Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 13th April 2014, 13:32   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Bro got a speeding ticket.....guess for doing what speeds!

If a national highway passes just outside the city, like many bypass roads, do we need to adhere to the highway speed limits or to the city speed limits?
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 14:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Unfortunately the truth is not that they can't fine everyone it's because they choose to stop cars over 2 wheelers because it's easier to get money. You may argue over this but it's the truth.

The interceptor on route to my office will not stop Volvo buses or majority 2 wheelers but cars are immediately pulled over.
Plus one to your views. The cops will always pounce on easy prey. And they'll try to catch those who seem to have the ability to pay.

Even in the US, i was traveling in a Chinatown bus from DC to NY. The driver was driving at 85 mph, well over the speed limit. But nobody pulled him over. But I've seen a few cars being pulled over.

Quote:
Look at this way if the speed limit is 50kmph, and you have 2 offenders one doing 100 and other 55 which would you fine?
From the cops point of view, it would be safer to flag down the car doing 55 kmph. Pouncing on the car doing 100 would be risky from safety point of view, and also call for lots of co-ordination with others to catch the wayward driver. Cops being inherently lazy, will not put in extra efforts unless there is some reward in store for them. This is the hard truth.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 18:09   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did you also happen to notice the speed I was making at the pedestrian crossing? If I was doing 55kmph, it was much before I neared the bus stop, where the cops were stationed.
First of all, it is hard to tell the speed you were doing from a dashcam. Secondly, its not a question of what speed you were doing at the zebra crossing. I brought up the point about the crossing merely to indicate that it seems to be a fairly populated area and thus a speed limit of 50 seems fair enough. 4 lane or not.

Maybe the reason for them to station themselves where they were was that the traffic naturally slows down there and it is relatively safer for them to flag down vehicles. Yes it causes a minor inconvenience to other road users but from the cops' POV, they are fine with putting others through that inconvenience if it gives them a safer place to jump out in front of vehicles
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 06:59   #109
BHPian

On the Mangalore highway after Nelamangala, I once saw an interceptor at the big gas plant catching a taxi. I was wondering what are they doing out here. It was just ridiculous.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 09:40   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is there a right answer to this question? To me it sounds rhetorical. Since when have we started judging motor vehicle laws in terms of magnitude of the offence in a particular law? Both 55 and 100 kmph are wrong and challaning just one is not a reflection on the good or bad of the other driver.
drmohitg what you are saying is ideal scenario i.e both needs to be fined. In reality it is never the case. If the cop has a choice he must see which one poses a larger threat.

In the US, overspeeding is abundant. On 65 mph freeway you will be the slowest and get honked if you keep at 65. Traffic does 75-80mph easily. The cops don't catch. The minute they see a guy doing 80mph but changing lanes he's finished.

They call that fishing. Since everyone is above the limit, they catch the odd one out causing more risk.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 10:02   #111
BHPian

Few years ago, my dad was caught doing 80 on the WEH speed limit being 60, was really surprised the cop had a speed gun and he knew how to use it.
The other time there were around 15-20 cops once with speed guns on the Pune Mumbai expressway!
Catching no one!
manas27587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 13:31   #112
BHPian

Default Re: Ticket for speeding at 57 KMPH on Mysore Nanjangud road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Speed limits are not constant. They change (increase or decrease) based on the stretch of road, traffic conditions, proximity of schools / hospitals etc. So, while an open stretch of the road might indeed have the highest speed limit of 70kmph, another stretch might see it come down to 50 or even 40kmph. So we need to look out for the speed-limit boards put up along the road.
When I see a speed limit board of 40, I slow down. But there is usually no sign for 'restriction ends'. How do we make out the distance for which a 'speed limit road sign' is valid?
jinojohnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 14:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...They call that fishing. Since everyone is above the limit, they catch the odd one out causing more risk.
Tell me about it. The cops themselves cruise at a speed 10-15mph over the limit. The moment you overtake them, they turn on their beacons and siren and pull you over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
When I see a speed limit board of 40, I slow down. But there is usually no sign for 'restriction ends'. How do we make out the distance for which a 'speed limit road sign' is valid?
When I took my learner's license test, there was a sign for 'End of speed limit'. It's been almost a decade since I took the test and I'm yet to come across this elusive sign. To answer your question, it's best to go with the flow. Else you risk getting caught for speeding
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 14:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Bro got a speeding ticket.....guess for doing what speeds!

Cops catching people speeding above the limit is all very fine, but how do we know the speed guns are working correctly? What is the tolerance limit for the errors in the speed guns? Some time back in DNA, there was a report about how speed guns on the expressway are not really in a working condition. Who does the maintenance of speed guns? (Do they ever do it?) And how do the cops correctly caliber/adjust their speed guns for a particular speed limit?

I feel, more than actually saving lives and promoting awareness, these things are becoming tools to extract money from travellers.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 18:19   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Look at this way if the speed limit is 50kmph, and you have 2 offenders one doing 100 and other 55 which would you fine?
I was challaned once for driving 85 on a 70 zone.
What I learned from the officers is that the fine amount is a multiple of the excess speed, in my case (85 - 70) X 20 Rs.
To answer your question, both 100 and 55 should be fined proportional to the excess speed, as per law (forget the morality side).
But practically speaking, as the cops flag down only one vehicle at a time, the 100 would be flagged down, and the 50 would most probably be allowed to go, so that they can 'utilise' their time better by flagging the next 100.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 14th April 2014 at 18:22.
jinojohnt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 13:24   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ticket for speeding at 57 KMPH on Mysore Nanjangud road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
They call that fishing. Since everyone is above the limit, they catch the odd one out causing more risk.
The fishing analogy is indeed valid in this context (how cops catch only some offenders from a group of many) but in a different way, as seen from this conversation between a guy caught for speeding from among a group of many motorists, and the cop who caught him.

Guy : There were so many guys speeding. Why did you catch only me ?
Cop : Have you ever gone fishing ?
Guy : Yes.
Cop : Have you ever caught all the fish ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt
Valid till the next speed-limit comes up.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 13:35   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Tell me about it. The cops themselves cruise at a speed 10-15mph over the limit. The moment you overtake them, they turn on their beacons and siren and pull you over.

When I took my learner's license test, there was a sign for 'End of speed limit'. It's been almost a decade since I took the test and I'm yet to come across this elusive sign. To answer your question, it's best to go with the flow. Else you risk getting caught for speeding
You will find this "All limits Ende" sign in Europe.
It means, that now the posted speed limit ends, and you have to follow the maximum speed for this type of road.
For example, on a country road in Norway it means 80kmph, and 100kmph on a freeway.

In Germany it means - Whooooooooo
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 14:10   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You will find this "All limits Ende" sign in Europe.
It means, that now the posted speed limit ends, and you have to follow the maximum speed for this type of road.
For example, on a country road in Norway it means 80kmph, and 100kmph on a freeway.

In Germany it means - Whooooooooo
You get to see all the signs they ask you in driving tests, on the roads in EU and the US. It's in our Mera Bharat Mahaan that we miss quite a few beautiful road signs that we mug up for the learners license test.

The speed guns have an error of 5-10kmph. At least that's what I got to hear from colleagues in the US. And here, we get fined for doing 61kmph on a 60kmph zone.

The good thing with many of the vehicles we have here is that the speedo error is as much as +10kmph - a speedo indicated 60 maybe actually less than that (unless the tyres have been up-sized).
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 21:18   #119
BHPian

So what is the speed limit on highways? There's no sign on most of them. I presume within the city it is 40 kmph unless a lower speed is posted on a sign.
TheTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote