Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th November 2013, 14:01   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ticket for speeding at 57 KMPH on Mysore Nanjangud road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc
I was told that the speed limit on that stretch is 50 KMPH. I did a reading of the Mysore Traffic police website, but couldnt get any info on the speed limit. I was under the impression that on state highways the speed limit was 70 KMPH. Is there any comprehensive website that lists speed limits on Indian roads?
Speed limits are not constant. They change (increase or decrease) based on the stretch of road, traffic conditions, proximity of schools / hospitals etc. So, while an open stretch of the road might indeed have the highest speed limit of 70kmph, another stretch might see it come down to 50 or even 40kmph. So we need to look out for the speed-limit boards put up along the road.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th November 2013 at 14:03.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 14:03   #77
Senior - BHPian

Though I agree with Ankan.m.blr's view of this road unsafe for higher speed, I feel 50KMPH is bit too low a speed limit to enforce in non - town / village area.
Also Vu2pmc, that route is not part of SH but NH 212. I have seen Chamarnagar police vehicles with speed guns waiting near Gundulpet - KL border area, not sure what was the speed limit they were imposing though.

I guess they should increase the speed limit to say 70 / 80 KMPH, this 50 KMPH limit will only help in them getting some money (which may be their ultimate aim).
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 15:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

In Tamil Nadu, at least on the Salem-Kanyakumari stretch, I have seen speed limit board of 20 KMPH starting 1Km before the toll booths. Once I thought of respecting this speed limit, but was afraid of getting rear ended. I would love to know the thought process behind these speed limits.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 14:41   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
... I would love to know the thought process behind these speed limits.
Very simple: "We do not have any role or responsibility in case of an accident. We told you to go slow. Like, REALLY slow".

No, really, it is a complete travesty of what is normally done the world over. In India, *none* of the responsible people apply their minds to the traffic situation in different places. The decision is usually local, and differs from the recommendations from the Govt. highway design agency. The local cops are usually ultra cautious so that no one can point fingers at them when an eventuality actually manifests. Like declaring "He didn't have a license to ...", as if it is guaranteed that a license obviates problems. They are usually dodging illogical / irrational imaginary questions from local politicians in the interest of not being pulled up or transferred. That is where the "20 kmph" comes from, so they can say "What can we do? We have imposed a speed limit. Whaaaat to do saar, public doesn't obey only".

In other countries, if a highway speed limit is 130 and one is approaching a toll booth, they place Speed Limit boards with gradually reducing limits, e.g. 110, then 90, then 60, then 30. Ditto for highway exits. The boards are prominent, and the slowest speed usually is at least 300-400m before the toll lanes start - so that drivers can choose the correct lane (cash, automat, tag reader etc.). Also, traffic discipline minimizes the tendency to go haring across to a shorter queue (unlike what one sees at Indian toll lanes).

It all boils down to basic traffic education - missing in India. The speed limit usually indicates a speed beyond which the probability of an accident increases exponentially. It is not that beyond that limit an accident is guaranteed to happen. It is supposed to scientifically calculated and specified so that one can relate to it. But then, like for most things in India we are waiting for a general increase in literacy before actually imparting education.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 15:42   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Very simple: "We do not have any role or responsibility in case of an accident. We told you to go slow. Like, REALLY slow"..
You misunderstood.
It is
"We do not care two hoots about safety or your life or anybodies life. All we care is that the new speed gun we bought should pay for itself and then be a profit making machine".
So instead of using the speed gun to catch that rash driver on a busy public road zig zagging at 90kmph, its better to hide behind the bushes on a deserted road and set 40kmph limit.
Saving lives from that rash driver will earn us only 300-400a day, while bushing on a new stretch will earn us lakhs for a couple of months until people get wise.

Then we move to the new stretch.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 15:53   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
Hi,

I was issued a ticket for speeding yesterday on my way from Mysore to Nanjangud soon after the airport.

I was told that the speed limit on that stretch is 50 KMPH. I did a reading of the Mysore Traffic police website, but couldnt get any info on the speed limit.

I was under the impression that on state highways the speed limit was 70 KMPH.

I was not given a print out with the co ordinates/ speed nor did they entertain my request to mention the speed. They would only write overspeeding.

Is there any comprehensive website that lists speed limits on Indian roads?
I know this 50KMPH rule exists on the Nanjangud-Mysore highway close to Mysore town (From around the Mysore Bypass area till the town). There are boards every few 100 meters indicating this. I had been warned by a couple of friends who got caught on this stretch. But getting stopped beyond Mysore airport seems strange as that is more than 10 km outside the town and I have not seen any boards in that area.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 16:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
In Tamil Nadu, at least on the Salem-Kanyakumari stretch, I have seen speed limit board of 20 KMPH starting 1Km before the toll booths. Once I thought of respecting this speed limit, but was afraid of getting rear ended. I would love to know the thought process behind these speed limits.

My office basement has a speed limit of 15kmph, it is absolutely obsurd that a NH can have the same limit.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 16:34   #83
BHPian

Thanks for the info. Apparently they have recently installed a speed limit board near to the TVS factory after the aquaduct.

I did write to the Mysore Police and they did reply. I guess, I have be extremely careful driving on those roads now to avoid any further tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I know this 50KMPH rule exists on the Nanjangud-Mysore highway close to Mysore town (From around the Mysore Bypass area till the town). There are boards every few 100 meters indicating this. I had been warned by a couple of friends who got caught on this stretch. But getting stopped beyond Mysore airport seems strange as that is more than 10 km outside the town and I have not seen any boards in that area.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 17:37   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You misunderstood. ...
The Speed Guns are only in large cities, that too visible only at the end of the month or before elections. Outside city limits, and in rural areas, Speed Guns are as common as Jedi swords. If you spot one away from the City, you can be sure someone is out on picnic using that vehicle, and they harbor no intention of using the radar on anyone.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 00:29   #85
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Bro got a speeding ticket.....guess for doing what speeds!

So here I was, driving through Udupi on a 4 lane road in front of MGM college. Suddenly a cop jumps in front of me and hails me to the side. I figured it must be one of those election time checking for black money. But the cop is not interested in the content of my vehicle. He wants me to go meet the SI at the police van. Now I am really confused. I walked to the officer and asked him the reason for the hold up.

He: You were speeding.
Me: What? What was my speed?
He: You were doing 55.
Me: What is the speed limit?
He: 50

I was stunned, my very first speeding ticket in Karnataka is for doing 55 in 50 zone? I was about to question him, and then I realised I was probably making 55. So I paid the Rs.300 fine and drove away.

Later I reviewed the dashcam video. I am unable to locate the traffic radar and also wondering how they picked me from the bunch. Also notice all the helmet-less riders passing next to me after I stopped. Somehow, doing 55kmph is more dangerous than helmet-less riding in this town.

Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 00:40   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
nd drove away.

Later I reviewed the dashcam video. I am unable to locate the traffic radar and also wondering how they picked me from the bunch. A

I think there was a interceptor
Attached Images

sandeep3in is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 01:36   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Ignoring the helmet less driver doesn't make your offence any less right? You were doing 55 in a 50 kmph zone. I don't see how are the cops wrong in this.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 08:05   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
I think there was a interceptor
I see the interceptor, is the radar roof mounted? The cop who stopped me was at least 100ft away from the interceptor. How does this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Ignoring the helmet less driver doesn't make your offence any less right? You were doing 55 in a 50 kmph zone. I don't see how are the cops wrong in this.
Well, think about it. Is it fair to set 50kmph speed limit on a 4-lane road? Let's say they are being extra safety conscious, so they fined me for doing 55. However, that is lot less dangerous than driving without helmet or seat belt. But Udupi police do nothing about that, therefore 95% of riders don't wear helmet here.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 08:14   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Samurai (Bro got a speeding ticket.....guess for doing what speeds!) : I see the interceptor, is the radar roof mounted?
I havent seen a roof-mounted interceptor here, yet. The ones I have seen all seem to have the equipment inside. The rear door is opened when they are at work.

Quote:
Samurai (Bro got a speeding ticket.....guess for doing what speeds!) : Well, think about it. Is it fair to set 50kmph speed limit on a 4-lane road?
Rationality ? Wonder if they know what that is.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 08:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I see the interceptor, is the radar roof mounted? The cop who stopped me was at least 100ft away from the interceptor. How does this work?

These vehicles did have roof mounted equipment when they were launched, but now none of them do for whatever reasons. The guy sitting manning the camera shouts on the loudspeaker , the number or description of the speeding vehicle to the cops standing outside. Not sure why they stand away from the cop jeep though.
tharian is online now   Reply With Quote