Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2007, 16:25   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 221 Times
Thumbs up Traffic Cop's ENCOUNTER by me finally :-)

Team,

This happened during my recent Pune trip. Got stuck in a debate with a corrupt traffic cop and emerged a winner leaving him devastated... I must confess I did it deliberately but my heart is at peace now and have no regrets for what I did. The story goes like this.

Scenario (I had all the documents including originals but wanted desperately to make a fool of the corrupt cop...)

Seeing a AP registered vehicle coming across, the cop standing in the middle of the road (with a grin on his face and eyes enlightened) instructed me to stop and get the car on the side of the road. I did the same. There were two cops. One was constantly 'hunting' for his bread and butter on the road while second was now upto me.
(Conversation was mostly in Hindi and Marathi....Some Marathi conversation translated to Hindi and english for convenience)

He: kahaan se aa rahe ho ?
Me: Andhra

He: Andhra to dikh raha hai, andhra mein kaha se ?
Me: Hyderabad se...

He: License dikha
Me: Ye dekho... (showing xerox to him)
He: nahi nahi ye nahi chalta..aisa chalta hi nahi idhar.. Original mangta..
Me: Ab cchodo na sir..jaldi hai...sab kuch hai mere paas...
He: Mujhe duty karne de...original license....
Me: ruko...dekhta hoon...(showing attested xerox this time..)
He: ye kya hai...
Me: sir attested xerox hai...sab jagah chalta hai...wo gadgeted officer ne bataya yahi dikha do ho jayega...license kaha leke jaun saab....ghum gaya to mushkil se milta hai...yahi dekh lo...
He: Chalan faadna padega.... accha bol RC hai??
Me: haan sir...wait... (I spent 2 minutes unnecessarily here...and then showed the RC print copy)
He: tum itni door se aaya tumhare paas ek bhi original nahi....printouts dikhata hai....
Me: Sir original nahi to kya...attested copy hai sir...gadgeted officer ka....har jagah chalta hai....humare Andhra mein bhi...aisach hai...

He: Insurance de...
Me: ye lo.. (showed him insurance copy which is obvious)

He: Chalaan faadta hoon...absence of originals...chaabi de de...court se chalan bharke leke jaana.. ( here my car keys are in my pockets..already removed...)
Me: kaahe ka chalaan saab...ab cchodo na...adjust kar lo....student hoon...kya aap bhi....trucks ko pakdo na...
He: dekho 2000 rs fine hota hai....court se bharke le lena.....
Me: arre saab jaane ka hai....ab kya court kachehri.....adjust kar lo na ....
He: accha kya karne ka bol fir...tu bol...
Me: aap hi batao sir...student hoon...adjust kar lo...
He: 500 nikal chal....ja jaldi...
Me: 500 kahaan se sir....attested to hai na.... rules dikhao....
He: rules dekhna hai kya tere ko....chalaan faadta hoon 2000 ka fir rules dekh......
Me: bus kya sir..aise hi bolaa..... 100 mein dekh lo na .......
He: jamta nahi....upar dikhana padta hai....

Me: arre ek min saab...mera luggage hai....ek min dekhta hoon...shayad originals mil jaaye....wait haa... (at this time the grin and shine on his face was about to sink...and grown on my face )

after some deliberate drama, got out my original license and RC and showed to him...he was such a big loser.... couldnt say a word...and now...turns the subject...not willing to give up...

He: PUC de...
Me: sir my vehicle is not yet 6 months old...still 10 days to go...
He: month aise count nahi hota....feb mein hai RC mein likha...aur abhi July hai...ho gaye 6 months...PUC lagta....1000 rs fine hai....
Me: ruko na to maine bola kya PUC nahi hai...main bus bol raha tha ki aapko PUC mangna nahi chahiye gaadi ko 6 months nahi hua hai par mere paas PUC hai... (showed PUC to him...now guys you can't imagine what a pleasure I was enjoying and seeing his face...I can never forget...a big fish getting slipped away from his hands...)

after totally losing the plot...he finally resorted to a lame target...
He: Road tax bhara hai....
Me: ha sir....AP mein bhara hai....
He: to idhar kaise chala raha hai??? free mein///
Me: na sir...main to abhi kal aaya hoon aur parso jaunga... Road tax ke liye to 1 month se upar rahna padta hai....
He: main kaise maan loon tu kal aaya hai...kuch bhi bolega aur main haan bolu??
Me: ek min...ye dekho toll tax slips...kal ki date hai...aur ye PUC certificate par 20 din pahle ki date hai hyderabad se nikala hai....buss ho gaya???

Finally completely taken a back....he was like....oh god I can't express how I felt and how he was feeling.....total loser...shame on that guy...harrassing common people like us....for few bucks...with arrogant and rude attitude and manner..... god bless him for his sins..

Guys I know what I did was even not 100 % right...but I have no regrets...these people deserve tit for tat....
sforsarang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 16:45   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Guys I know what I did was even not 100 % right...but I have no regrets...these people deserve tit for tat....
Oh No - you were right man , don't worry. After all they also dramatise everything - so did you. It was beautiful

OT - yesterday on Palm beach road - I saw a cop standing on the white line that divides the 2 lanes in the middle of heavy traffic trying to peep into cars to see who has not worn a seatbelt. What if some one tries to overtake and can't brake in time ? Just imagine for 100 bucks our cops put their lives on line so that people follow rules and drive safely.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 29th July 2007 at 16:47.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 16:49   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,631
Thanked: 1,976 Times
Default

I think you took a very big chance there. Maharashtra cops are some of the most corrupt ones. I realized that on multiple occasions during my 12+ years of stay in Maharashtra (including 6+ in Mumbai).

On one instance one of my friends tried to play the same game (though the car was a local mumbai registered one). At the end of it the cops were infuriated. His exact wording was "pulis ko __________ samajhtaa hai?" and they just hit him a couple of times and packed him off in a police van. The next he knew was that they had filed a case of rash driving on the wrong side of the road. The case filed against him said that a police jeep chased them and then ultimately rammed their car to make it stop. And to prove their case they had rammed his Santro to a wall as well. It was a mess.

Although he got off the hook after paying a penalty of 25000 bucks. They apparently told one of the his friends that he should be made to understand that they could have put him behind the bars very easily for a long time if they wanted. Apparently it was an indication to the false recoveries of banned substances they show to make a case.

Moral: beware of getting into such muddles. Particularly in Maharashtra.

Last edited by ported_head : 29th July 2007 at 23:52.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Guys I know what I did was even not 100 % right...but I have no regrets...these people deserve tit for tat....
Absolutely not, You did the right thing !!! These cops need to get the taste of their own medicine...

Generally travellors dont have much time so they just settle it will 100-200 rupees and these cops take advantage of it.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 17:00   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Dude u did all fine. My dad always say give them photo copy or tell them to impound the vehicle because if you have the documents. Never give them original ever.

Once same happened to me the officer tried each and every thing just to ticket me, he checked everything from license till my car head light which was a little broken but didn't succeeded wasted my whole 15 - 20 mins. and i was in a hurry.

Plus whenever some cop pulls me over i turn on the voice recorder of my phone so everything gets recorded and can be used in court of law against the cop.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 17:19   #6
BHPian
 
WasavaTyres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 721
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

ha ha good,with the time he wasted on you I'm sure few truckers and other road users were spared from being asked to pull over. But we all know these guys,someone else must've had to cough up for what he lost out on you,in all probability a trucker.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 17:41   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,874
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

@sforsarang: Good for you man. The guy got what he deserved.

But... I agree with some of the others, like Zappo. There's always a chance that they will not let you off the hook that easily. And cooking up false stories to get their pound of flesh is nothing new in this country (not just Maharashtra). So, much as I hate playing to their tunes, sometimes its better to sacrifice 100 bucks and get away without further hassles. Not the honourable way out, but when in Rome you gotta do as the Romans do... and we live in an extremely corrupt country.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 17:49   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,584
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Zappos right.instead of Fooling around its better to finish it off with a fine/bribe.. i must say sforsarang is lucky to get off.Sometimes although your in the right cops tend to take out something or the other to put you in the wrong and just incase your trying to act smart and they find one single fault..thats the end of you.
Its a different thing with day time cops they are a little laid back..but to do a similar thing with Night duty cops needs real guts.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 17:53   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

Razor, I very much agree with what Zappo and you said, and most of the times I have done the same, because that time i was at fault. But this time I had all the documents and when you know you are rightly equipped it gives you immense confidence. As far as the drama plot is concerned, yes, I must admit that I had great backup names of district collector and Pune DYSP with me, but I hate to use their names in such cases. I could have just uttered any of their name, just could have made a single call and done !!!... Not in my dreams would I like to take the job of that cop away from him, and it is a pity on us if we use our backup for such stupid corrupt cops. Yes, had they done something of that sort (mentioned by Zappo), I would have gone to any extent...thats for sure.. and lemme tell... Its not that only we have our skin to save... They have their skin to be saved... and they have their job...they have their everything on stakes...when they do corruption...but we common people dont realise that they can also be at threat and succumb to pressure..thats it...

The moment you realise that these corrupt cops KNOW very well that it can cost them their job dearly... you get on the top of them..thats it..

On the lighter side, many a times in Nagpur we have done this thing on bike, as, it was all very well planned before... and whenever any of us get caught in their hands while on bike, we just get into a loud debate with them and take some powerful politicians or policemen's names and make a mock phone call to any of them (does it matter when the person picking up the phone is one of our friend only ).... and believe me guys....100 % times that technique was successful there.... the one who does something wrong...and has wrong intentions....fears the most than the one who is right in his place....always remember...just get on the top of them....
sforsarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 21:10   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

What you did was absolutely right. No regrets man. Reading about your encounter brought glee to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsarang View Post
Team,

This happened during my recent Pune trip. Got stuck in a debate with a corrupt traffic cop and emerged a winner leaving him devastated... I must confess I did it deliberately but my heart is at peace now and have no regrets for what I did. The story goes like this.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 22:07   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
On one instance one of my friends tried to play the same game (though the car was a local mumbai registered one). At the end of it the cops were infuriated. His exact wording was "pulis ko ____________ samajhtaa hai?" and they just hit him a couple of times and packed him off in a police van. The next he knew was that they had filed a case of rash driving on the wrong side of the road. The case filed against him said that a police jeep chased them and then ultimately rammed their car to make it stop. And to prove their case they had rammed his Santro to a wall as well. It was a mess.

Although he got off the hook after paying a penalty of 25000 bucks. They apparently told one of the his friends that he should be made to understand that they could have put him behind the bars very easily for a long time if they wanted. Apparently it was an indication to the false recoveries of banned substances they show to make a case.

Moral: beware of getting into such muddles. Particularly in Maharashtra.

That was one terrible incident. Goes to show how desperate the average cop can get.

Last edited by ported_head : 29th July 2007 at 23:54.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 23:43   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
IronWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Benga-loo-ru
Posts: 1,570
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think you took a very big chance there. Maharashtra cops are some of the most corrupt ones. I realized that on multiple occasions during my 12+ years of stay in Maharashtra (including 6+ in Mumbai).

On one instance one of my friends tried to play the same game (though the car was a local mumbai registered one). At the end of it the cops were infuriated. His exact wording was "pulis ko __________ samajhtaa hai?" and they just hit him a couple of times and packed him off in a police van. The next he knew was that they had filed a case of rash driving on the wrong side of the road. The case filed against him said that a police jeep chased them and then ultimately rammed their car to make it stop. And to prove their case they had rammed his Santro to a wall as well. It was a mess.

Although he got off the hook after paying a penalty of 25000 bucks. They apparently told one of the his friends that he should be made to understand that they could have put him behind the bars very easily for a long time if they wanted. Apparently it was an indication to the false recoveries of banned substances they show to make a case.

Moral: beware of getting into such muddles. Particularly in Maharashtra.
First off sforsarang awesome write up and I am sure you would have been dying to burst out launghing.

Zappo - If I every drive in MH - After reading your friends story, I think I will just pay the cop 100bucks even if I have all the papers in tact.

With the lame justice system they could even pin the banned substance on you by throwing it in your trunk. You would then be in jail for min of 3 months before you could start to plead your case in court.

Last edited by ported_head : 29th July 2007 at 23:56.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 00:13   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,631
Thanked: 1,976 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
First off sforsarang awesome write up and I am sure you would have been dying to burst out launghing.

Zappo - If I every drive in MH - After reading your friends story, I think I will just pay the cop 100bucks even if I have all the papers in tact.

With the lame justice system they could even pin the banned substance on you by throwing it in your trunk. You would then be in jail for min of 3 months before you could start to plead your case in court.
Its not a matter of paying the 100 bucks. Its about not to play with those police walahs. They have a hugely self inflated ego and they do not like to be made to look like a fool. In my friend's case (actually a friend's friend) the guy was doing something like sforsarang as far as I remember. And later when he produced the documents the SI or whoever was sitting in the gypsy took it to heart. and hence the ordeal.

So, what I said was to not toy with these guys unnecessarily. Its better to stay away from these people as far as possible. I think some years back there was a similar case in Delhi where some youngsters were making the police chase them through the night roads unnecessarily and were ultimately shot at? I remember having read that some years back.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 00:45   #14
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default

25000 rs only? In many places cops will shoot you and then win 1 lakh bravery award for shooting a terrorist
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 00:51   #15
BHPian
 
xinome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: I am lost....
Posts: 339
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

crap i only have originals in my car, need to take two xerox one duplicate and the other attisted duplicate
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman throws brick at traffic cop's motorcycle. Cop throws brick at woman. Cop sacked aargee Street Experiences 138 28th August 2015 08:27
Traffic Cop? No silly, thats a dummy! GTO The Indian Car Scene 45 5th April 2013 14:08
Finally finally finally finally... s4ch Introduce yourself 3 29th March 2012 19:44
News Chandigarh motorist drives away with traffic cop on bonnet EDIT Now in Pune dadu Street Experiences 41 3rd August 2009 15:00
Shocking - Mumbai Traffic Police encounter normally_crazy Street Experiences 41 10th July 2009 15:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks