Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th July 2007, 23:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Bad incident, but then there is hardly anything we can do in those situations.
Atleast in your case they had conscience enough to gather up even Rs 400. I think you must have felt very bad in taking that sum but going by your logic seems quite right.

I was once rear-ended by an Amby Taxi and the Amby's radiator gave way, whereas nothing happened to my car. The chap demanded money for rear-ending me on a traffic light and surprisingly he had supporters. Anyway Laughed out of that place.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 23:30   #17
BHPian

Autowallahs (in Delhi at least) only keep a little change in their pocket... they either have a fanny pack, or keep the rest of their money in the underwear.... if you had taken the guys pants off, you may have gotten your 8K. :P
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 00:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, all I can say is that autowallahs in Hyd are much more civilized than the ones in Cal. Here, if you get into a panga with one of them, ten more will converge on you to make life a living hell for you. Fat chance of them coughing up any dough, even a token amount. More likely you'll end up paying them!! It's almost a mafia thing... you cannot touch them. They have their fellow autowallah-pals, and then they have their unions.

Last edited by razor4077 : 21st July 2007 at 00:04.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 00:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Hmmm, all I can say is that autowallahs in Hyd are much more civilized than the ones in Cal. Here, if you get into a panga with one of them, ten more will converge on you to make life a living hell for you. Fat chance of them coughing up any dough, even a token amount. More likely you'll end up paying them!! It's almost a mafia thing... you cannot touch them. They have their fellow autowallah-pals, and then they have their unions.
But Auto is one mode of transport Calcutta cannot do away with, so its a likely pain that will not go, given the horrific layout of the city (which isn't as big as one gets to feel)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 00:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to hear your experience.

I got rear-ended by an Innova two days back. A biker cause me to brake hard (Although not too hard), and like you said 1, 2... and bang. The innova guy behind didnt notice that i braked. Good thing that traffic was almost at 20 kmph. There is only a dent on the bumper. But still :(
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 00:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

My Swift got a big dent from a motorcyclist on ownership day 4!

I showed it to the guy who sold us the car who gave it a push and shove: 90% dent gone.

At the first service they tried to sell me Rs5,000 new rear bumper: I asked them to just do the best they could --- and you need to look very, very hard to see it is not perfect.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 17:17   #22
BHPian

When such things happen what's the law saying (ignoring triviality of damage, cost of time,money etc)? I mean are we supposed to go to court to sue the auto driver or just claim insurance without suing? This is not rash driving as the auto had just as good an excuse as you.

Once I had kissed an auto in a foolish reverse move (done because I almost skipped the signal) though my wife was screaming not to reverse because of the auto. My mind was so preoccupied about the policeman staring at me for skipping red.. Got away with Rs.200 paid for the dent in his front and nothing to the policeman..
ggkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 17:30   #23
BHPian

What's the law supposed to do in case there is an accident (i.e. no fault can be attributed to either party) ? That's why you have insurance. If the guy is driving rashly / drunk-driving, then you can have him booked under criminal charges - but even then you won't get much compensation... the idea is that if the damage is significant, use insurance, otherwise suck it up.
vebmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 17:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

I had seen an NHC rear ended by a WagonR on NH4. No apparent damage to the WagonR, but the NHC bumper and boot had completely caved in !! Crumple zone is not a good thing for low speed accidents !!
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Bad incident, but then there is hardly anything we can do in those situations.
Atleast in your case they had conscience enough to gather up even Rs 400. I think you must have felt very bad in taking that sum but going by your logic seems quite right.

I was once rear-ended by an Amby Taxi and the Amby's radiator gave way, whereas nothing happened to my car. The chap demanded money for rear-ending me on a traffic light and surprisingly he had supporters. Anyway Laughed out of that place.

It did feel very odd when demanding compensation from an auto wala and it felt worse when accepting the paltry compensation of Rs 400. But had i let him go just like that, i would have felt much worse. The jerk would have learnt nothing from this incident and would be back to being a menace in no time.
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Wonder whats with the Fords and the Auto's? Benny are you reading ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Guess they are like bees & honey.
Xbox, sorry about what happened to the car. But atleast you were able to cough up some money from the moron.

Riju, John : i was amazed myself at this thread. Maybe the only way to prevent autos from swarming towards a Ford vehicle is to rename it as 'Not a Ford'.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

atleast you got something - considering the other auto's pooled in money, guess you need to record this day in history!
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:11   #28
Team-BHP Support

One day, end up rear ending a Lancer, while on my way to college.
Used to ride a Splendour.
The car was trying to overtake a bus, I was right behind it.
Bus guy cutoff the car, car brakes, bike brakes, car brakes are better.
anyways, I parked my bike, got over to the car owner, apologised.
Told him, I would wait for an FIR or whatever it was he needed.
My bike insurance will pay for his damage and I would take the blame.
He was amused, looks at me kinda funny and we exchange names and stuff.
I tell him, am a student.
He gives me his card, VP at a big s/w company.
I blurted out, "do you do campus recruitment, too" with such a sad face.
He started laughing.
anyways, he said its a company car and it will be fixed and treated like a hit and run case.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 23:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
What's the law supposed to do in case there is an accident (i.e. no fault can be attributed to either party) ? That's why you have insurance. If the guy is driving rashly / drunk-driving, then you can have him booked under criminal charges - but even then you won't get much compensation... the idea is that if the damage is significant, use insurance, otherwise suck it up.
arent we missing something here?

Most of the time, the rash drivers dont regretted when an incident happens or breaks a rule, just with an idea, that they can got out of it. And our inability to book them, is further fuelling their confidence levels.

This is a very tricky situation, as going by law would consume time and doesnt give you the complete conpensation. It isnt that I would go by the long arm of law, but I raise this, so that we can have some discussion on this too.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 23:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Autos just like squeezing their way through and like to muscle their way past cars.. However when I drive bros Scorpio, they not so surprisingly keep away. at junctions they wait for the Scorpio to pass.

Hell on one drive to chickbalapur on a Tempo trax, some scorpios kept away. Its all about the car you drive...

Finally looking for compensation or a sorry from an auto driver... Thats just asking for too much in any city. :(

These are the reasons why I want to buy a cheap MM540 XDP with a huge Bull Bar in front and stick a "I Hate Autos" sticker in huge font on the front (and back).
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote