Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th June 2007, 18:10   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh I didn't misunderstand. I was referring to your calling the cops stupid
Since when did that become against the law?

P.s. You do know that modifying your car in any way is also against the law don't you. So is changing engines on bikes, etc etc.

Let me know when you get off your horse
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 18:28   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Since when did that become against the law?

P.s. You do know that modifying your car in any way is also against the law don't you. So is changing engines on bikes, etc etc.

Let me know when you get off your horse
Now which one of my cars is modified in any way? And I don't even own a bike. For that matter, I don't own any cars either.

So hey wait, your friend breaks the law, that's ok, don't castigate him, point fingers at others and call the cops stupid. Real mature.

I'm outta here.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 22:07   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
And having a law means you cock up and follow it.
while you are working to have it changed if it doesn't make any sense.

It would be a sad day when all the citizens follow laws without questioning their relevance or the rationale behind such law. Afterall these laws are made by none other than our elected representatives/beaureacrats who are not always the brightest bulbs in all fields.

It is not just traffic laws, all kinds of laws need to be reviewed frequently and changed to suit the time. Do you know that half the things that modern day Indians do in their bedrooms(which we get to watch on DesiTorrents) are illegal according to the IPC?
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 22:32   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
You call driving at 40kmph on a NH, LAW? It's a bloody joke!!!
IMHO, calling that particular 20km stretch, a NH, is the joke.

Shan, reading your posts gives me a message that you care a hoot about the laws & rules in place. The limits are not just for specific people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Trust me, there's no curve on that stretch that can't be comfortably taken at more than 100kmph.
May be no curves. That particular stretch of road has atleast two professional educational institutions, three major hospitals, a temple, an APMC yard, the Police commissioner's office, the RTO, industries, workshops, and what not. And you want to use that as a drag strip ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Depends on where the speed limit is. In BLR it's 60 kmph in some places, and 20 in some. It's your town that has 40, and I suggest you try and follow it. And having a law means you cock up and follow it.
And, appreciate the cops and local authorities for having sustained that enforcement for a year or more now.

Last edited by condor : 27th June 2007 at 22:39.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 22:51   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That particular stretch of road has atleast two professional educational institutions, three major hospitals, a temple, an APMC yard, the Police commissioner's office, the RTO, and what not. And you want to use that as a drag strip ?
Add to that a lake which is normally used as a recreational hang out place for school kids, two primary and high schools apart from the BVB College and SDM Colleges that you mentioned, atleast 5 or more showrooms of bikes, cars and trucks, 3 star hotels, a weekly market from where cars/bikes/autos/animals keep zipping straight onto the road without even caring for other vehicles. Infact scene on this road is so bad that they have now introduced speedbreakers in front of the bus depot, schools, near the lake, then at the colleges from what I can recollect (and I don't think Hubli is used to speadbreakers) and near the turn off to the airport was also maybe Hubli's 1st traffic SIGNAL. No wonder the speed limit is set at 40.
Honestly speaking I would not do 120 on that stretch EVER. Maybe 60-80 will be my max speed. But that too seems impossible these days with the high number of trucks, lorries, buses, tractors & even bullock carts traversing that road in huge numbers.

Shan, honestly I agree that 40kmph is too slow. Maybe 60 was a fair limit. If you want to drive fast try the NH to Belgaum after getting out of Dharwad. Roads are fabulous and most often than not EMPTY. Like this:

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th June 2007 at 23:06.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 22:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

This discussion seems to be getting seriously off topic. Folks blaming each other for obeying/ not obeying traffic laws. Come on guys, everyone breaks the law, especially the traffic rules. I am sure there is not a single soul in this forum or in this country who can stand up & say that he is clean. If someone does, either he is the biggest hypocrite or he is plain stupid & cannot be taken seriously. Shan feels the 40Kmph highway rule is absurd, so do many others here, but some of us are forcing him to obey it while everyone enjoys major (illegal) mods & break the simplest of rules all the time knowing fully well how corrupt our system is & how easily we can get off with a little bit of money. Let us shed these inhibitions & learn to accept facts of life, shall we folks ???

P.S. Yes, it is quite possible that I am an old man & this is my rant, so cheer up

Last edited by esteem_lover : 27th June 2007 at 22:57.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 23:12   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Come on guys, everyone breaks the law, especially the traffic rules. I am sure there is not a single soul in this forum or in this country who can stand up & say that he is clean.
Agreed, but most of us will not go onto say " Hell no!!! Even if i knew about the speed limit, i still wouldn't have followed it."

Quote:
but some of us are forcing him to obey it while everyone enjoys major (illegal) mods & break the simplest of rules all the time knowing fully well how corrupt our system is & how easily we can get off with a little bit of money.
Yes, I have a modded ride. I know its against the law. I am ready to face the risk of getting caught or having my car seized by the cops. But, I would certainly not want to get caught for having hurt/killed someone because of overspeeding. Knowing very well that I could have avoided it by being slow, well atleast within sane limits unlike shan's claim of 120kmph. I try to follow traffic rules as much as possible, but would never go onto say I will not publically or to myself.

PS: Mods somehow I forgot to click the resize caption on imageshack. Can someone kindly resize the pic?

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th June 2007 at 23:19.
Old 28th June 2007, 20:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on where the speed limit is. In BLR it's 60 kmph in some places, and 20 in some. It's your town that has 40, and I suggest you try and follow it. And having a law means you cock up and follow it.
So you've never crossed 60 in Blore is it? Yeah right!!! Try playing the "Nice Guy" someplace else dude coz it sure ain't gonna work on this forum.

Quote:
I'm surprised comments like this are allowed.
I'm surprised laws like these are being allowed and i'm more surprised that you guyz are supporting it.

Quote:
Oh I didn't misunderstand. I was referring to your calling the cops stupid and Shan2nu inviting everyone to do a standing kilometre. Like :
Don't forget, i was once in your car while you were doing 150-160 on the outer ring road trying to outrun a modified Baleno. That was easily more than a standing kilometer.

And what about the sunday drive on Hosur road, you were proudly claiming to have done insane speeds. You're no diff dude.

Quote:
IMHO, calling that particular 20km stretch, a NH, is the joke.

Shan, reading your posts gives me a message that you care a hoot about the laws & rules in place. The limits are not just for specific people.
In this particular case, no i don't. We all know that 40kmph on a NH is way too slow.

Quote:
May be no curves. That particular stretch of road has atleast two professional educational institutions, three major hospitals, a temple, an APMC yard, the Police commissioner's office, the RTO, industries, workshops, and what not. And you want to use that as a drag strip ?
Looks like some of you guys really took the drag thing seriously. Hehe

Every road has something or the other dude. Doing high speeds on any highway is illegal. We're all guilty of having broken the law and i don't deny it.

Quote:
Agreed, but most of us will not go onto say " Hell no!!! Even if i knew about the speed limit, i still wouldn't have followed it."
Maybe most of us don't have the courage to say "Hell No" but still......we go ahead and do it behind their backs (same difference). If the speed limit was 80kmph, i'd have definately followed it. But not at 40, surely not.

Quote:
Yes, I have a modded ride. I know its against the law. I am ready to face the risk of getting caught or having my car seized by the cops. But, I would certainly not want to get caught for having hurt/killed someone because of overspeeding. Knowing very well that I could have avoided it by being slow, well atleast within sane limits unlike shan's claim of 120kmph. I try to follow traffic rules as much as possible, but would never go onto say I will not publically or to myself.
So why are you publicizing the fact that you have an illegally modified car? Why don't you make it bone stock for regular use and use the mods exclusively during drag and track meets?

Why have the extra bhp when you don't need it?

And since we're on the "harming people" topic, i don't think your car has a catcon (mine does). So technically, the pollution levels of your car is more harmful to the environment than mine (which includes not only humans but everything around). These are small things than make a big diff. And yet, you're willing to take a chance. Amazing.....

Anyway guys, this is way off topic so i just wanna say, 40kmph on a NH is not the way to go. If i have to speak with the officials, i don't mind doing that. Not sure if i can break it into their heads though, but still worth a try.

If any of you guyz were offended by some of my comments, lets just leave it all on the forum. No use fighting among ourselves, i need to change the way these officials think and i can't do it without your support.

I'm sure you all agree that 40kmph is too slow for a NH. Just tell me what needs to be done and i'l do it.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 21:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Didn't want to come back here, but it seems like the mods are asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Try playing the "Nice Guy" someplace else dude coz it sure ain't gonna work on this forum.
So basically you think everybody on TBHP should be mean, underhanded, nasty, law-breakers?

Quote:
I'm surprised laws like these are being allowed and i'm more surprised that you guyz are supporting it.
Call your local corporator/MLA/MP and ask him/her to change the freaking law then. Don't bleat about how you broke it and expect us to support you.

Quote:
Don't forget, i was once in your car while you were doing 150-160 on the outer ring road trying to outrun a modified Baleno. That was easily more than a standing kilometer.
That particular stretch of tarmac is under 500m, and there was, at the time, no speed limit there. You forget, I live there and know the road and its laws.

Quote:
And what about the sunday drive on Hosur road, you were proudly claiming to have done insane speeds. You're no diff dude.
IIRC, I was BEHIND you, trying hard to keep up. And again, I saw no speed limits posted. If I did, then it would have been breaking the law.

Do you mean to say, since I did it, it's ok for you to do it? Since when have you started justifying your actions, legal or otherwise, based on my past?

Quote:
Looks like some of you guys really took the drag thing seriously. Hehe
Actually, we don't take much you say seriously. But this is a public forum and such comments can be misconstrued as encouraging street/illegal racing.
Quote:
Sell the Vtec and the Innova and buy a couple of M800s.

Quote:
And since we're on the "harming people" topic, i don't think your car has a catcon (mine does). So technically, the pollution levels of your car is more harmful to the environment than mine (which includes not only humans but everything around).
And how can you conclusively prove that his car is more polluting? Did you do an emission test? Or is this just another one of your 'facts' that are 'hehe not to be taken seriously'.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 21:28   #70
rks
BANNED

Quote:
[...] i just wanna say, 40kmph on a NH is not the way to go. If i have to speak with the officials, i don't mind doing that. Not sure if i can break it into their heads though, but still worth a try.

[....] i need to change the way these officials think and i can't do it without your support.

I'm sure you all agree that 40kmph is too slow for a NH. Just tell me what needs to be done and i'l do it.
Let us fact facts. Trying to knock sense into our officials is about as futile as trying to rid the world of cobwebs.

I am convinced that our officials/bureaucrats are resentful and envious of the affluent class that owns sleek automobiles and want to make life difficult for them. This, apart from sheer technical incompetence, is one of the reasons for the terrible and chaotic road conditions that exist in our country today and the utter indifference of our officials. They would rather fill up our roads with speed-breakers and harass vehicle users with absurd speed limits than improve the driving conditions. Secondly they are, almost by reflex, resistant to change of any sort ("This is the way it has been for the past 30 years").

These absurd speed limits were formulated in the British age and even then they were hardly appropriate and were widely ignored. On the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, there are speed limits of 30 kmph in several stretches where it is possible to exceed 100 kmph and most cars are doing 70-90. Slowing down to 30 kmph in those stretches would be nothing less than insanely dangerous, apart from being totally unnecessary.

The only way forward is for automobile owners/users to unite and form a strong lobby that will not hesitate to get legal redress for their grievances. In Germany, the Porsche/BMW/Benz owners are powerful politically and have kept the autobahns free of speed limits despite shrill protests from various groups, including environmentalists. But it will take a long time before automobile owners in India develop such clout, if at all that day will ever materialize.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 21:32   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

MOD NOTE:
I think this topic has had enough discussion. If you guys plan on making a petition to the local authorities, please do so and start a new thread to go over its progress.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 22:52   #72
BANNED

Quote:
So why are you publicizing the fact that you have an illegally modified car? Why don't you make it bone stock for regular use and use the mods exclusively during drag and track meets?

And since we're on the "harming people" topic, i don't think your car has a catcon (mine does). So technically, the pollution levels of your car is more harmful to the environment than mine (which includes not only humans but everything around). These are small things than make a big diff. And yet, you're willing to take a chance. Amazing.....
I am not trying to publicize the fact, I was just answering esteem lovers point. Infact, why don't you go to my gallery before shooting out comments. Infact, my car is running bone stock now (almost except for air filter & headers which hardly gives me any bhp gains?). I have a separate engine going to be used for track/drags only.

I don't use the extra bhp most often than not, seeing that I can't afford fuel (annoyingly most people here think I am rich, I am not. Though I have had to plan out a lot to go ahead and carry out the mods). Infact its been over 1 month or more since I got a chance to drive my car. Infact the last time I took my car to 100kmph or more was at the Nandi Hills drive. Before that was when I went to Bombay I guess. So generally I don't speed . The few occasions I do is on good stretches of roads where I deem them to be safe.

Well again, let me correct you. My car is running a catcon now. Didn't pass the emission test, so reverted back to catcon for city use besides my parents found the noise to be highly irritating on highway drives. Now? Besides the chances of you killing someone by overspeeding is far more than my catcon I am sure. That applies to me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2nu
Maybe most of us don't have the courage to say "Hell No" but still......we go ahead and do it behind their backs (same difference).
HELL NO! Were you serious? see I don't talk behind people's back.

Quote:
If the speed limit was 80kmph, i'd have definately followed it. But not at 40, surely not.
Boss, atleast most often than not I shall try to follow the rules. Yes, I may break it once in a while, atleast I shall not pronounce that I am going to disobey no matter what comes.

Shan, I completely agree to you that 40 is too low. But now that its a law, try and follow it. That road is hazardous, you must know. We all break rules at some point or the other, but atleast make an attempt not to.

Well what you need to do is right out a letter to the concerned authorities with all the points to make them understand why a speed limit of 40kmph is not right. Than calling the cops names for doing the right thing or going about shouting saying "You will not follow the rules come what may" . Once you are done with the letter let me know, maybe I will try to put in a word to the officials through my family. Still have some high level contacts all thanks to my grandpa who served the city as a two time MLA and a minister. Do keep me informed.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 28th June 2007 at 22:58.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:52   #73
BHPian

Default Ticket for speeding at 57 KMPH on Mysore Nanjangud road

Hi,

I was issued a ticket for speeding yesterday on my way from Mysore to Nanjangud soon after the airport.

I was told that the speed limit on that stretch is 50 KMPH. I did a reading of the Mysore Traffic police website, but couldnt get any info on the speed limit.

I was under the impression that on state highways the speed limit was 70 KMPH.

I was not given a print out with the co ordinates/ speed nor did they entertain my request to mention the speed. They would only write overspeeding.

Is there any comprehensive website that lists speed limits on Indian roads?
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 12:56   #74
BHPian

Default Re: Ticket for speeding at 57 KMPH on Mysore Nanjangud road

I'm not sure about a website but every time I have been issued a speeding ticket, I have ensured I collect my photo and the exact speed of my vehicle mentioned on it. They do give you these print outs if you insist/argue.
Added_flavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 13:10   #75
BHPian

Default Re: Ticket for speeding at 57 KMPH on Mysore Nanjangud road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Hi,

I was issued a ticket for speeding yesterday on my way from Mysore to Nanjangud soon after the airport.

I was told that the speed limit on that stretch is 50 KMPH. I did a reading of the Mysore Traffic police website, but couldnt get any info on the speed limit.

I was under the impression that on state highways the speed limit was 70 KMPH.

I was not given a print out with the co ordinates/ speed nor did they entertain my request to mention the speed. They would only write overspeeding.

Is there any comprehensive website that lists speed limits on Indian roads?
The traffic police has a speedgun installed there? I don't know about the speed limit on this highway, but I have seen cars travelling in much higher speeds in this roads when there is no truck traffic to deter them! This stretch of the road also has a lot of village population plying in cycles, 2-wheelers, autos without any regards to other traffic. Moreover I have seen buses and cars overtaking others on the wrong side of the road. Its better to be in safe speeds in this road , and also be on your guard because you must not trust other road users. I am a little wary while travelling on this road now, after my accident near Nanjangud in Jan 2013 ( link (My experience with an accident, and what I learnt) ).
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote