, checked if the bikers were physically fine and then proceeded on with their journey. I guess considering that injuries werent really serious, this was the best they/we could offer.

Last edited by bblost : 19th August 2010 at 12:04. Reason: back 2 back.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 15:07   #7
BHPian

no probs in using water to clean the wounds as long it is clean water
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote