Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th February 2007, 20:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

A bit off-topic...

Heavier penalties for mobile motorists

Motorists face increased penalties for using a mobile phone at the wheel from today.

New legislation raises the fixed-penalty fine for offenders from £30 to £60.

And for the first time, those caught using a hand-held mobile will receive the added bonus of three penalty points on their licence.

Courts will also have the power to fine offenders up to £1,000 - or £2,500 for drivers of buses and goods vehicles.

but thats in uk...wish this rule came to india too...

Last edited by danlalan : 27th February 2007 at 20:48.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 20:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

danlalan,

This is how your post looked:

------------------------------------

------------------------------
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 20:59   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
My friend, this is what everybody who takes call while driving thinks. even for that matter drunken drivers too confident!.

But what happens?. Ask my fellow BHP'ians
Actually I believe in using two hands while driving, especially on the highway. I rarely get calls while driving; I usually take one hand off to select the mobile operator when I am on my weekly Pune-Mumbai-Pune trips. I don't set this on automatic as the operator keeps switching and results in needless charges. So after I exit the Expressway either way (or while nearing the exit) I have to choose the operator (either Airtel-Pune or Airtel-Mumbai) and I take one hand off for this purpose. I have not found this to be a serious problem so far. But come to think of it, there may be potential dangers associated with this. On one occasion I did find barriers on the right lane of the Expressway and had to shift to the centre lane while holding the mobile.

I find the guys who slow down and talk on the phone to be the most dangerous and irritating bunch of drivers. Especially the cab drivers, who have a habit of abruptly slowing down when answering phone calls, even while on the Expressway. I make it a point to keep driving normally even when using the mobile. Those who cannot manage this should stop the car safely (not abruptly) and then talk. Slowing down, especially on the Expressway or on any highway, can be even more dangerous than over-speeding. And those who slow down in the city while talking on the mobile are a real nuisance who cause traffic jams.

Last edited by rks : 27th February 2007 at 21:19.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 21:22   #19
BHPian

Male brains are designed to do only one task at a time. So, men should not even use mobile phones at all while driving (even not handsfree).

However, female brains are quite capable of multi-tasking (not necessarily mean women are better drivers). They can very well talk on phone and watch TV properly at the same time!

PS: This is not my opinion - multitasking capability between men & women are proven facts.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 21:25   #20
BHPian

Dear friend... I'll post the pics tomorrow... The damage is pretty bad. If this can happen in 1st gear, at 5 kmph, imagine what can go wrong when you fiddle with your mobile, on an express highway, at 80+kmph.
Please get rid of this bad habit. Switch your mobile off, to avoid operator charges.

About multitasking - just read somewhere that a human brain (whether a man's or a woman's), can get completely 'choked' when it tries to focus on 3 things at a time. The effect is just like a computer 'hanging' up. When this happens, all actions, thinking stops for a second. Those who've played a game called cake mania would know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by amu1983 : 27th February 2007 at 21:29.
amu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 21:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Actually I believe in using two hands while driving, especially on the highway. I rarely get calls while driving; I usually take one hand off to select the mobile operator when I am on my weekly Pune-Mumbai-Pune trips. I don't set this on automatic as the operator keeps switching and results in needless charges. So after I exit the Expressway either way (or while nearing the exit) I have to choose the operator (either Airtel-Pune or Airtel-Mumbai) and I take one hand off for this purpose. I have not found this to be a serious problem so far. But come to think of it, there may be potential dangers associated with this. On one occasion I did find barriers on the right lane of the Expressway and had to shift to the centre lane while holding the mobile.

I find the guys who slow down and talk on the phone to be the most dangerous and irritating bunch of drivers. Especially the cab drivers, who have a habit of abruptly slowing down when answering phone calls, even while on the Expressway. I make it a point to keep driving normally even when using the mobile. Those who cannot manage this should stop the car safely (not abruptly) and then talk. Slowing down, especially on the Expressway or on any highway, can be even more dangerous than over-speeding. And those who slow down in the city while talking on the mobile are a real nuisance who cause traffic jams.

i really cannot understand this logic. why is it that we cannot remain out of reach for a few hours ??? is it that crucial to keep the phone on ? and if it is , are we compelled to answer a call when we are driving at 5 kmph or 150 kmph ??? what is the reason behind this madness ??? weren't we comfortable enough when we had to take messages once in an hour when we pull up somewhere & make a call ???

amu1983...this is a fantastic experience you have shared with this community. i am glad you have learnt a good lesson & hope many others would learn from yours instead of thinking that call could rake me millions, why should i miss it ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 22:15   #22
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
i really cannot understand this logic. why is it that we cannot remain out of reach for a few hours ??? is it that crucial to keep the phone on ? and if it is , are we compelled to answer a call when we are driving at 5 kmph or 150 kmph ??? what is the reason behind this madness ??? weren't we comfortable enough when we had to take messages once in an hour when we pull up somewhere & make a call ???
As far as I am concerned, it is just a matter of convenience, there is nothing earth-shakingly important going on that cannot be postponed for a couple of hours. I also want to keep my mobile functional so that I can make a quick call to emergency numbers in case of any accident/break-down. The last thing you want in an emergency is to have a non-functional mobile which you have to switch on, select operator, etc. -- this will only add to your tensions.
Old 27th February 2007, 23:14   #23
rks
BANNED

@amu1983 and Esteem_lover -- Now that I think about it, I blame Airtel for my having to fiddle with the mobile while driving. Why can't they have a function that automatically switches just between Airtel operators for varous zones, without bringing in BPL Mobile, Idea, etc.? On occasion, when I reach Mumbai keeping the operator selection on automatic, I find that the operator is BPL Mobile -- apparently Airtel-Mumbai doesn't get selected automatically even when it is available. I suspect this is just a ploy on the part of mobile operators to make money. And most importantly, I don't think you can make outgoing calls when the operator is not your regular one (Airtel in my case) -- I believe you can just receive calls. So the most important reason mentioned below for keeping the mobile on is defeated.

As I mentioned, the most important reason for keeping the mobile functional while on long trips is to keep it readily available in emergencies. Imagine it is 10-00 PM and pitch dark on the Expressway and your car has crashed, say, in the rain. If your mobile is connected you can reach the (already stored) emergency numbers immediately with a couple of clicks even in pitch darkness. Otherwise you need to spend a nervous 2-3 minutes or so switching on the mobile and selecting the operator.

Last edited by rks : 27th February 2007 at 23:19.
Old 27th February 2007, 23:47   #24
BHPian

Default Have you tried using prefered network list

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
@amu1983 and Esteem_lover -- Now that I think about it, I blame Airtel for my having to fiddle with the mobile while driving. Why can't they have a function that automatically switches just between Airtel operators for varous zones, without bringing in BPL Mobile, Idea, etc.? On occasion, when I reach Mumbai keeping the operator selection on automatic, I find that the operator is BPL Mobile -- apparently Airtel-Mumbai doesn't get selected automatically even when it is available. I suspect this is just a ploy on the part of mobile operators to make money. And most importantly, I don't think you can make outgoing calls when the operator is not your regular one (Airtel in my case) -- I believe you can just receive calls. So the most important reason mentioned below for keeping the mobile on is defeated.

As I mentioned, the most important reason for keeping the mobile functional while on long trips is to keep it readily available in emergencies. Imagine it is 10-00 PM and pitch dark on the Expressway and your car has crashed, say, in the rain. If your mobile is connected you can reach the (already stored) emergency numbers immediately with a couple of clicks even in pitch darkness. Otherwise you need to spend a nervous 2-3 minutes or so switching on the mobile and selecting the operator.
RKS

There is generally an option to list preferred networks where you specify a list of networks in order. A network is selected if no network ahead of the present one is available at any give time. It goes like this

List

Operator 1, operator 2, ..... operator 10. Operator 3 is selected only when Operator 1 and Operator 2 are not available.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 00:08   #25
rks
BANNED

@sreenivass, thanks for the info. Will check it out on my mobile.
Old 28th February 2007, 13:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983
It's the mind, not the hands. Talking still needs some concentration, which is what is mostly absent when accidents happen.
Correctly said. Using the phone while driving is a strict no-no, not just for us and our car, but for others on the road. And this is irrespective of whether you think you can drive with one hand alone or whether you have a hands-free or a bluetooth or whatever. Initially the Chennai police used to be OK with people using hands-free. Not any more, as they have understood the implications.

BTW, it is not just while driving. Recent studies show that talking on the phone while walking, itself is very dangerous - especially while crossing a road or railway track. There have been many instances in Chennai of people being run over by trains on the tracks as they did not notice the train due to being busy talking.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 16:06   #27
BHPian

Pics --->

Any idea of the cost for the repair/replacement? Also... where, in Pune?
amu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 16:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Tinkering & repainting of the fender should cost around 3-4k depending on the workshop. The headlight assembly around 1.5k.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 16:17   #29
BHPian

ouuchh..that looks bad.

from now on dont pay much attention to phone calls while driving/parking....but if Nature calls then you are allowed to get distracted
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 17:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey Amu I think u missed what i posted earlier ....!!!!
Quote:
Cost of Replacing: Approx 3K
Fender : Rs 1300-1400
Painting: Rs 1600

Cost of repairing: Rs 1600
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote