Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th June 2007, 22:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I dont see any deployed airbags
The steering wheel airbag was deployed but i couldn't see any other airbags deployed in the car...
How many airbags are there in a 530i ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 22:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
The steering wheel airbag was deployed but i couldn't see any other airbags deployed in the car...
How many airbags are there in a 530i ?

Got this from their India site for the 5-series:

Quote:
A new-generation system for driver, passenger and side airbags comprises an important element of the BMW 5 Series Sedan safety package. A high-speed optical bus system controls the precise timing and extent of inflation of each airbag. The improved head airbag system (Advanced Head Protection System) protects occupants in a side impact by inflating in front of the side windows.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 22:34   #18
BHPian

Its really bad..indian roads are so unsafe but the shocking part is people lost their lives even in such a safe car... really questions the safety systems of these car. even i cannot see any airbags.. may they all rest in peace and ride safe people
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 23:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

@themag
this was the old 5 series.
Doubt that the same features were available on the old 5 series. The information you have posted was for the new 5 series.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 23:42   #20
Team-BHP Support

yup maggie see the headlamps an the kidney grille. this is the previous gen 5 series. Airbags may be only driver + passenger or only driver.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 23:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Doubt that the same features were available on the old 5 series. The information you have posted was for the new 5 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
yup maggie see the headlamps an the kidney grille. this is the previous gen 5 series. Airbags may be only driver + passenger or only driver.

Good points. But now arises a new question - BMW weren't firing on all cylinders if they shirked from providing basic airbags around for their cars that are considered luxurious.

Last edited by theMAG : 10th June 2007 at 00:09.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 00:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think the airbag saved the driver.
But there's less damage in the front than on the top which is completely destroyed.
Old 10th June 2007, 00:12   #23
Team-BHP Support

the E39 started production in 1996. All models had front driver + passenger airbags. From 1998 onwards rear side airbags were also introduced.

From the looks of the remains of the headlamps it had xenons which were introduced in 2000. So the model above has to have all the jhing bang safety features.

I have heard several times that the airbag may not go off if you go under an indian truck. This is because of the location of the airbag sensor in the engine compartment somewhere near the radiator. This sensor doesnt detect the impact. I have seen this on a corolla where the airbags dint go off as the sensor was located below in the engine bay just behind the radiator.

If they werent wearing seatbelts airbag or no airbag not much chance of survival.

A friend's whole family perished a few years back when they were travelling in a qualis which rear ended a truck. The truck had long steel rods sticking out of it. The engine bay was intact but noone survived as the rods pierced through each and every one onboard.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 00:19   #24
BHPian

thats a sad one!RIP! was it rainin.u can see the wiper there.or did they come off because of the impact!?
Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 00:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

By reg no it has to be a 2001 model..
Quote:
A friend's whole family perished a few years back when they were travelling in a qualis which rear ended a truck. The truck had long steel rods sticking out of it. The engine bay was intact but noone survived as the rods pierced through each and every one onboard.
That's very sad indeed n a very brutal end to a family....
Old 10th June 2007, 06:56   #26
LLL
BHPian

seen couple of accidents due to lorries or vehicles parked in middle of road with no warning lights.

just cant help to see how foolish we folks are....and the govt/police doesnt care. Almost all autoricks in delhi dont have rear lights and those that have never use them.

2 days back i narrowly avoided a rick that was standing in middle of the road with no warning lights. i thought the rick was moving and realized it was stationery when i came quite close to it.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 07:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Its really sad to see this.

More powerfull the car is , we should be equally be more carefull.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 07:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

the surajkund kund road is a well lit road with a very nice drive....what happened there I will found it out and will let you know guys....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 09:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Almost the same thing happened about 2 years back at a checkpost on NH47 in Trivandrum. A truck loaded with logs was parked at the checkpost, with the logs jutting metres behind the truck. Apparently, the red light that is normally fixed at the back wasn't there and a Scorpio rammed into in. Same story here... the engine bay was almost intact, but 4 of the 5 passengers perished. They were all senior rotarians returning from a Rotary club party. So there was also a rumor that they were all drunk. Don't know how true it was, but in my book, the truck was at fault!
leodelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 10:51   #30
BHPian

cant say for sure but looks like the wipers were switched on when the acident happened.
maybe it was raining or maybe there was a slight drizzle substaintially impairing visibility .
everyone knows how bad visibility ,through a streaked windshield can be.maybe thats what caused the accident in the first place
abhijit 2284 is offline   Reply With Quote