Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2007, 16:38   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Banglaore
Posts: 269
Thanked: Once
Default Bangalore- Attention -A NEW TRICK FOR car theft

Just received an email , thought I will share ( no authenticity though)

----------email--------------
BEWARE OF PAPER IN THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE

NEW WAY TO DO CAR JACKINGS


Heads up everyone! Please, keep this circulating...
You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside.
You start the engine and shift into Reverse.

When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your
parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of
the rear window.
So, you
shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to
remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your
view.
When you reach the back of your car, that is when the car jackers
appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off.
They practically mow you down as they speed off in your car.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car.

So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money,
and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now
compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS

NOW BEING USED....

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just
drive away.

Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this e-mail.

I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially
to women.

A purse contains all kinds of personal information and
identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Keep in mind- now it will look like a joke till it effects you for your car

Please keep this going.

---------------end of email----------
chanapli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 16:56   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,631
Thanked: 1,976 Times
Default

Hmmm... a very plain jane idea but will definitely work even if the mail is just a hoax. Most of the times people will jump out of the driver's seat without locking the car. A better idea is to visually inspect the car once before you unlock and get in.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 16:56   #3
BHPian
 
rishibravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 579
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

has such an incident happened in India... I know of mobile phone thefts happening by distraction but carjacking here ???
rishibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 17:18   #4
BHPian
 
appuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangy
Posts: 641
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

One of my colleagues had lost his laptop from his car. It happened this way.

He normally keeps his laptop in the rear seat. He comes to a junction where there is a long wait for green signal. He switches off the engine since the countdown is still at 120. The doors get unlocked automatically (thats how his remote/central locking system works). Exactly at this moment, somebody appears near the left side of the car, opens the door, picks up the bag/laptop and disappears into the traffic, all in split seconds. He was not even in a position to get out of the car fast since other vehicles were blocking his right side.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 17:34   #5
BHPian
 
ad75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

innovation at its best..eh

Is there any setting in autocop to avoid unlocking while we switch off the ignition? even if you were to arm the doors again it takes few secs.in the meantime someone can open the door.

In my brother's indigo only the driver's door lock opens when you swithc oof the ignition.dont know which brand is it as it was a freebee offered by the dealer.
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 17:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default

I once got robbed of a briefcse through an open window, so that was an unforgettable lesson. After that -
* I always drive with the windows closed (pollution was another reason for that)
* I got used to keeping my laptop/briefcase/camcorder bag either on the driver's side (behind my legs) or in the boot (dicky)

There is no alternative to being alert.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 17:59   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,631
Thanked: 1,976 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
In my brother's indigo only the driver's door lock opens when you swithc oof the ignition.dont know which brand is it as it was a freebee offered by the dealer.
Huh?! Howzzat? If the driver's door is open but the others remain locked you won't be able to open any other door through the master control (the driver's door lock latch). I can not understand how such a system will function. By the way, all the Tata central locking systems are OEM parts (just as any other accessory) and the same is manufactured by Minda-Huf. And they just open up all the doors.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 19:09   #8
BHPian
 
zoomingbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 110
Thanked: Once
Default

[quote=chanapli;464334]Just received an email , thought I will share ( no authenticity though)
Thanks a ton for sharing
zoomingbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 19:59   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
zenx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 74 Times
Default

Scary! I've somehow gotten into the habit of switching it off, and imdtly turning the key back to on again without cranking. Within those moments something could happen tho....
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 20:42   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 160
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Huh?! Howzzat? If the driver's door is open but the others remain locked you won't be able to open any other door through the master control (the driver's door lock latch). I can not understand how such a system will function. By the way, all the Tata central locking systems are OEM parts (just as any other accessory) and the same is manufactured by Minda-Huf. And they just open up all the doors.
It is true. I have Indigo SX and when I switch off only Driver's side unlocks. I can use remote to unlock others or close the drivers lock and open it again so that every other door gets unlocked.

If this is protecting me from thefts mentioned below , I aint got no problems


Also, it helps if you have an over enthusiastic 3 year old sitting in the back.
shankaranand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 21:01   #11
BHPian
 
leodelg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 229
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
He normally keeps his laptop in the rear seat. He comes to a junction where there is a long wait for green signal. He switches off the engine since the countdown is still at 120. The doors get unlocked automatically (thats how his remote/central locking system works). Exactly at this moment, somebody appears near the left side of the car, opens the door, picks up the bag/laptop and disappears into the traffic, all in split seconds. He was not even in a position to get out of the car fast since other vehicles were blocking his right side.
Yea true..... in the Baleno, the doors unlock the moment you switch off the engine. However, in the Swift, the doors unlock only when you remove the key from the ignition. Both the remote locking systems are company fit Nippon systems. Probably different models...
leodelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 15:36   #12
BHPian
 
menonrajesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 210
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
Yea true..... in the Baleno, the doors unlock the moment you switch off the engine. However, in the Swift, the doors unlock only when you remove the key from the ignition. Both the remote locking systems are company fit Nippon systems. Probably different models...
Yeah, it could depend on the company and the model..Mine is an "AutoCop" used in Swift and the doors unlock the moment the engine is switched off. I switch off the engine at long halts of red lights, but take care to switch on the ignition immediately so that doors get locked again!
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 18:28   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

In my Scorpio GLx of 2004 vintage, the OEM installed remote central locking system only unlocks the driver side door when the ignition is switched off. To open all the doors the unlock button has to be pressed again.. I dunno which make that system is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
innovation at its best..eh

Is there any setting in autocop to avoid unlocking while we switch off the ignition? even if you were to arm the doors again it takes few secs.in the meantime someone can open the door.

In my brother's indigo only the driver's door lock opens when you swithc oof the ignition.dont know which brand is it as it was a freebee offered by the dealer.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 00:59   #14
BHPian
 
TrueDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 273
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

So here is another reason for me to be happy with manual locking here.
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2008, 02:52   #15
BHPian
 
CorsaLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 387
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Can anyone please let me know which brand that security system is which unlocks only the driver door when ignition is turned off?

I need to get one installed in my car and think this wil be a better option.

Awaiting response.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Central Locking - new trick by thieves to open locked cars? Dieselone Modifications & Accessories 1 20th September 2011 11:56
New trick by Insurance companies Nikhilb2008 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 31 16th June 2009 20:40
Trick It Out yogi1771 Shifting gears 15 29th February 2008 19:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks