Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 14:18   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 784 Times
Default

santosh made for a nice read.However you have just touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the traffic etiquette's in Bangalore . I don't know if you have noticed this, even though there are virtually no tar at some places (banaswadi, in front of Girias) we still have two speed-breakers. I find it really funny that in a road full of pot holes who would even think of doing anything about 30kmph ?

Quote:
The amazing design of the hanging bridge at KR Puram railway station & the road below needs to be amazed at (am lost for words). For sure some great transport engineers or some big firm must have been paid an obscene amount of money (the tax payers money - our money) to design that bridge & the roads below & what do we get? A wide road which converges below the bridge, now anybody can tell you that this design is a sure shot recipe for disaster (read traffic jam). Can anything be done there to avoid the traffic jam just like the flyover & underpass constructions all over the outer ring road from Hebbal to KR Puram (better late than never) ?
Whoever built this forgot to connect the ring road and the end result is the traffic jam right under the bridge.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 14:48   #227
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,388 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Whoever built this forgot to connect the ring road and the end result is the traffic jam right under the bridge.
And to add to the fun, there is also a railway station right under the bridge!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 14:57   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,412
Thanked: 1,033 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
santosh made for a nice read.However you have just touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the traffic etiquette's in Bangalore . I don't know if you have noticed this, even though there are virtually no tar at some places (banaswadi, in front of Girias) we still have two speed-breakers. I find it really funny that in a road full of pot holes who would even think of doing anything about 30kmph ?

Whoever built this forgot to connect the ring road and the end result is the traffic jam right under the bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
And to add to the fun, there is also a railway station right under the bridge!
Earlier the traffic was not so pathetic, but it all gone worst when railways fenced their land and made that to a parking space.

Either railways have to shift the present entrance to well before under-bridge or close this permanently and upgrade the old main entrance which is on the other side.

Also another "terrific" design is Benniganahalli railway underpass.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:34   #229
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 887
Thanked: 638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Earlier the traffic was not so pathetic, but it all gone worst when railways fenced their land and made that to a parking space.

Either railways have to shift the present entrance to well before under-bridge or close this permanently and upgrade the old main entrance which is on the other side.

Also another "terrific" design is Benniganahalli railway underpass.
Add the Bus stop on the other side of the road which contributes its share to chaos.

I really wonder the talent of pedestrians who cross the road from KR Puram Railway station to other side of the road to reach the bus stop. I can't imagine how someone can design that junction without thinking of pedestrians.

When we cross from bus stop towards railway station, there is almost no visibility of vehicles coming near to that junction due to a curve/U-turn junction.

Benniganahalli railway underpass: I don't know how many lanes they are planning now after widening the road. Though still they haven't opened it for traffic, its going to be chaotic. Also people are going to end up in wrong lanes due to confusion for those who want to take immediate left to climb the bridge towards ORR.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:39   #230
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 410 Times
Default

Nice thread this!

I just feel that if people stuck to lanes with better discipline and also the speed limits, broke lesser traffic signals and no traffic police manned the signals. I think this should lead to atleast some amount of clearing up of the jam.

Most of the time people are so busy rushing to catch the green at the signal or so peeved that they pushing everyone aside on the road, the effect percolates everywhere and leads to an overall increase in congestion.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:06   #231
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 312
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Bangalore traffic chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Add the Bus stop on the other side of the road which contributes its share to chaos.

I really wonder the talent of pedestrians who cross the road from KR Puram Railway station to other side of the road to reach the bus stop. I can't imagine how someone can design that junction without thinking of pedestrians.

-Ravi
Its not KR Puram but the whole of Bangalore (India) that pedestians are great game for motorist. Just when they try to cross you will notice the motorist speeding up so that scares them to freeze in their tracts. If you stop the guy/girl behind you is pressing down on the horn as if they are late for their funeral.
I agree with Commisiioner Sood when he says that "We all have advise as how to improve Bangalore traffic" but are the first ones o break them. A small step will be introducing back breaking fines-like Rs 5000 for jumping a light and so on
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:18   #232
BHPian
 
shazikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 391
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Speaking of the Woes whitefield/ITPL surrounding areas face everyday.. Practically there is one lane all the way between KRPuram - ITPL and Volvos rule the route between Marthally -ITPL. Has any one seen the mess at Hoodi railway signal every day morning.. "This is probably the only place in the world where a train stops for traffic which is stuck at the railway crossing!" and there is one hapless traffic policeman stationed there to discipline the drivers and some times even he is beaten up by unruly drivers..
Driving 30kms to/fro work is an adventure every day!
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:20   #233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 887
Thanked: 638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Its not KR Puram but the whole of Bangalore (India) that pedestians are great game for motorist. Just when they try to cross you will notice the motorist speeding up so that scares them to freeze in their tracts. If you stop the guy/girl behind you is pressing down on the horn as if they are late for their funeral.
I agree with Commisiioner Sood when he says that "We all have advise as how to improve Bangalore traffic" but are the first ones o break them. A small step will be introducing back breaking fines-like Rs 5000 for jumping a light and so on
We should take singapore as role model. They put hefty fines like SGD 1000, 2000, 10000 etc for many simple law violations.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:28   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 333 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Speaking of the Woes whitefield/ITPL surrounding areas face everyday.. Practically there is one lane all the way between KRPuram - ITPL and Volvos rule the route between Marthally -ITPL. Has any one seen the mess at Hoodi railway signal every day morning.. "This is probably the only place in the world where a train stops for traffic which is stuck at the railway crossing!" and there is one hapless traffic policeman stationed there to discipline the drivers and some times even he is beaten up by unruly drivers..
Driving 30kms to/fro work is an adventure every day!
100% agree. All approach roads to ITPL/Whitefield are quite narrow to handle such volume of traffic. Daily morning I drive from Whitefield to KR Puram side and evening vice-versa. I see such a plight of car drivers on that road opposite site everyday. Morning approach road from KR puram to Whitefield choked to the hell and above all one complete lane was dug up by Bangalore Metro people.

Evening starting from Gaducharpalaya to KR Puram railway bridge was choked like anything. Once I required to go to KR Puram railway station around 6 PM and those 5 KM distance I completed in 1 hours 30 minutes. Shame on all engineers and designers who design such roads. At one place it is enough for three lanes and suddenly it was narrow enough to pass only one vehicle.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 17:35   #235
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 927
Thanked: 183 Times
Default

In my opinion in Bangalore the quality of road surface is nothing less to pathetic, potholes and bone shaking humps are a real curse.
Bad roads slows down the traffic considerably, a person driving on such bad road becomes so frustrated that he just wants to break free and leave every one back, thatís what is causes traffic violation (like signal jumping, over speeding etc)
As a country we donít have people around with simple civic sense, on our roads we donít follow whatever lanes /traffic light enforcement we have , I think our education system should teach young Indian about road behavior. Maybe in 10-20 years we will see improve on these aspects.

I encounter traffic Jams on a daily basis simply because the junctions are so badly designed. I pass through a T junction which does not have any signal the corners of the junction are at 90 degrees there is not rounded the corners, making it difficult for buses/cars to turn, resulting in massive traffic pileup, donít understand why is BBMP / development authority broaden such junction on priority. Itís just common sense not rocket science, by law the development authorizes should have power to widen and improve the junctions to ease the traffic congestion.
I cannot even imagine the quantum of pollutants emitted and associated fuel wastages. Really sad to see the state of affairs in this so called hi-tech city.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 12:10   #236
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Wow, this thread was started in 2007 and instead of getting better its only getting worse....
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 22:33   #237
BHPian
 
SantoshPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 34
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

I wonder if some messages could be aired on popular radio stations on the benefits of lane discipline, obeying traffic signals etc? Might not help much, but it might atleast be a start.
Just a selfish thought, could trucks be kept off the city roads (& ring roads ) during peak hours say from 8am to 10am & from 5pm to 8pm, might give others some space.
SantoshPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 22:50   #238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore / Toronto, Canada
Posts: 154
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

@Santosh - Correct me if I'm wrong; but aren't the ring roads meant for going around the city without having to go through the city? If that's true then trucks, in fact, should be one of the chief beneficiaries.
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 00:22   #239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

I've said it before and I will say it again; Bangalore city needs a system of freeways/expressways inside the city. If Mumbai and Bangkok can do it, there should be no reason why Bangalore can't. North-South and East-West...not much to it. if this system exists, then surface streets won't be jammed as much.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 10:20   #240
BHPian
 
SantoshPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 34
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

@Iluvcars - You're right there, that why I had this . But then again I guess the purpose of the ring road was to avoid traffic congestion within the city limits but the city has expanded to much beyond the ring roads & have become an integral part of the city, hence this wishful thinking...
SantoshPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bosch collaborates with Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore S2!!! Technical Stuff 0 5th November 2015 15:48
About Rocket Science & Engines AlphaKilo Shifting gears 127 30th June 2015 15:13
Is there an art/science of driving over different types of potholes? khan_sultan Technical Stuff 30 16th January 2010 12:34
Treat for car and science fanatics from Paris- rally cars, engine assembly line pics! sidindica Shifting gears 3 26th December 2008 23:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks