Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th June 2007, 00:50   #46
BHPian

[quote=mclaren1885;480719]However stupid the speed limit may seem, dont you think you ought to do your homework?[/quote]

Aren't the speed limits posted where they are prominently visible to all the drivers on the road?
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 01:00   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
However stupid the speed limit may seem, dont you think you ought to do your homework?
Aren't the speed limits posted where they are prominently visible to all the drivers on the road?
Mayavi, maybe there is a board. I don't remember seeing one (I don't often see speedbreakers either at night). Besides everyone in my family seems to know about the speed limit including my 70yr old grandmother who has never driven/ridden anything on wheels. And I don't think they had a dream about the speed limit being put to use. It must have come to their notice somewhere maybe through a sign board, word of mouth or an annoucement in the newspapers etc. Besides I am told that most locals of Hubli city, Unkal, Amargol, Dharwad are aware of this limit.

Besides this is India. I have seen a number of "No Parking" or "One Way" boards torn down by locals to suit themselves. Inspite of the authorities putting them up a million times. Maybe there could be one such incident here. If you wish I shall call up my folks back in Hubli and enquire about this issue.

The point I am trying to make is speed limits are set, cops are fining citizens accordingly. If you have issues instead of calling people who are doing their jobs names here why don't we go upto the authorities and make them understand the point? Its easy to be an arm chair critic.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th June 2007 at 01:08.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 01:30   #48
BHPian

aaaarghhhh... jaanedo yaar.
I ain't the one paying fines

Last edited by Mayavi : 27th June 2007 at 01:37.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 07:08   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
... probably the Highway authorities imposed this speed limit on that particular reason.
The road in between Hubli & Dharwad was a highway. It's been a few years since the by-pass came up, and the highway continues out-side the twin towns. The two cities have grown so much that one cant really make out the difference between the two.

Speed signs are posted. The cops are very conspicuous when they sit there with the radar guns. And it is not just one - I have seen upto 4 of them - 2 per direction.

OT: long distance busses & HTV's are also prohibited on that 20 km stretch.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 09:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shan sorry to say but being a resident of Hubli you ought to know the speed limit on this road. It was enforced almost a year back and yes it was set at 40kmph. When I visited Hubli during the Bombay speedrun the cops were standing right opposite to APMC. My uncle had warned me about it back then itself. And I saw them pulling over cars/bikes. I was driving a M800 then and made sure I drove slow. However stupid the speed limit may seem, dont you think you ought to do your homework?
Hell no!!! Even if i knew about the speed limit, i still wouldn't have followed it. Tomorrow they'l say you can't cross 40 on any national highway, what then? Are you gonna do your next Blore-Goa trip at 40? Think about it.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 10:37   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
reading all the posts makes me think that probably the Highway authorities imposed this speed limit on that particular reason. Maybe some crazy accidents happening due to certain curves or angles on the road. Why dont we understand that & move on. Seems like this has been in vogue for a long time as well.
John, there was a proposal from the transport minister here in Bangalore (KA) wherein he said that in order to reduce pollution on the roads, there should be only one car per family. Ironically, as mentioned by the TOI, he himself owns 2 cars, one of which is an SUV.

If this the way they think when making laws, i dont think we can be blamed for not obeying them. Similarly for the speed limits imposed here. Why do we even need highways then? Just another way to spend taxpayers money?!!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 12:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
reading all the posts makes me think that probably the Highway authorities imposed this speed limit on that particular reason. Maybe some crazy accidents happening due to certain curves or angles on the road. Why dont we understand that & move on. Seems like this has been in vogue for a long time as well.
Trust me, there's no curve on that stretch that can't be comfortably taken at more than 100kmph. You can check out the road on google earth (i've posted the link on post #16).

Shan2nu
Old 27th June 2007, 12:21   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Hell no!!! Even if i knew about the speed limit, i still wouldn't have followed it. Tomorrow they'l say you can't cross 40 on any national highway, what then? Are you gonna do your next Blore-Goa trip at 40? Think about it.
Shan2nu
Shan, we seem to be setting great examples from what I can see by really trying hard to brake the law. What next? Red lights slow me down, so I'l just drive through them without stopping? Though the only solution one may have is speed up in places where you know these guys aren't standing but drive slow where they are. Come to a compromise.

Btw, my last trip to bombay I didn't go over 80kmph from Bangalore to Pune. Instead what I suggest is walk up to the concerned authorities let them know what we citizens think about the insane speed limits. Make them understand. But are we willing to take such troubles? Right out a formal letter voicing out our concerns, mail it out to the traffic authorities or the concerned department of the ministry.
Old 27th June 2007, 12:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Biggest problem in India is that bypass roads become useless after 2-3 years of being constructed.. Entire communities develop around the bypass road. Infact, they cite the existence of the bypass to jack up land prices !!

Naturally the speed limit gets lowered to suit the ground realities.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 12:38   #55
Team-BHP Support

If you read the Motor Vehicles act, there is a section on speed limits.
It clearly gives the dimensions of the Speed limit board and also the minimum size of the writing on the board.
Only speed limits mentioned on such boards are legal.
In Delhi on most roads speed limits are mentioned properly, but at many places the writing is so small that you cannot make it out.
But the cops challan irrespective of whether the speed limit board is legal or not.
This is a case of "Above the law" attitude of law enforcement.
When law enforcement gets this "Above the law attitude" it leads to anarchy. This is not true just for roads, but in all cases.
Until I am treated with as much respect and equality as a ministers convoy gets on the road, all the rules they make which are applicable only to me and not to them are illegal.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 15:08   #56
rks
BANNED

40 kmph = 100 metres in 9 secs. Slightly faster than our best Olympic sprinters and about as fast as an elephant would run. A good cyclist on a suitable cycle can go faster than that. I suggest that T-BHP hire some good cycles and get a dozen youngsters to bike ahead of another layer of T-BHP vehicles (say, Skodas, Hondas, Balenos, etc.) on that road at speeds in excess of 40 kmph. And invite the cops to ticket them, and also invite the press to witness the event.

Seriously, I think a speed limit of 40 kmph on a highway can be struck down legally on several grounds:

1. Low FE due to driving in 3rd/4th gears. Increased pollution and higher expenses (both fuel and maintenance), which the middle class can ill afford.

2. Substantial increase in travel time, leading to loss of productivity and business losses.

3. Slow traffic and traffic jams lead to increased pollution.

Time to file a PIL against such absurd speed limits. If they come into force on the Mumbai-Pune route, I plan to change my travel time to early morning or late night to escape police checking.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 16:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan, we seem to be setting great examples from what I can see by really trying hard to brake the law. What next? Red lights slow me down, so I'l just drive through them without stopping?
You call driving at 40kmph on a NH, LAW? It's a bloody joke!!!

Quote:
Though the only solution one may have is speed up in places where you know these guys aren't standing but drive slow where they are. Come to a compromise.
And what example are we trying to set by doing this? Whether you do it in front of the cam or otherwise, you're still breaking the law.

Quote:
Btw, my last trip to bombay I didn't go over 80kmph from Bangalore to Pune
Thats travelling at the speed of light, the way these officials see it.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th June 2007 at 16:51.
Old 27th June 2007, 17:34   #58
BANNED

Quote:
You call driving at 40kmph on a NH, LAW? It's a bloody joke!!!
Joke or not now its the bloody LAW officially. So follow it. If you don't wish to, keep paying fines. And according to TOI today repeated offenders will have their license canceled or a 6 months suspension. So one cannot just get away by only paying fines anymore.

Quote:
And what example are we trying to set by doing this? Whether you do it in front of the cam or otherwise, you're still breaking the law.
I was just giving you an alternative to paying heavy fines and then come and complain here. Instead relax on certain stretches, thereby keeping the cops unpleased for not speeding. Now, you are happy and so will a few of us here too not having to listen to names being called to some cops who are doing their jobs however ridiculous the law maybe, honestly. If not pay a fine once everyday and then you are free to speed anywhere in the state and not pay a fine for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Thats travelling at the speed of light, the way these officials see it.
Don't worry I will choose roads based on their limits next time onwards. Preferably roads which atleast have their limits at 80 or thereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I suggest that T-BHP hire some good cycles and get a dozen youngsters to bike ahead of another layer of T-BHP vehicles (say, Skodas, Hondas, Balenos, etc.) on that road at speeds in excess of 40 kmph. And invite the cops to ticket them, and also invite the press to witness the event.
I would love to see this happen though.
Old 27th June 2007, 17:53   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Yeah, why don't we. Along with the standing launch and top-speed flyby that was suggested earlier. Break a coupla more laws while you're at it. Come on, let's go.
huh. Just saw this. Which part of "each one drives at exactly 40kmph" did you misunderstand as breaking the law?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 18:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tomorrow they'l say you can't cross 40 on any national highway, what then? Are you gonna do your next Blore-Goa trip at 40?
I'll fly to Goa. Probably cheaper too. But I'd try and not break the law.

Quote:
What'r you taking off about? I know you're the "I drive at 2000 rpm in 5th" kinda guy, but even so you're still doing 70kmph or more (well over the speed limit). Now ain't that breaking the law as well? Just bcoz it's the law, doesn't mean you have c**k up n follow it.
Depends on where the speed limit is. In BLR it's 60 kmph in some places, and 20 in some. It's your town that has 40, and I suggest you try and follow it. And having a law means you cock up and follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
huh. Just saw this. Which part of "each one drives at exactly 40kmph" did you misunderstand as breaking the law?
Oh I didn't misunderstand. I was referring to your calling the cops stupid and Shan2nu inviting everyone to do a standing kilometre. Like :

Quote:
Hell no!!! Even if i knew about the speed limit, i still wouldn't have followed it.
I'm surprised comments like this are allowed.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote