Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st April 2007, 07:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default 360 Degrees Twist and Turn

Over the past couple of days I could feel that the braking of my car was a bit slow and the tyres had started making a loud screeching sound and also the brakes. Yesterday night while coming home after dropping a few friends of mine, just about 500 meters from my place this incident happened and I cosider myslef lucky to have survived. I was crusing along at 50-60 KMPH and took a turn in a broad wide lane that leads to my building. However, as fate had decided, my car had a skid and went almost off the road towards the wall (There are walls on both the sides of the lane). somehow I managed to braked hard but the car almost roatated 360 degrees before coming to a halt....I cosider my self lucky as the car did not flip or turn at that speed as it had a quick very quick spin on the road...lukicly it was past 12 and there were no cars or trucks on the road...

Now What should I do...My car is going for servicing TODAY and I feel that the brakes are a bit jammed (the car is running perfectly)

Kindly advice..

Kudos to Maruti for making a stable car!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 10:22   #2
BANNED

a 360 at 50-60 ????? Man, what exactly did you do , which car was it ---- even a M800 can take a sharp left at that speed without even twitching .

Are you sure you didnt sit on ur brakes mid way thru the turn or so ..... ???
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 10:27   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

In addition to khaadu's question are you sure you didnt engage the handbrake ? Because its tough to fathom a zen doing a 360 around a bend . Yes , even with bald tyres . Even jamming the brakes mid corner would lead the car to spin to say about 90 deg but less than 180 deg .. So I have seen on track ..

Kindly get better tyres and change your brake pads if that is the case ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 12:56   #4
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
a 360 at 50-60 ????? Man, what exactly did you do
Exactly what i too felt when i read the post... was the road wet ?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 12:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
... was the road wet ?
even if the road was wet this will not happen..

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 13:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Road had Sand on it. I had to apply emergency brakes...and I didt expect it to go that bad...someone the car stopped without flipping...but now I know...sand on the road is BAD for cars as it is for the bikers...
Old 21st April 2007, 13:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: The service guys are now checking the brakes and they said I'll get the car only on Monday...they were talking something abt the calipers...or something like that...
Old 21st April 2007, 13:36   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Sand on the road , hard braking meaning locked wheels , hand brake and bald tyres .. Now i get the drift ?? Wait or was it you who almost drifted into the walls ?? Lol .. Honestly , get your brake checked and your tyres replaced immediately ..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 13:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, since the service was due today only, I asked them to take the vehicle and now its at the service center...I didnt use the HAND brake and still that bad drift...I am now sure if I had used it, The car would have gone for the repairs instead of service!
Old 21st April 2007, 13:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can someone guide me why do the tires make that screeching sound even on normal drives while turning...does it mean they need to be changed. 3 months back when I had shown the car to the JK tires guy, he said they should last about 1 year more. My car is done close to 30K in 2 years
Old 21st April 2007, 14:16   #11
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
3 months back when I had shown the car to the JK tires guy, he said they should last about 1 year more. My car is done close to 30K in 2 years
Its easy for people to say it'll last for more than a year, but it all depends on how you use them...
30k with the same set of tyres ? usually they should come for 35-40k kms without any trouble ( normal use )...
Old 21st April 2007, 14:21   #12
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
even if the road was wet this will not happen..
Bald tyres, wet road... you can expect this to happen.
Old 21st April 2007, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Tires are good (I am now assuming, Monday I'll get the updates from the service guys)
Old 21st April 2007, 22:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the emergency brake (E-brake) the hand brake? Cuz u just said u used it..
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2007, 23:00   #15
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Can someone guide me why do the tires make that screeching sound even on normal drives while turning...does it mean they need to be changed. 3 months back when I had shown the car to the JK tires guy, he said they should last about 1 year more. My car is done close to 30K in 2 years
Could be that your tyres are bald and not gripping, as others have pointed out. Another possibility is that your tyre pressures are very low. I would expect your car to spin around a bend even at 60 kmph if your tyre pressures were abnormally low or one of your tyres suddenly went flat. If you have tubeless tyres maybe one or more of your tyres has a slow puncture, leading to abnormally low tyre pressure (it is difficult to spot this unless you actually measure your tyre pressures). I had a slow puncture in one of my tyres and I guessed it by observing the sidewall bulge -- it was much more than in other tyres.

Anyway it is good that you sent your car for service. It is in need of a thorough check-up, including suspension, steering, brakes, wheels/tyres, etc.

Edit: Do you rotate your tyres regularly? One possibility that I can think of is when your rear tyres are much more worn out than the front tyres, leading to oversteer.

Last edited by rks : 21st April 2007 at 23:08.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote