Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th April 2014, 09:53   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Bro got a speeding ticket.....guess for doing what speeds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am unable to locate the traffic radar and also wondering how they picked me from the bunch.
The guy manning the speed camera shouts out the description of the car along with either the last 4 digits of your number or the entire thing via a loud speaker. The friendly constables standing 50mtrs away get the same info via the 2 way radio.
Vehicles are picked up randomly. So if 5 cars are speeding, they may stop the 2nd or the last of every consecutive one. It also depends on how big (Read expensive looking) the vehicle is.
I have been pulled over many times for riding a superbike in the city albeit slowly. If you are in riding gear, you WILL be stopped. I just stand and watch the commotion till they are done checking my docs.

Cheers!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 09:54   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I see the interceptor, is the radar roof mounted? The cop who stopped me was at least 100ft away from the interceptor. How does this work?
The cop who stopped you is holding a walkie talkie. Once the interceptor picked you up, the guy inside would have radioed to the cop in front to stop you.

Standard practice on hosur road.

Did you ask to see the screen grab of overspeeding?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 10:13   #93
BHPian

Paid Rs. 300/- for doing 87 kmph in a 80 kmph zone on Hebbal airport flyover. Thanks to the speed masking capabilities of a Jetta.
What surprised me was how cops were shouting on the loud speaker to stop a speeding middle aged woman driver calling her Aunty. All of them were mocking her saying "Aunty, Aunty, donot try to run...Yes Green aunty...Yes...Come this side...Hey Basava...Catch that Aunty...donot leave her...". Actually felt quite insulting. More so the lady was very embarrassed infront of the crowd waiting to pay their fines.
Sanjubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 12:54   #94
BHPian

There is a stretch of road on ORR between Hebbal flyover and Manyata Tech park where invariably you would have some cops stationed to stop and fine speeding motorists. The cops are positioned exactly adjacent to Lumbini Gardens. This "checking" is more virulent on weekends. I am aware of this and therefore always take care not to fall foul of mandated limits on this stretch.

Last Saturday, I was doing 40kmph in my car and got stopped for speeding! Surprise, surprise - there was no interceptor stationed on that road and it was obvious that the cops were arbitrarily stopping motorists and harassing them. I challenged the cops to prove that I was speeding and the inspector could not prove this (there was no interceptor). Seeing that he could not justify a speeding ticket - the inspector pointed out to the MH registration on my car changed track on the "offense". Much to the dismay of the cops - I produced the Karnataka registration documents. Seeing no other "offense/violation" which he could pin on me he waved me off.

So lesson learnt - cops play on your conscience when they come up with a speeding offense especially when they don't have a speedgun/interceptor to monitor the same.
Rajeev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 13:17   #95
Team-BHP Support

There is a short stretch of road near Chandani Chowk in Pune which goes steeply downhill and where the Bombay-Bangalore highway merges with a very busy city road. It is a one-way (not always observed) and unmonitored (no signals). Traffic merges both ways PLUS there is a U turn just ahead to join the Northbound highway underpass.

Naturally the spot is a magnet for accidents. After the last major one, the authorities have set a speed limit of 10 kmph on this stretch.

That's right. 10.

I tried an experiment once (not advisable to replicate) in the early morning when traffic was low. Just go as slow as you can. Even at 30 you feel you are blocking traffic. It is virtually impossible to maintain 10 on that stretch safely. You WILL cause an accident if you adhere to the limit.

Will try and post a video of this spot once my dashcam is installed.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 15:29   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, think about it. Is it fair to set 50kmph speed limit on a 4-lane road? Let's say they are being extra safety conscious, so they fined me for doing 55. However, that is lot less dangerous than driving without helmet or seat belt. But Udupi police do nothing about that, therefore 95% of riders don't wear helmet here.
Its not about being rational. Most of our prevailing laws aren't. But until we change them, the current law is the law. And your brother was found at the wrong side of it. If they would have stopped the helmet less rider and let your brother go, then that person could have made the same arguement. At the end of the day they would not be able to catch everyone. I know its more complex then that but you can't help it and rather are just better off following the rule. These interceptors are there to make money. That is the reason why in Delhi I see them so many times stationed at the end of a flyover where even a car following the speed limit would tend to cross it by a few notches while going downhill. And thats where they will arrogantly stop you and challan.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 16:17   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Its not about being rational. Most of our prevailing laws aren't. But until we change them, the current law is the law. And your brother was found at the wrong side of it. If they would have stopped the helmet less rider and let your brother go, then that person could have made the same arguement. At the end of the day they would not be able to catch everyone. I know its more complex then that but you can't help it and rather are just better off following the rule. These interceptors are there to make money. That is the reason why in Delhi I see them so many times stationed at the end of a flyover where even a car following the speed limit would tend to cross it by a few notches while going downhill. And thats where they will arrogantly stop you and challan.
Unfortunately the truth is not that they can't fine everyone it's because they choose to stop cars over 2 wheelers because it's easier to get money. You may argue over this but it's the truth.

The interceptor on route to my office will not stop Volvo buses or majority 2 wheelers but cars are immediately pulled over.

Look at this way if the speed limit is 50kmph, and you have 2 offenders one doing 100 and other 55 which would you fine?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 18:02   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Look at this way if the speed limit is 50kmph, and you have 2 offenders one doing 100 and other 55 which would you fine?
Is there a right answer to this question? To me it sounds rhetorical. Since when have we started judging motor vehicle laws in terms of magnitude of the offence in a particular law? Both 55 and 100 kmph are wrong and challaning just one is not a reflection on the good or bad of the other driver.

On a lighter note, once a cop told me that with interceptors they vary the amount of fine depending upon how much above the speed limit you are driving.
Old 12th April 2014, 19:32   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, think about it. Is it fair to set 50kmph speed limit on a 4-lane road?
Just because it is 4 lane road does not mean that it should have a 60kmph or more speed limit. Looking at the video, you just crossed a pedestrian crossing. The traffic around you looks like city traffic. I think 50 is fair limit. It does not look like a limited access road either.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 20:16   #100
BHPian

I was "caught overspeeding" two years back when trying to enter Hubli. Instead of taking the bypass, if one enters Hubli, take care not to exceed 40 kmph. I stopped and checked with the cops for which I was showed on the radar screen that my car's speed was 43 kmph. The distance from which I was tracked was 2 kms. I had to reduce my speed from 90 kmph as I remembered my brother had mentioned the interceptor. There is nothing on this NH4 stretch, neither the traffic nor the road width, which warrants reducing the speed down to 40 kmph.

Similar is the case when one enters Dharwad from Belgaum side. Interestingly this is the only stretch where I see all the vehicles "crawling" below 40 kmph.
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 20:57   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

@AltoLXI, on that stretch, limit for cars is 50 kmph. Others are at 40 kmph

All, so we seem to be back at discussing the same points as in the early part of this thread ?

Last edited by condor : 12th April 2014 at 20:59.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 10:03   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I was "caught overspeeding" two years back when trying to enter Hubli. Instead of taking the bypass, if one enters Hubli, take care not to exceed 40 kmph. I stopped and checked with the cops for which I was showed on the radar screen that my car's speed was 43 kmph. The distance from which I was tracked was 2 kms. I had to reduce my speed from 90 kmph as I remembered my brother had mentioned the interceptor. There is nothing on this NH4 stretch, neither the traffic nor the road width, which warrants reducing the speed down to 40 kmph.

Similar is the case when one enters Dharwad from Belgaum side. Interestingly this is the only stretch where I see all the vehicles "crawling" below 40 kmph.
I was also caught in the exact same spot an year ago. They have also cleverly positioned themselves in that spot. They know people will be in the mindset of doing higher speeds because they would have been traveling on the highway till that point. I was caught doing 55 kmph
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 10:16   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the next most common money making strategy of the cops manning these interceptor units. Station yourself where the highway merges with the city limits. The roads are still the same: well laid, open and empty. There are no prominent sign boards saying that speed limit now has suddenly reduced from 80 kmph to 40 kmph. And most drivers continue to treat the road as a highway and think that they are driving within the allowed limit. In North I have seen this every time while entering Delhi from GT Karnal road. Even got challaned the first time for Rs 400 for doing 63 kmph.
Old 13th April 2014, 11:18   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Did you ask to see the screen grab of overspeeding?
No, I didn't bother because it was very likely I was doing 55kmph. So I paid the fine without any protest. After I left the scene, I watched my speedometer very closely and realised that it was very hard to keep it below 50kmph if I stick to the flow of traffic. I kept braking to keep it below 50kmph, and then downshifted to 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
And your brother was found at the wrong side of it. If they would have stopped the helmet less rider and let your brother go, then that person could have made the same arguement.
Hardly... my brother doesn't even drive. And he was 400kms away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Just because it is 4 lane road does not mean that it should have a 60kmph or more speed limit. Looking at the video, you just crossed a pedestrian crossing. The traffic around you looks like city traffic.
Did you also happen to notice the speed I was making at the pedestrian crossing? If I was doing 55kmph, it was much before I neared the bus stop, where the cops were stationed. That was another thing, they were stopping the vehicles just before the bus stop. A moment after I stopped, a bus came and started honking at me for blocking access to the bus stop. You can see the bus stop right where I stopped.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 11:51   #105
BHPian

There is a speed interceptor just opposite the R.T. Nagar traffic police station on the way to climb the Hebbal Flyover on Bellary Road. They also take advantage of getting down with speed from the Mekhri circle/ Veterinary college flyover.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote