Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2007, 09:26   #31
BHPian
 
wolfinstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 994
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Once a very old gentlemans fiat conked out near my house, Since the Jam had built up behind, I stopped and left my flashers on to help push the car aside..! This bunch of rowdy kids in a scorpio behind me kept honking, and when I came back one of them abused me...All I did was get the abuser out, Slapped him real hard and told him " If it was your father who had got stuck in situation like this, Would you have someone help him or Honk,Abuse"...I still sometimes catch that fool in the local market and each time he see's me, He remembers and does says an occasional Hi...Maybe Lesson for life learnt..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 09:53   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 113
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

You are lucky. If there were kids of some politician/thug they could have foisted some fake case on you - delhi police are even known to foist fake rape cases when they want to fix someone.
ggkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 21:45   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: India
Posts: 160
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
You are lucky. If there were kids of some politician/thug they could have foisted some fake case on you - delhi police are even known to foist fake rape cases when they want to fix someone.
Rape case- now that the Supreme Court in its infinite wisdom (not!) has decreed that absent any other proof, the word of the rape victim has to be taken above the word of the accused, you could be in a real fix if accused of rape.
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2007, 21:49   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: India
Posts: 160
Thanked: Once
Default

One of the problems with helping people is that every act of goodness is exploited by nefarious elements.

For example, take a young lady stuck in a desolate area. You stop to help. Suddenly, from the treeline thugs (who are her accomplices) come out and rob you and take your car.

This is just an example, but I'm sure you've heard similar. That's one reason people who want to help just don't.

In fact, the recommended procedure according to some govt. agencies is to car the authorities on your mobile phone.

Of course, you have to judge the situation. If there's a couple or a family with kids, that's probably OK. If it's just a man and a woman, that could be a risk.
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 12:43   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

Wolfy, lucky you that you came away unscathed. With all these road rage stories that I read or listen, it is a wonder that you were neither maimed nor coffined...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Once a very old gentlemans fiat conked out near my house, Since the Jam had built up behind, I stopped and left my flashers on to help push the car aside..! This bunch of rowdy kids in a scorpio behind me kept honking, and when I came back one of them abused me...All I did was get the abuser out, Slapped him real hard and told him " If it was your father who had got stuck in situation like this, Would you have someone help him or Honk,Abuse"...I still sometimes catch that fool in the local market and each time he see's me, He remembers and does says an occasional Hi...Maybe Lesson for life learnt..!
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 12:42   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore/Hyderabad
Posts: 257
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
One of the problems with helping people is that every act of goodness is exploited by nefarious elements.
Completely agree, By nature I am very freindly and trusting, and helping other was second nature. It took me about 10 to 12 gypes by the time I got smarter and now I think twice before helping
Just to illustrate a few
1) A young boy pleading for help to bury his dead mother
I see the same boy the second time in another area doing the same stuff.
Gyped for 500 bucks

2) A rual type of guy asking for help to fund his tickets for the the family after loosing all their belonging when on a sight seeing trip.
Saw the same set of people doing the same trick else where
Gyped for 100 Bucks

3) A middle aged women asking for money for fuel after her purse got stolen, with a old kinetic nearby.
Later heard a diffrent version from freinds that they lost their mobiles as well. Gave their cellphone to call and got into a embarassing situation and had to just let go.

Well the list goes on. I am now very wary before offering help.

Of course some incidents quoted by most of the people here are outright genuine where I would jump to help.

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 29th May 2007 at 12:45.
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 13:20   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

Oh, this reminds of a very ineteresting and hilarious rip-off that happened with me.

People familiar with Delhi's geography will understand if I mention Andrews ganj crossing. That is where I was waiting for the signal to turn green. I was coming from the Jawaharlal nehru Stadium site and going towards Siri Fort.

A young lass of about 12 or 13 came limping on crutches asking for alms and I felt pity on her of being crippled at such a young age and gave 5 rs coin. She pocketed and went down. In the meanwhile a swanky merc also came down and stopped a few metre ahead of me and its window rolled down. What I saw was plain amazing and hilarious too.

This girl removed the crutches, tucked under her armpit and sprinted towards the merc and when nearing it again started limping on crutches to beg for alms.

I laughed and felt angry too, but after that I don't give alms. The genuine people who otherwise would have received alms from people like us now have lost out.

This also reminds me of a very famous hindi story studied in school - Baba aur Daaku Khadagsing. Pardon me if the names are wrong. It was long long time back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
Completely agree, By nature I am very freindly and trusting, and helping other was second nature. It took me about 10 to 12 gypes by the time I got smarter and now I think twice before helping
Just to illustrate a few
1) A young boy pleading for help to bury his dead mother
I see the same boy the second time in another area doing the same stuff.
Gyped for 500 bucks

2) A rual type of guy asking for help to fund his tickets for the the family after loosing all their belonging when on a sight seeing trip.
Saw the same set of people doing the same trick else where
Gyped for 100 Bucks

3) A middle aged women asking for money for fuel after her purse got stolen, with a old kinetic nearby.
Later heard a diffrent version from freinds that they lost their mobiles as well. Gave their cellphone to call and got into a embarassing situation and had to just let go.

Well the list goes on. I am now very wary before offering help.

Of course some incidents quoted by most of the people here are outright genuine where I would jump to help.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia Spirit TD wheelsNsqueals Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 16 31st October 2007 16:17
Aveo 1.6 / Verna XXi / City Vtec / Cedia Spirit / SX4 vishaltanksale Sedans 120 17th October 2007 20:05
Is the spirit of adventure/travel missing in us indians?? Or is it only me ? Red Bull Shifting gears 8 10th January 2007 22:17
Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit islero Super-Cars & Imports in India 7 2nd January 2005 08:08
The Spirit Of Ecstasy v12 Shifting gears 1 15th July 2004 16:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks