Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 5th July 2007, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

In India, dunno why we have the security guard performing the duties of a parking attendant/door opener. I mean.. they shouldnt be called security guards in the first place !!
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 20:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
In Bangalore it's a common problem with people putting up signs saying No Parking etc. on PUBLIC roads just because it's in front of their house (not obstructing the gate mind you - just in front of the wall). Really makes my blood boil. If you're too stingy to build a garage it really isnt anyone else's problem.

quite true.. but the problem arises when there are a bunch of college kids/execs on bikes, and they decide to park in front of the house. Invariably, they end up blocking a gate,or holding up traffic { especially if its a narrow street, as is seen in Indiranagar}.

The street that my house is on,connect the Double Rd in Indiranagar,to the 13th Cross. The traffic is always so much,that even a cycle thats parked outside the gate causes inconvenience. Thats when the 'NO parking' sign outside the house comes in handy.

A taxi driver decided to stop his car in front of our house,and it blocked the gate in front of the garage.He went to a nearby hotel,and it took him over 1hr to return. My dad had to rush to the hospital to meet a relative,and thanks to the cab driver,he was held up. ..the only thing my dad wanted to do is to break the windshield of the taxi,but he settled in to remove the air from a tire.Its more of a common sense issue,since the road is really narrow,and parking a car would only create havoc. If its a broad street,then there's absolutely no problem.

I have moved 4-5 bikes,one after the other, so as to help easen a traffic block on the street. This was during my last visit to B'lore,and it made my blood boil when someone does something as stupid as this. A 5-10 min stop is fine,but make that 3+ hours,and that means an insane traffic jam.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 21:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

That was a nice read there EL thanks for sharing and if all of India's cops are like this then most of our problems will be solved.

Last edited by BUSA : 5th July 2007 at 21:39.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 22:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

For the record, this was a 60 feet wide road & enough traffic for 25 SUVs, 34 cars, 55 bikes & 10 jumbos to go through. For chennai folks, this was in the pazhamudhir solai shop in shanthi colony. i can understand the woes of the residents when one fine day they wake up to see that their friendly residential neighbourhood has been transformed into a commercial nightmare. I will never ever leave my vehicle hindering anyone's movements. I face the same problem in my flat where some fool decides to block my car from being taken out of my garage.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 23:17   #20
rks
BANNED

My policy in these situations is to never be confrontational. Recently I tried to park in what appeared to be a legitimate area on a public road, but the parking attendent refused to give me a ticket and said that the apartment owners do not like the car to be there, since it is "too close" to their entrance and will obstruct their view of the main road as they get in and out of their apartment complex. He said the parking is at my own risk and warned me that the apartment security people will let off air from my tyres.

Of course I heeded his advice and parked elsewhere. The thought of somebody tampering with my tyres always gives me the creeps.

Last edited by rks : 5th July 2007 at 23:20.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 02:11   #21
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
the apartment owners do not like the car to be there, since it is "too close" to their entrance and will obstruct their view of the main road as they get in and out of their apartment complex.
trust me, this is a big problem for residents. I live in a society adjacent to a shopping complex and the main gate opens onto a busy road. Getting out of the gate is normally difficult. To add to this, people park their cars right next to gate and this makes it impossible to see the cars/jay walkers/cycles/cows etc....we end up getting really frustrated with this.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 23:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think letting the air out is better than having your car keyed by these "Gaurds".

Hey John, you handled that pretty well. Nice of the cops to help you that way.. Were they the guys in the Accent Squad car.

Chennai Police rocks !!!!!
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 23:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Were they the guys in the Accent Squad car.

Chennai Police rocks !!!!!
No, this happened before the accents came, during the qualis time. Yeah, i was surprised to see how well the cop handled the situation too.
Old 15th August 2007, 17:56   #24
BHPian

Hee hee nice one John!

I'm surprised looking at you the watchman did not think twice before letting out the air.

Well in my case I always resort to name dropping of all the cops in copdom..My dad knows a few.

Still my problem is always with cops..watchmen simply know im too volatile.
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 18:30   #25
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I dont really think that its the guard's fault. Because had the car been parked and had the guard's boss seen an unidentified car over there he might have just blown up the guard. Its actually the bosses who are to blame, not the guards. All the guard is trying to do is save his job. IMHO
vidvai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 22:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidvai View Post
I dont really think that its the guard's fault. Because had the car been parked and had the guard's boss seen an unidentified car over there he might have just blown up the guard. Its actually the bosses who are to blame, not the guards. All the guard is trying to do is save his job. IMHO
And overdoing it a little just to make himself feel very important. Of course, i agree that the attitude of the boss filters down to the watchman. The stupid boss was made to personally visit me & apologize to get his wathcman released. That should have taught him a lesson, i hope.
Old 16th August 2007, 01:06   #27
Awaiting Email Confirmation

^^
LOL, thats more fun if the boss is some self proclaimed hot-shot. Thats what everyone in bbay thinks themselves to be...
But sometimes i do feel alittle sorry for guards who get caught in such situations, many a times in delhi and mumbai i have been in situations when the guard has simply said "Sahab, aap mere boss se baat kar lo, agar hamne aapko bina pooche gaadi lagane di, toh hamari naukri chali jaayegi." (Sir, please speak to my boss, if i let you park without asking him, i will lose my job.)
vidvai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 09:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

All i remember from this episode was John landing a 'gentle' fist on the watchman's nose. LOL !!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 09:56   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
No, this happened before the accents came, during the qualis time. Yeah, i was surprised to see how well the cop handled the situation too.
you have accent cop cars in TN! we have bolero's over here

i find this episode to be all haywire!
either that cop is a very good citizen or was expecting a huge bribe
or the mostly true reason "you have too many friends in too many high places"
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 10:06   #30
Team-BHP Support

Xinome, Probably out of topic here, but here is a pic of the Accent which cops in TN use. We also have a thread on this on our forum.

benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote