Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th May 2013, 13:40   #301
BHPian

Kicksperlitre , is your laura a vRS? For the last 15 min I've been trying to comprehend how you could maintain such a high average speed.I've driven at high speed, but I could'nt maintain it,since a lorry would eventually appear.Or a cycle guy would arrive on the horizon.I was just looking up the average speed in F1 tracks and you've beaten monte carlo and valencia!
Are the roads from hyd to blr,arrow straight? You did not encounter any traffic in 9am bangalore? Has any other bhp-ian come close to this average speed for more than 3 hours?
Blown away- Nijel

Mod Note: Post edited. Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th May 2013 at 15:18.
nijelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 19:14   #302
BHPian

Default Re: Longest Drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Kicksperlitre , is your laura a vRS? I could'nt maintain it,since a lorry would eventually appear.Or a cycle guy would arrive on the horizon.
I was just looking up the average speed in F1 tracks and you've beaten monte carlo and valencia!
Are the roads from hyd to blr,arrow straight? You did not encounter any traffic in 9am bangalore?Has any other bhp-ian come close to this average speed for more than 3 hours?
Blown away- Nijel
Hey Nijel,

My Laura is TDI with Pete's performance.

I am fortunate, because during my travel, there was a telangana strike going on and all inter-city buses had stopped for that period.

I have traveled quite number of times in this route and I would vouch most of the Lorry traffic I have seen is during night.

And NO I didn't find traffic around Bangalore during 9am and I usually take the ORR.
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 20:35   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
left his house at 5.30am early morning and reached my Bangalore residence at 10am. .
First of all,would like to wish you both a very happy married life .
I did airport to airport in about 6 hours, but to do starting point to destination in less then 5 hours must have been real fun .
I think blore - hyd is one of the best routes to drive .
What speeds you were doing bdw ? last time we went for a Tbhp meet to kurnool , we noticed Santros doing 120+ on that route , lol

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 18:35   #304
BHPian

My longest drive was from Ahmedabad to Vizag in May 2012. Vehicle was a brand new just delivered Safari 2.2 Dicor LX. I was the only driver with my wife as the passenger. We bought the car in Ahmedabad and were taking it to Vizag where we live. Distance was about 2000km via Mumbai-Solapur-Hyderabad and time taken was about 40hrs. It was a continuous drive with two absolutely sleepless nights. We were delayed by more than 8 hrs near Thane due to a huge traffic jam and were further delayed by about 5 hrs in Hyderabad as we entered the city to have lunch at my aunt's place. The second night, my body couldnt take it anymore and was forced to rest in the car for two hrs on the highway. It was the riskiest but the most adventurous drive we undertook. Can never forget it. I even taught my wife how to drive the Safari in this journey .
sandeepc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 11:54   #305
BHPian

Longest drive: Mumbai to Bangalore (precisely, from Andheri in Mumbai to KR Puram in Bangalore)
Distance covered: 1030 kms in 19 hours including all pit stops.
Max speed: 140 Kmph (without AC)
Highway: NH4 all the way. NH4 now also bypasses the busy Katraj ghat in Pune by a Tunnel which saves almost one hour of travel on NH4.
Total Toll cost: Rs.1000/-
Road conditions: Superb, around 90% butter smooth roads. Road widening is going on in some areas making it four lane on each side. Road Diversions are made making traffic bottlenecks (slow moving).
Satshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 08:54   #306
BHPian

In 2003, we drove all the way to Srinagar, J&K, from New Delhi over two days in our WagonR. On the first day, we travelled to Udhampur, that is about 630 kms in 12 hours, from 7 am to 7 pm, we took several stops for food, tea, etc. The next day, we continued to Srinagar, that is around 230 kms from Udhampur, around 9 am and reached around 1.30-2 pm after we had taken a few stops.

In 2004 again, we drove to Srinagar, in our Indica V2, this time we drove on the first day from New Delhi to Katra (Vaishno Devi), and on the third day after we had visited the temple, we drove to Srinagar.

On both occasions, we took our car further to one or more of these places - Gulmarg, Sonamarg, Pahalgam and even upto 'ChandanVaadi' ( I hope it is called this only ), a place that comes on one of the routes to Amarnath, via Pahalgam. At that time, it was not the season of the yatra, so we could take our car till this place.

I still miss the Rajma Chawal with Ghee and Pickle that we had on our way to Srinagar, which is served in every Dhaba in that town called Peera (Ramban).
vishalchaudhary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 10:04   #307
BHPian

This is in March 2012, been to following places in family trip in my Cruze -

day1 - Pune-Ahmedabad
day2 - Ahmedabad - Udaipur
day5- Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Jaipur
day7- Jaipur-Agra & return same day
day8- Jaipur-Himmatnagar (nr Ahmedabad)
day9- Himmatnagr-Mumbai
day10- Mumbai-Pune

This being my longest drive till date ~3000Kms of highways and city siteseeing.
sanstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 10:24   #308
BHPian

We did a Mumbai-Kochi trip this April in our Passat. That was the longest drive I've ever been on.
It took us one and a half days to reach, with a stopover in Bangalore.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 16:49   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
I still miss the Rajma Chawal with Ghee and Pickle that we had on our way to Srinagar, which is served in every Dhaba in that town called Peera (Ramban).
Absolutely. Never had such amazing food anywhere else! Lets see when can I visit it next. IIRC, there is another town enroute Srinagar from Jammu that is pretty famous for 'patisa'. Even that was lip smacking stuff!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 17:13   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

IIRC, there is another town enroute Srinagar from Jammu that is pretty famous for 'patisa'. Even that was lip smacking stuff!
That town is called 'Kud' and comes before 'Patnitop'. The most famous shop there is 'Prem Sweets', I think, and they don't cut the 'Patisa' into pieces, like it is available in Delhi or anywhere else. I know it is , but these are the things that make such long journeys less tiring and more enjoyable.
vishalchaudhary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 20:40   #311
BHPian

This weekend did a long drive to Bangalore - Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram - Bangalore, total of 1700+ kms.

Day 1: Bangalore - Kanyakumari
Day 2: Kanyakumari - Rameshwaram
Day 3: Rameshwaram - Bangalore

http://goo.gl/maps/yE6Sg

Road between Kanyakumari - Thoothukudi is bad. They are making road in most of the places.
500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 20:47   #312
Senior - BHPian

My longest drive in a day in terms of distance covered is from Boston MA to Washington DC in this May with some small diversions. It was about 500 miles and took about 10 hours. In India I have driven similar distances in one day, between Bangalore and Trivandrum, but took about 12 hours with no diversions.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 21:07   #313
Senior - BHPian

2220 kilometers. Caspar, Wyoming to Columbus, Ohio, alone, sleep breaks in the vehicle, radar detector, police scanner and C.B. radio. That's 85kph average over 26 hours. That's a lot of coffee and french fries. Was nearly hallucinating near the end.

I have no particular desire to do anything like that again
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 15:55   #314

Wow. It was thrilling to read through everyone's experiences.
The longest I have done is Pune-Karwar via Goa - 550 kms.

Until Goa, the drive was a pleasure, but beyond which the traffic really got heavy and I went into survival mode (1st through 3rd gear for most of the part)

While coming back, I chose Karwar-Belgaum-Kolhapur-Pune - . The Karwar Belgaum route just after sunset through the Anshi National parm was a thrill. Zero traffic, thick forest. I recommend it to passionate drivers.
ThatisUberCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 23:37   #315
BHPian

In Dec'12, I did a non-stop from Trivandrum Airport to Bangalore West,
Except stopping for fuel re-fill for less than 5 minutes at Madurai bypass

It was almost 750Kms, started at 2:30PM and reached home 12:30AM, exactly 10 hours.
Atleast spent an hour at the toll boths, else it could have been earlier.

The night traffic after salem was lot of pain, specifically at the toll.
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote