Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th May 2016, 11:12   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: "Engine mein spark hota hai..." DONT GET FOOLED

Dear all - modern cars are extremely reliable. They don't "spark"! Please don't fall for such tricks. These things are common since many years. Read on and ENJOY!

In parked Maruti 800 cars, removing the petrol pipe just in front of the rear left wheel and in parked Premier Padmini cars, removing it from just behind the front left wheel (and putting a pencil stub in its place) or breaking the ignition coil to distributor low tension wire was very common. All these 3 things have happened to me, multiple times. The area outside our Parsi wedding hall Cama Baug in Grant Road is famous for this, if it did not happen there, I would be surprised. Oh how I have enjoyed every time, because my case is different. Each of my cars is a "chalta-firta" garage, having everything that I need in it. It was worth it, just to see the totally zonked look on their faces as they saw "transparent-wallah" petrol pipes, "14-number kaa finolex kaa" wires, "notre-kaa" tape bundles and "taparia-kaa" pliers coming out of the car. Then, I would make it a point to whisper in their ear very calmly "bhidu, kabhi kabhi main bhi mil jaata hoon. Doosri baar "rapchik ghiraek" dhoondhnaa. Tera gaadi bandh padaa hai kya? Mein chalu karke deta hoon naa, cutting chai pila dena, garib aadmi hoon"! . This used to have the effect worse than a slap, but then they will never improve, because they have nothing to lose! These are "tapori" boys working in roadside garages, trying to make a fast buck. Not at my expense, sorry!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 00:20   #77
BHPian

They tried the same thing in Powai today, around 5:30 in the evening. The same routine : a couple of guys pointed out sparks, then after 100m, 2 more guys pointed sparks. Then a good pretext samaritan came up pretending to be an Ola driver or something, gave me the you are lucky bullshit, and mentioned a Hyundai dealer just 200 m away. Out came the mechanics, the parts and fixed up a new alternator and some fuses, and asked me for money (INR 13,000).

I asked them to show where the office of this Hyundai service center was, and at this point, they vanished. I am not sure what damage they would have done to the car, but I will get that checked at an authorized shop tomorrow.

This was in Hiranandai, guess they are getting brave !
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 00:28   #78
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
This was in Hiranandai, guess they are getting brave !
I have encountered these thugs in Hiranandani Powai once. I was driving a Alto, when they tried to pull this trick. Gave a stern look, mouthed a few words and moved ahead.

Last edited by SDP : 12th August 2016 at 00:32.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 01:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

I had encountered such people as well, As well as those who said, "Tyre puncture hai", These people work in groups and select their target and communicate accordingly, We bhpians are good enough to know our own cars well! We know the very next second if there is something is wrong, Even if we might not be able to detect a problem at the earliest its always a good idea to never stop anywhere where someone is wanting you to stop! Please don't get carried away or all worked up only if some stranger is pointing towards your car and saying there is something wrong, The way most of us take care of our rides it would be a very rare incident where something like this was actually happen, Be alert guys! There are people waiting to take your advantage out there!

Another advice, If ever you stop to check, PLEASE LOCK YOUR CAR, There have been instances where people got their wallets/Laptops/ Cellphones stolen, So the way it also works is, Couple of people pointing towards the car, You stop the car and get down to check and most of the time you being in a hurry you won't lock the car, And thats when other people waiting around your car strike! Has happened to a close friend who lost his Mac in such a situation.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote