Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 26th June 2007, 11:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

I guess the speed limit for trucks is 40kmph or so.

Dont speed limits vary for HMV's and LMV's?
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 12:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the highway speed limit there is set at 40kmph.
I think U got CONNED!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 12:29   #33
Team-BHP Support

Either ways, what the cops feel is the rule which applies.
With no proper mention/display of the applicable speed limits, one doesnt stand a chance to argue, i feel.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 13:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What? You cant cross the speed limit when overtaking?
No you can't. If they say it's 40....40 it is. If speed limits were based on driving circumstances, the 40kmph limit wouldn't have been imposed, to begin with.

Quote:
I think U got CONNED!
I know it's hard to believe, but thats how it is.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th June 2007 at 13:45.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 13:44   #35
Team-BHP Support

one way to show how ridiculous these limits are: Take 5 friends along, each one drives at exactly 40kmph in all lanes of the highway. See the traffic jam that builds up behind you. That should get the point across to these stupid cops. This is something I always wanted to do!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 13:51   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I think U got CONNED!
No Nitrous anna, it indeed is 40kmph if this is the same road where Determinus got a ticket for doing 40+ in his Adventure.

Shan, can you identify if this is the same cop from the picture here - Speeding Ticket
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 16:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan, can you identify if this is the same cop from the picture here
I don't really rem the cops face but if he was caught for speeding over 40 (around Hubli), it has to be the same road.

Quote:
one way to show how ridiculous these limits are: Take 5 friends along, each one drives at exactly 40kmph in all lanes of the highway. See the traffic jam that builds up behind you. That should get the point across to these stupid cops. This is something I always wanted to do!
It shouldn't be a prob finding 5 guys wanting to teach the traffic officials a lesson. Lets have a "team-bhp drive at 40" meet. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 26th June 2007, 16:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is a good reason why each one of us should possess a radar detecting device in our cars and fool the police. Is there one that is been sold in India?
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 19:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Yeah, why don't we. Along with the standing launch and top-speed flyby that was suggested earlier. Break a coupla more laws while you're at it. Come on, let's go.

So now the cop does his job and he's stupid? You think the constable or whatever sets the speed limit? Man, I feel sorry for the guy. He does his job in the heat on the highway, doesn't even ask for a bribe, and you educated guys are sitting in the warmth (or cool) of your office/home and calling him stupid and trying to teach him a lesson.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 21:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, why don't we. Along with the standing launch and top-speed flyby that was suggested earlier. Break a coupla more laws while you're at it. Come on, let's go.
What'r you taking off about? I know you're the "I drive at 2000 rpm in 5th" kinda guy, but even so you're still doing 70kmph or more (well over the speed limit). Now ain't that breaking the law as well? Just bcoz it's the law, doesn't mean you have c**k up n follow it.

I can understand a limit of 80-100 but cmon man.......40 is insanely low.

Quote:
So now the cop does his job and he's stupid? You think the constable or whatever sets the speed limit? Man, I feel sorry for the guy. He does his job in the heat on the highway, doesn't even ask for a bribe, and you educated guys are sitting in the warmth (or cool) of your office/home and calling him stupid and trying to teach him a lesson.
This i agree with you. It ain't the cops fault. We were prob taking out our frustration on the wrong person.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th June 2007 at 21:08.
Old 26th June 2007, 21:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
What'r you taking off about? I know you're the "I drive at 2000 rpm in 5th" kinda guy, but even so you're still doing 70kmph or more (well over the speed limit). Now ain't that breaking the law as well? Just bcoz it's the law, doesn't mean you have c**k up n follow it.

I can understand a limit of 80-100 but cmon man.......40 is insanely low.

Quote:
This i agree with you. It ain't the cops fault. We were prob taking out our frustration on the wrong person.

Shan2nu
Now now.. dont fight

Actually maintaining 40kmph on highways would only cause accidents as you would get rear ended by a truck or something going at 80kmph.

Sorry buy enforcing a 40kmph speed limit is nothing but ridiculous. Has anyone seen highways under construction? they more hazardous than anything else without any signs or blinkers.. The cops should fine the coporators or maybe the Govt itself for causing these accidents.

@v1p3r>

Also not sure if you have been ever stopped by the cops.. but they take more money through bribes than actual fines with receipts. I ride a TN bike in bangalore for last 7 years.. I should know.

They NEVER do their duty of fining rash driving, autos who cut people off with sudden lane changes, how about the cops themselves going through 1 ways, parking in no parking zones and on the wrong side of the road, not wearing helmet? Are they above the Law? Dont think so..

Plus he stands on the highway qouting the 40kmph rule as he knows its easy money for someone willing to pay that 100Rs without the challan.

Traffic cops to me seem like the Road Mafia> I own the road I will cite a law for the day that suits my needs to fine you or get a bribe from you.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 21:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
...we were caught for doing 56kmph. Haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I think U got CONNED!
Nitrous, he wasnt conned.

Shan, Surprised that you were not aware of the limit and the enforcement on that stretch, esp after how long it has been going on.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 22:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
So now the cop does his job and he's stupid?
Yes, for following the letter of law and not the spirit of law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You think the constable or whatever sets the speed limit?
No, but he can be judicious when engorcing the speed limits. If the stretch of road is empty, you can definitely go a little over 40.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 23:02   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Shan sorry to say but being a resident of Hubli you ought to know the speed limit on this road. It was enforced almost a year back and yes it was set at 40kmph. When I visited Hubli during the Bombay speedrun the cops were standing right opposite to APMC. My uncle had warned me about it back then itself. And I saw them pulling over cars/bikes. I was driving a M800 then and made sure I drove slow. However stupid the speed limit may seem, dont you think you ought to do your homework?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 23:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

reading all the posts makes me think that probably the Highway authorities imposed this speed limit on that particular reason. Maybe some crazy accidents happening due to certain curves or angles on the road. Why dont we understand that & move on. Seems like this has been in vogue for a long time as well.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote