Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th June 2007, 17:27   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

On a similar note, a few weeks ago I was fined Rs. 1100 for using a mobile while driving and this was with a bluetooth headset.
Sorry for going OT, but isnt wearing a hands-free headset legal?
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 17:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

No with a capital N. The law clearly bans mobile coversation in whatever manner while driving. The moving vehicle has to be brough to a stationery position to make or take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Sorry for going OT, but isnt wearing a hands-free headset legal?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 18:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Speaking over the phone is illegal, no matter how you speak. The hands are not as important as your mind while you drive. that is why the law.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 19:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got a receipt for the fine and had no issues paying the fine - I violated the law and paid for it.
Majority of these receipts are fake one's at Chennai.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 19:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Come again...you mean another Telgi scandal happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Old 7th June 2007, 19:50   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
But how did they realize that it is 67 and not 66... I mean how do they measure????

Abhi

Try giving them a lesson on odo error...... Sirji mere to tyre ka size different hai that is why mujhe to pata hi nahin chala - mere meter mein to 55 kmph aa raha tha..........he he he he he
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 01:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Come again...you mean another Telgi scandal happening
Yeah, seriously surprise , how do you know this for sure, i am pretty much interested as all the others, this being a tall claim. have you had such an experience & if so what did you do ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 10:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Chennai safest among metros: Police chief

Quote:
Asked about the issuance of fake challans by the Traffic police personnel, Mr. Nataraj said he learnt about it through the media
Even before it hit the media, I came to know about two other sources. They have both the original and fake ones & insert these fake one's to pocket those amounts. Later those fake duplicate & triplicate copies will be tharshed by them.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:07   #69
BANNED

So, assuming what was quoted in an article from 2005 is still valid, how do I, as a good citizen, find out if my fine went into the Government treasury?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 11:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, assuming what was quoted in an article from 2005 is still valid, how do I, as a good citizen, find out if my fine went into the Government treasury?
There was a flash about this in 2005. They raided few printing press, trasferred few higher ups just to show off they wiped everything.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:21   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
I have seen so many times these policemen driving there old rickety gypies without seatbelts and riding 2 wheeler's without helmets. I guess we should also stop and call traffic police to challan them over there or take their pictures and mail them on the forum and to the local newspaper's.

Guess, it may help in teaching them a lesson.
This was already done in bangalore, someone sent a police guy without helmet picture to the media, they printed it (number was clearly visible), next day they posted a reply from the traffic police dept that the vehicle was traced and challan given to him.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 12:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
No with a capital N. The law clearly bans mobile coversation in whatever manner while driving. The moving vehicle has to be brough to a stationery position to make or take a call.
What if I use it to listen music from my laptop/Ipod, I can always configure the HF BT to do that ???

although this might come as a good excuse in hand, but difficult to make them understand the technology.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 11:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

There are ways to circumvent all these, what with technological advances happening everywhere and every field.

Since I get dime a dozen calls on my mobile, I invested in a NOKIA CK-1W bluetooth handsfree kit and now blabber away to glory. Even if the door is opened by a cop to peep, the installation is such that he/she won't be able to make out.

Nokia - Gallery - Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
What if I use it to listen music from my laptop/Ipod, I can always configure the HF BT to do that ???

although this might come as a good excuse in hand, but difficult to make them understand the technology.
Old 9th June 2007, 13:35   #74
Team-BHP Support

Even i was fined for driving at 65kmph in 50kmph zone on empty road on a summer afternoon last,was charged 400bucks,very dissppointed considering 65kmph is not a unsafe speed and neither it should be regarded as rash driving.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 16:26   #75
BHPian

In Chennai, they don't use speedguns.
The cop will jump in front of you and will tell you his subjective opinion of his speed.

The Marina stretch in the morning, and of late, the IT expressway corrdior from Tidel Park to Madhya Kailash are the favorite hunting ground for them
Got nailed twice in the last 2 months for doing a perfectly safe and sane 80 on a perfectly vacant 6 lane road :(

And the irony is that all sorts of errant bikers and rash MTC bus drivers zip away scot free on Mount road (the main thoroughfare) 24X7 right in front of the cops....

Last edited by abhi182 : 12th June 2007 at 16:27.
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote