Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th July 2007, 17:29   #46
BHPian

Even oil/diesel spillage could be the culprit in this case.
fash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 06:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

I think that the situation can be avoided(to some extent) if the Swift was equipped with ABS.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 10:10   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I think that the situation can be avoided(to some extent) if the Swift was equipped with ABS.
Not really. micraft's car side stepped probably due to the sudden turn he took. ABS helps ONLY when you apply brake.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 00:56   #49
BHPian

Default Standing water and aquaplaning.

I am pretty sure that standing water( by which I gather you mean more than 2 mm) is not a prerequisite for aquaplaning.
Even a very thin film of water and speeds above 70kmph will suffice to bring about aquaplaning based on various other contributory factors which you can gather from the links. If standing water was a prerequisite for aquaplaning which is not there on race tracks then Schumi would not be wasting time in the pits to change tires from slick to rain tires (Wet weather extensively ribbed tires).
Any thickness of water layer on the road is standing water so in that sense you would be right but standing water does not mean that it should be more than a particular thickness.

Bye and wear your seat belts.

Aquaplaning - The Hidden Danger of Driving In the Wet

Aquaplaning@Everything2.com

Rubber: directional tyres

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 04:38   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

You don't aquaplane on a wet road, you skid! I suspect that some people who have skidded on a wet road may think that it was aquaplaning, but there is quite a difference.

I don't think anyone mentioned a minimum... maybe 1mm is enough, i don't know but more than a film of water is required.

Also a certain minimum speed is required --- that first link explains it pretty well.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th July 2007 at 04:52. Reason: now checked out the links
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 10:55   #51
Team-BHP Support

I think Thad has a point, this must be a skid scene rather than aquaplane. He mentions it was a turn and usually they are notorious for diesel spills from heavy vehicle, along with water this is a deadly combo for skid/spin.

Again let me tell you, i drive a Vxi with stock tyres also (quite often) and its a dangerous car (with those tyres).
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 17:59   #52
BHPian

Default Standing water and aquaplaning.

I guess those who have seen the first five minutes of the Grand Prix today and heard the commentators would have understood that standing water can be there even on a grand prix circuit and that even miniscule amounts of water on the track is enough to initiate Aquaplaning. With the right set of tires and speed you could bring about aquaplaning by even spitting on the tracks in front of the tires. Aquaplaning just means that there is thin layer of fluid between the tire tread and the road when traction is lost.The finest film of water is sufficient to bring about aquaplaning. A skid is when traction is lost with the absence of any intermediary fluid layer between the tire tread and the road.
Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 22nd July 2007 at 18:01.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, Micraft, thank your stars you have got through unhurt, and without causing hurt to anyone else.
I must thank you for posting this, as it educates us on how not to drive,especially on steep curves. It is foolish to overtake before any blind curve.
Reminds me of an experience in mid 70s (when I was a school kid), when I was travelling from Cal to Bhubaneswar in an chauffeur driven Ambassador, in heavy rain. The driver suddenly veered to avoid a pothole, and the car turned 180 degrees in 2 seconds flat! There were no seatbelts in those days ! Luckily there was no traffic.
With that in mind, I never take risks, especially on wet roads.
Drive safe !
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:00   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

drpullockaran No... please check out the links that another member posted a page or two ago on aquaplaning.

You could maybe skid if someone with a very big mouth spat in front of your wheel, but a thin film (ie wet) road will not get you aquaplaning. There really has to be water there, not just wet.

It is a very similar feeling to being on ice, though I have, I'm glad to say, never driven on ice at the speeds necessary for aquaplaning!

A skid can be on ice, oil, wet surface --- even gravel. The wheels do not loose contact, but do loose grip.

Aquaplaning --- you're floating.

Believe me, you'll know if it happens to you!

(Here's wishing you a long life of not finding out )
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 10:53   #55
BANNED

Lucky Guy.

I have Aquaplaned a lot. It is reallay dangerous situation where you have no control on the vehicle for a few seconds.

I have also skidded. I own RWD cars only.

I had a question and wish someone could answer me by PM.
My one Front Tyre had worn out. The Other Front Tyre has been worn very slightly. I have just bought One New Tyre as there was only One New Tyre with the Same Tread for sale. What should I do ?

Should I keep the New Tyre & Slightly Scrubbed Tyre in the Front & keep the rears as before ?

I drive a RWD Car.

Thank You for the inputs.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:08   #56
Team-BHP Support

Supercars, i'm not sure if this answers your question, but take a look : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ront-back.html (Purchasing two new tyres should i install it in front or back)

Its fairly relevant to this thread as well.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 16:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

You should really get 185s in your Swift. It does change the road grip a lot. Try to get tires which can handle wet roads in a bit more better way, like the XM1s. The 165s we get with those button like tread patterns aren't any good. They have terrible road noise also.

I know that road very well, and as per your writeup, a car like Swift loosing control at speeds like 70s in that road is not very likely unless it was raining and the road was wet. I remember taking on curves in that road at speeds above 80 with 185 Michelins of my car effortlessly.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote