Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st July 2007, 14:18   #16
BHPian

It has happened to me on two occasions. Once I was driving on a one-way which I really didnt know. It was a cross road (near Nammura hotel JP nagar) where there were hardly any vehicles. The constable caught me and said, "boss where are you going?" I promptly said, 'going home! without realizing it was one-way' He said 'I know, but this is one-way'. He then asked me to talk to the inspector. I spoke to him for about couple of minutes in a gentle tone with a genuine grim look. He asked me to go back, the same way that I came that too with a smile.

The other occasion, the inspector let me go without an emission test certificate.

Basically, it is how you deal with them that matters most. You have to start with a 'Sir' and local language really helps! I have seen most people open their wallet immediately when they are caught. 'duDDu jaasti -category' They will pay the most!!!
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 15:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

In delhi, once I was stopped after midnight on my bike at a check post and they asked me to show all the papers and licenses.

My PUC was not valid and he noticed it and said in hindi "Your PUC has expired and you look educated, get it renewed" and he let me go.

Although when I was putting everything back into the bike, I saw him collecting money from the truckers crossing.

Another time in Delhi during the day, a traffic cop stopped me, was on the bike with a friend who had fever and he was wearing a jacket, although it was warm. The cop asked me to show papers, while I was taking them out, he asked my friend why he was wearing a jacket, to which he replied, cos of fever, cop checked his forehead and asked us to leave, without even checking the papers.

The crux is, be polite with them and you can get away, by trying to act smart you ask for more trouble.

Last edited by dadu : 31st July 2007 at 15:11.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 15:16   #18
BHPian

Hi,

One experience from Kochi.
I was going in hurry to my friends home, where his brother in law was found dead. My friend was out station and called me at office and asked me to reach there as soon as possible.
I was going on without wasting time, and a call came on my mobile. This was from my friend's cousin who was also staying nearby. For the first and last time in my life, I took the call without stopping the car, but I slowed down to 30-40 kmph. All of a sudden a cop emerged from no where and waved hand to stop. He asked me "what is this?" I told him, I am going to a place where a young man is found dead, and in big tension, so forgot to stop, please forgive etc. He some how felt that I was telling truth. He said don't drive in such situation, take some other vehicle and go. Also he advised me to take some water. Good soul, don't know his name, but that face I still remember.
abhilash_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 15:18   #19
BHPian

Definitely.. I was once stopped by a traffic cop as I ran a red light and he asked me for license etc. He also noticed I had a modified car and just asked generally about it. He said he would let me go for 50 bucks. I did not have change so I handed him a 100rupee note, he was 'kind' enough to go to the local general store nearby and got me 2 x 50 rupee notes out of which he took one. Then he thanked me for stopping and not zooming away as according to his own experience, none of the modified cars stop.

I think that was the first and last time a cop was 'kind' to me
z klasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 15:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread rahul!

Have come across few good cops myself, there was a big drive or someithing i gues to catch the two wheelers, so a huge bunch of cops on airport road waiting for the two wheelers. so saw them pulling few 2wheelrs in front so i thought wont give them any trouble instead of they pulling me i went to them myselfand slowed down. here i was surprised when a cop told "nimna yar nilake heldru nevu hogi"( who asked you to stop, you proceed) I gave thema smail and moved, while the guys who were trying to run away were being pulled
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 16:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since i don't drive on the roads, i have not had any experience with cops but once me an a few friends were waiting outside another friends house at around 11.30 pm. Since there were a number of us, we had two cars, one driven by my friend and another driven by my driver.
We parked the cars outside my friends building and my friends got out from the other car and came towards our car and were talking. They were standing and we were sitting.
While we were talking, a cop on a bike stopped near our car and asked if there was anything wrong. We politely told him no and that we were waiting for a friend and so the cop left with a smile.
While this doesn't seem important, the fact is it could have resembled an post accident scene where 3 - 4 guys were leaning into another car and arguing with the driver.
It felt really nice to know that cops are on the vigil.
even out here, I see cop vans patrolling the area late in the nights at 1 - 2am, always abiding the law and sticking to the left to allow faster cars to overtake.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 17:58   #22
BHPian

Good thread. Few years back, I was riding my bike on Bannerghatta road and at J.P.Nagar junction cop stopped me for documents. I realised that the docs are at home as the bike is just out of regular service. I told the cop that RC book and insurance papers are at home and I can bring it if you need to verify. He believed me and asked me to go, and the next day morning I took all the papers and produced them to him!
Selective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 20:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for being off-topic. Sir, if you don't drive on roads then where do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Since i don't drive on the roads, i have not had any experience with cops
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 20:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

There is always a certain kind side to everyone. Its just that sometimes we get judgemental by certain experiences. But there is no such person as a BAD person (unless he needs pshychological help)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 23:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Sorry for being off-topic. Sir, if you don't drive on roads then where do you?
I am only 17.
1 an a half more months to go.
Mainly in the building. Am trying to perfect my parking at the moment.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 01:12   #26
BHPian

kind hearted cops do exist, if not then your a mear alien!

it was around 8 in the morning and i was to be at the office at 8:30 have to drive to office 28 to 30 km away from home in horendus traffic conditions. today was a good day and no traffic at all.

got my suit on, gave a spec of shine to my glasses and sped of to work.

with no traffic at all, i let the car do all the screeming and let the beast rip.

10 more minutes or i am late for good CRAP i say

130 + now struggling with a 796 cc engine
did a stupid overtaking stunt on the bridge, then from no where a police guy telling me to stop i stop atleast a km and half away he comes running to me and says where are you going in such a hurry, i say if i dont reach the office on time i will loose my job, he says gimme 100 rs and u can be off - i give him the money and he gives me a 100 rs money recieved paper as well and i am off,

dont worry i didnt loose my job but i did quit after a couple of months at the job hehehe.

Last edited by xinome : 1st August 2007 at 01:13.
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 09:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Good thread. Few years back, I was riding my bike on Bannerghatta road and at J.P.Nagar junction cop stopped me for documents. I realised that the docs are at home as the bike is just out of regular service. I told the cop that RC book and insurance papers are at home and I can bring it if you need to verify. He believed me and asked me to go, and the next day morning I took all the papers and produced them to him!

Hey how did you recognise its the same cop who stopped you a day before ?

Di he give you any looks ? Would love to meet him sometime

Btw, I do see some great cops on airport road and at indian express circle. They help people asking for directions, old people waiting to cross the roads at Manipal Hospital and PRIORITY ALWAYS to AMBULANCES, whatever it may be the case. But we all know how NASTY BLR traffic has become.

Sometimes, I do tell them hi and shake hands with Policeman NOT Traffic Policeman, makes me feel happy

Ram P
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 10:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

After reading the thread title - I thought the thread would contain horror stories about policemen - but its the other way round.

Good to hear that you guys have had pleasant experiences with traffic cops.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 11:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hey how did you recognise its the same cop who stopped you a day before ?

Di he give you any looks ? Would love to meet him sometime
In the first place when he did let me go, I was feeling guilty that he didnt even punish me. I could remember this cop with big tummy that was not difficult. When I went upto him next day, the way he saw me and the papers was like dont waste my time, keep moving! These guys really have hectic and tiring job in hand.
Selective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 13:42   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Some have a sense of humour:

Just to the south of Adyar bridge, there's a couple waiting to cross the road on a pedestrian crossing. The policeman signals the traffic to stop.

just as three-plus lanes of traffic has come to a halt, they change their minds and walk off.

I was stopped next to cop, caught his eye --- and we both burst out laughing
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote